I get 3 miles per banana, do you?

Old March 24th 09, 04:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

Default I get 3 miles per banana, do you?

"Ryan Cousineau" .(clip) That this isn't an obvious result is a bit
surprising to me: you
can't spend much on fuel when the fruit costs less than a dollar at
retail. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
By the same token, the average shopper spends far more for groceries than
for the gasoline to get them home. Fuel costs are minor compared to food
cost, so how can we assume the truckers and shippers are spending less than
we are?

Old March 24th 09, 05:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ],
Ryan Cousineau writes:
In article ,
"Simon Mason" wrote:

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
This is where my data comes from...

(Specialized catalog)

"100 calories can power a cyclist for three miles; 100 calories can
power a car 280 feet"

And since a banana has roughly 100 calories, then you can go 3 miles
per banana.

But if you drive a car to the supermarket, then you can only run 1
block...

So after making sure all my numbers are correct, I'm off to work on my
next t-shirt...

"I get 3 miles per banana, do you?"

You have got to allow for the diesel burned by the ship from Trinidad as
well.

I once calculated it for watermelons, and it takes about a third of a
litre of diesel to move a watermelon across the Pacific Ocean. I believe
rail transport is even more fuel-efficient.

http://vancouver.metblogs.com/2008/0...-not-want-not/

Yes, it is easily possible to use more gas getting fruit from the store
to your house than it took to get it from the field to the produce
aisle. That this isn't an obvious result is a bit surprising to me: you
can't spend much on fuel when the fruit costs less than a dollar at
retail.

But you must remember, goods movement is highly
inter-modal. Those watermelons going across the
Pacific Ocean have to be offloaded by motorized
cranes, and moved around by all kinds of motorized
vehicles before they ultimately end up in the
supermarket or green grocer's. And then ports
generally have a bunch of security personnel,
supervisors and other staff driving around.

Import/export demands a lot of fuel & energy,
but those costs are mitigated by volume.
Some of that mitigation can be lost via storage
fees when goods can't be immediately transported
because the destinations don't have enough room
to receive it. Juggling lead-time/lag-time can
be a Black Art.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old March 24th 09, 05:19 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling

On Mar 23, 10:16*am, "Light of Aria"
wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

This is where my data comes from...

(Specialized catalog)

"100 calories can power a cyclist for three miles; 100 calories can
power a car 280 feet"

And since a banana has roughly 100 calories, then you can go 3 miles
per banana.

But if you drive a car to the supermarket, then you can only run 1
block...

So after making sure all my numbers are correct, I'm off to work on my
next t-shirt...

"I get 3 miles per banana, do you?"

Heart rate monitor says I can do 100 Kilocalories in about 6 minutes. That
gets me about 3 miles / 4.8KM give or take.

Sounds about right to me.- Hide quoted text -

you are burning 1000 kcal per hour ???? or do you cruise after 6
minutes or so burning about half that per hour ?
Old March 24th 09, 09:38 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
sergio

Let aside all calorimetric calculations, let me describe a well
addressed poster I once saw up on the wall, at a Caffe', in Selva di
Cadore.

Two cyclists, on foot, talking to each other.
One of them, holding a wine flask on his hands asks the other guy:
'How many chilometers per liter do you get?'

Sergio
Pisa
Old March 24th 09, 11:02 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_2_]

you are burning 1000 kcal per hour ???? or do you cruise after 6
minutes or so burning about half that per hour ?

1000 KiloCal's would be one hour of BodyAttack, 50 minutes run, or a one
hour high speed cycle chase or "Spin" equivelent.

I aim for 3,000 KCals a night 6 days a week, and average between 17,000 and
19,000 KCals per week (multi-sport).

On Friday's I do 2,000 KCal's in the morning, and then 2,000 KCal's in the
evening!

I get to my club in 15 minutes (always timed) and that uses about 300ish
KiloCals!

Sound's correct to me!

Sometimes I am knackered though and pottle along at half the pace on the way
home.

Old March 24th 09, 12:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 24, 3:02*am, "Light of Aria"

you are burning 1000 kcal per hour ???? or do you cruise after 6
minutes or so burning about half that per hour ?

1000 KiloCal's would be one hour of BodyAttack, 50 minutes run, or a one
hour high speed cycle chase or "Spin" equivelent.

I aim for 3,000 KCals a night 6 days a week, and average between 17,000 and
19,000 KCals per week (multi-sport).

On Friday's I do 2,000 KCal's in the morning, and then 2,000 KCal's in the
evening!

I get to my club in 15 minutes (always timed) and that uses about 300ish
KiloCals!

Sound's correct to me!

Sometimes I am knackered though and pottle along at half the pace on the way
home.

The typical number I have seen for the efficiency of converting fuel
energy to work for a human is 25%. 100Kcal in 6 minutes is 1163 watts
or about 290 watts of work. Of course the actual work would be less
since 100Kcal/6 minutes includes other energy use. Remembering that
the 290 watt number comes from a heart rate monitor so it is just a
crude guess, this is within reason.

jon

Old March 24th 09, 01:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_2_]

wrote in message
On Mar 24, 3:02 am, "Light of Aria"

[...]

AFAIR, 290-ish Watts/per hour is around about the number I see flash up on
"Gym" C.V. equipment too, sometimes lower, on exceptions and short bursts
higher too.

Old March 24th 09, 03:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Opus[_2_]

On Mar 23, 1:55 pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
This is where my data comes from...

(Specialized catalog)

"100 calories can power a cyclist for three miles; 100 calories can
power a car 280 feet"

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

The usual metric is bicyclists get about 900 MPG on the open, flat
road. One Gallon of unleaded regular (not oxygenated) has 33,000 Kcal.
Oxygenated regular has 31,800 Kcal/gallon, olive oil (consumable by
humans) has 33,000 Kcal/gal, whale blubber rendered to liquid has
slightly more at 34,000 Kcal/gal.

People sometimes forget how energy dense gasoline is compared to food
that humans can safely consume.

I get 20 miles to the $0.99 burrito.
Old March 24th 09, 04:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 24, 12:16*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ],
* * * * Ryan Cousineau writes:

In article ,
*"Simon Mason" wrote:

[...]

I think both moving a 5 ton SUV to the supermarket and shipping a
watermelon from foreign lands is wasteful, and directly responsible
for Climate Change, a stupid foreign policy in the Middle East, as
well as starving the local farmers, among other evils.

The slogan may just be, "Buy locally, Bike Locally"...

"How are you currently involved in the Transition movement?
I buy locally, bike locally a lot and grow a few of my own veggies."

http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/profile/MaryEister

OK, here's a T-shirt...

http://www.zazzle.com/buy_locallybik...15481131281264
Old March 24th 09, 04:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

'The slogan may just be, "Buy locally, Bike Locally"...'

Something funny about it: Both the local corporative supermarket and
the farmers market are at the same distance (1 mile)... Guess which
one I go to?

Wrong, I end up going to the corporation just because it's a nice,
safe ride and the local farmers market is a dangerous ride. I don't
support any of the business down there, unless and until they promote
bike facilities.