Can Saddles Restrict Bloodflow To Legs?

Old November 3rd 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Steve Sr.

Default Can Saddles Restrict Bloodflow To Legs?

Hello,

I am currently saddle shopping and are currently trying a Terry FLX
which was on sale at Performance. I went for my first ride today and
had little to no sit bones discomfort.

However, the saddle did feel kind of wide through the mid section to
the point that it might be restricting blood flow to my legs. The clue
was that my legs felt kind of heavy until I stood up. Then things felt
o.k. until after I had been sitting down for a while.

Am I imagining this or can this really happen? I don't think my sit
bones protrude very far but then I have no way of comparing to what a
saddle was originally designed for. I don't know if this could be a
contributing factor.

Thanks,

Steve
Old November 3rd 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
James[_8_]

On Nov 3, 11:38*am, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I am currently saddle shopping and are currently trying a Terry FLX
which was on sale at Performance. I went for my first ride today and
had little to no sit bones discomfort.

However, the saddle did feel kind of wide through the mid section to
the point that it might be restricting blood flow to my legs. The clue
was that my legs felt kind of heavy until I stood up. Then things felt
o.k. until after I had been sitting down for a while.

Am I imagining this or can this really happen? I don't think my sit
bones protrude very far but then I have no way of comparing to what a
saddle was originally designed for. *I don't know if this could be a
contributing factor.

Not sure if it is the saddle that causes this, but it might be worth
investigating...

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/b...teriopathy.htm

Regards,
James.
Old November 3rd 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Nov 3, 12:38*am, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I am currently saddle shopping and are currently trying a Terry FLX
which was on sale at Performance. I went for my first ride today and
had little to no sit bones discomfort.

However, the saddle did feel kind of wide through the mid section to
the point that it might be restricting blood flow to my legs. The clue
was that my legs felt kind of heavy until I stood up. Then things felt
o.k. until after I had been sitting down for a while.

Am I imagining this or can this really happen? I don't think my sit
bones protrude very far but then I have no way of comparing to what a
saddle was originally designed for. *I don't know if this could be a
contributing factor.

Thanks,

Steve

It's possible. It might also just be that the muscles on the insides
of your legs are not used to the pressure and what you feel is the
process of adaptation. When I went from a Cheeko90 (a seat rather than
a saddle) back to a saddle, the insides of my thighs high up were
mildly sore for a week or so, and every spring when I take up daily
long rides the condition returns. I now use a Brooks B73 which is the
narrowest of their wide saddles, same as the B6x, which is wider than
I used for years before, so my saddle isn't atrociously wide, and
still the condition returns every spring. I don't remember inner thigh
soreness with the older, narrower saddles. In short, I think you've
identified the cause, the wider saddle, but whether it is something
natural that'll go away in a while or something serious, which longer-
term blood constriction always becomes, we can't tell. I think that,
unless the condition suddenly turns painful, you could give it a week
or two of daily rides and see what happens before you take medical
advice or just chuck the saddle. I have a Terry saddle that came on a
bike as a delete option I overlooked deleting but I tried it once,
found it too hard, and went back to Brooks leather; still, Terry has
an excellent reputation and wouldn't make something medically
dangerous.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html
Old November 3rd 10, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
thirty-six

On Nov 3, 12:38*am, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I am currently saddle shopping and are currently trying a Terry FLX
which was on sale at Performance. I went for my first ride today and
had little to no sit bones discomfort.

However, the saddle did feel kind of wide through the mid section to
the point that it might be restricting blood flow to my legs. The clue
was that my legs felt kind of heavy until I stood up. Then things felt
o.k. until after I had been sitting down for a while.

Am I imagining this or can this really happen?

Hmm, sounds like a previously unidentified cause for lack of
performance, I'm sure it must be true. Darn those comfy saddles,
conned me for the last 20 years. I guess it is more difficult to
asess suitable width when the saddle is not of the standard leather
pattern. Have a look at the wear marks on your old saddle and tranfer
the distance across to the new to check for width.

Old November 4th 10, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Jay Beattie

On Nov 3, 1:39*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I have also found that very small differences in saddle height, tilt,
fore-aft position can cause fatigue -- even when the position is not
painful. Anyway, with seat-post clamps that go flaccid when removing
a saddle, it is hard to get the exact position back with the new
saddle -- at least not without a few tries. -- Jay Beattie.
Old November 4th 10, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Nov 4, 12:51*am, Jay Beattie wrote:

I have also found that very small differences in saddle height, tilt,
fore-aft position can cause fatigue -- even when the position is not
painful. *Anyway, with seat-post clamps that go flaccid when removing
a saddle, it is hard to get the exact position back with the new
saddle -- at least not without a few tries. -- Jay Beattie.

You're so right; tiny adjustments make a big difference. But it's
impossible to get the Brooks saddle clamp on in the same position
again after removing it. What I do now is to pull the seat post with
the saddle attached in position. -- Andre Jute
Old November 4th 10, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
kolldata

sad-dells can be tilted forward to allow inner or medial thigh
clearance. BUT ! research the subject and find adjustemnst are made
incrementally avoiding muscle and tissue damage from hammering the
mechanisms up and and under pressure repeatedly until tissue and
tendon tear. not good. 'Like' 2mm here 2mm there then pedal to
accomadate.
Cut off blood flow ? Holy cow Batman, the sport is pernicous in
incrobabbly bad body posture. I would not be surprised if the racer
posture inflicted on the common market from TdF exposure constricts
the fat drain system forcing 3 or 4 times plaque buildup - from fish
eating even !
Landis solved the problem by attaching leeches to his ankles. This
isnot recommended.
Take an online look at Specialized seats. Spec once sold a T seat
where the sit bones rested on the horizontal and nose was the
vertical completely solving the rub probl m but alas gone the way of
uh ?
Old November 4th 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 11/3/2010 9:02 PM, kolldata aka AVOGADRO V wrote:

[...]

I never have this problem, while comfortably positioned on a proper
seat, while riding.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 4th 10, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
kolldata

On Nov 3, 7:31*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
[...]

I am a vehicular cyclist.- Hide quoted text -

true true true but inhaling dog **** has dismembered your IQ and
couthness
Old November 4th 10, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article ,
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:

[...]

We're talking about saddles.