My birthday ride

Old June 11th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default My birthday ride

I left home in Philly riding south through the Delmarva peninsula on Sunday
June 4th. My plans was to ride to Norfolk VA. However, I loaded a route in
my gps to St. Petersburg FL. There was a possibility that I would get there
on June 14th, my birthday. I rode fully loaded with tent and sleeping bag
covering 100 plus each full day of riding.
After visiting relatives in Norfolk, I decide to return to Philly with 502
miles total in five days. Details are here.
http://www.billcotton.com/74th_birthday_ride.htm

--
www.billcotton.com

Old June 11th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Bill Cotton wrote:
... My plans was to ride to Norfolk VA. However, I loaded a route in
my gps to St. Petersburg FL. ...

Nice to have an alternate route!

Congrats on your ride.

--Karen D.
50 miles on December 10 (in Michigan)?? Doubt it.

Old June 19th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Bill Cotton wrote:
a pretty good post.... --
www.billcotton.com

I have my own birthday ride scheduled. This October I hit the
milestone of 50. Sometime it doesn't seem possible, but checking my
ID, it does say I was born Oct. of 1956, so it must be true. Trying to
do something interesting, that makes a statement, I've decided to
return to my hometown of Houghton Lake, MI where I really learned the
joys of riding. HL is the largest inland lake in the state, about 64
miles to drive around. As a rite of passage, kids would ride their
bikes around the lake, churchs sponsored day rides, as did school clubs
for fundraising. My first trip around the lake was in junior high
school on a Scwinn type bike, with those big two inch tires, and one
gear (the rider). It started on a whim, and before I could stop
myself, I was on the other side of the lake, tired, thirsty, hungry,
and really regretting the decision. But, if I wanted to get home, I
had to keep pedaling. During my stay in Houghton Lake, I went around
the lake at least 10 times, after leaving the lake I've done four rides
while visiting on vacation. The last time was in 1995 when I visited
for my 20 year HS reunion. Now a ride for my 50th just seems to make
sense. Another rite of passage for a rite of passage.

I'll let ya know how it goes after the ride....

Stay safe on the roads....

Scoot
SDG