Mora Drive details on Billy Goats List

Old June 17th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Mora Drive details on Billy Goats List

I went up Mora Drive today here in Los Altos, CA. It was steep, but
nothing like say Moody Road. You can also go on past the gate into
Rancho San Antonio and ride into the main parking lot of the preserve.
The entire road is paved though there are some rough patches.

What I'm mailing about is to determine the distance and climb of Mora
Drive from Loyola Drive to the gate. Billy Gates list on ACTC lists it
as being a 600 feet climb in 1.6 miles. However, an older version
(2002) listed it as being a climb of only 370 feet. I'm curious to know
which one is accurate. If it is 600 feet, it is almost as bad as
Redwood Gulch.

Thanks and wishing you safe riding,

Shomati

Old June 18th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

wrote:
I went up Mora Drive today here in Los Altos, CA. It was steep, but
nothing like say Moody Road. You can also go on past the gate into
Rancho San Antonio and ride into the main parking lot of the preserve.
The entire road is paved though there are some rough patches.

What I'm mailing about is to determine the distance and climb of Mora
Drive from Loyola Drive to the gate. Billy Gates list on ACTC lists it
as being a 600 feet climb in 1.6 miles. However, an older version
(2002) listed it as being a climb of only 370 feet. I'm curious to know
which one is accurate. If it is 600 feet, it is almost as bad as
Redwood Gulch.

you are better off posting this question on ba.bicycles - which is more
local group - rather than this very huge group containing folks for all
over the world...

to answer your question regd. Mora Dr, head over to
http://www.actc.org/profiles/index.php

there you can choose different climbs and check out how they compare
against each other and it would be evident that Redwood Gulch is steeper
than Mora. But, then again it is till the Gate... not beyond. And that
could explain the difference you are seeing - one could be till the Gate
and other could be till the top?? I have never gone past the gate -
hence cannot guess...

i do not think there are any 18% grades (of Redwood Gulch) on Mora for
sure... For more detailed analysis of the climbs, see:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~lucasp/bike-grade.html

+ravi
Old June 23rd 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Thanks for the "ba.bicylces" advice. I'll keep that in mind for the
future. Your emails also prove my feeling that Mora Drive isn't as bad
as the Billy Goats list shows.

Shomati
Rick wrote:
wrote:
I went up Mora Drive today here in Los Altos, CA. It was steep, but
nothing like say Moody Road. You can also go on past the gate into
Rancho San Antonio and ride into the main parking lot of the preserve.
The entire road is paved though there are some rough patches.

What I'm mailing about is to determine the distance and climb of Mora
Drive from Loyola Drive to the gate. Billy Gates list on ACTC lists it
as being a 600 feet climb in 1.6 miles. However, an older version
(2002) listed it as being a climb of only 370 feet. I'm curious to know
which one is accurate. If it is 600 feet, it is almost as bad as
Redwood Gulch.

Thanks and wishing you safe riding,

Ravi is correct; this is probably more appropriate for ba.bicycles.

The steep part of Mora is just southeast of Eastbrook as you climb past
the house with all the curves and interesting wood shingle work. A
good source of information are the USGS maps. There is a marker near
the Esberg/Mora intersection at 288 ft elevation. The high point on
the road is 574 ft., so net gain from Esberg to the high point is less
than 300 ft. The junction with Loyola, just south of Foothill, is 239
ft elevation, so net climb from that junction to the high point is 335
ft. The top of the road is about 40 ft lower than the high point.
Since the high point is lower than 600 ft, and the road starts above
sea level, the only way the climb could have 600 ft of climbing is if
it does rollers - ups and downs .... which it does not.

- rick

Billy removes support from Peewee (seeXXXVII for a Laugh) Di Social Issues 3 October 29th 04 05:31 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Turn Six Dollars Into Sixty Thousand Dollars frank General 0 February 5th 04 06:54 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM