stelvio bike

Old August 4th 04, 05:22 AM
warrwych

Default stelvio bike

A friend of mine has an old steel bike, perhaps about 20 yrs old. It's a
Stelvio and a funny pale olivey limey green metallic colour. Dont
remember what the groupset is on it - something old and surpassed
It's a great looking classic bike.

Does anyone out here in forum land have any idea about the
history/origins of Stelvios, where they were made, by whom etc?? Any
snippets of info gratefully recieved :-)

I am hoping that the likes of hippy may be able to shed some light
here??

thanks in advance

--
warrwych

Old August 4th 04, 06:44 AM
flyingdutch

warrwych Wrote:
A friend of mine has an old steel bike, perhaps about 20 yrs old. It's a
Stelvio and a funny pale olivey limey green metallic colour. Dont
remember what the groupset is on it - something old and surpassed
It's a great looking classic bike.

Does anyone out here in forum land have any idea about the
history/origins of Stelvios, where they were made, by whom etc?? Any
snippets of info gratefully recieved :-)

I am hoping that the likes of hippy may be able to shed some light
here??

thanks in advance

found this thread on C+UK forum where a guy mentions racing on a
Pinarello steel Stelvio...

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=31555

--
flyingdutch

Old August 4th 04, 08:49 AM
hippy

"warrwych"

A friend of mine has an old steel bike, perhaps about 20 yrs old. It's a
Stelvio and a funny pale olivey limey green metallic colour. Dont
remember what the groupset is on it - something old and surpassed
It's a great looking classic bike.

Another guy posted a similar question on uk.rec.cycling:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=St... et.net&rnum=3

Seems it is made of a "Nervex 7005" alloy.

There's also a Marin Stelvio, a Pinarello Stelvio, a
Bianchi Stelvio.. a mountain pass "Stelvio", Stelvio
tyres.

Other than that.. I'm at a loss..

hippy

Old August 4th 04, 11:47 PM
flyingdutch

hippy Wrote:

There's also a Marin Stelvio, a Pinarello Stelvio, a
Bianchi Stelvio.. a mountain pass "Stelvio", Stelvio
tyres.

Other than that.. I'm at a loss..

hippy

Stelvio is a famous pass/climb in the Giro d'Italia apparently.

peobably why everyone bar kmart has named a bike after it. like
ventoux, AlpDHuez, etc

--
flyingdutch

Old August 5th 04, 01:23 AM
Joop

It's a stunning pass to drive (I've only done that by car). If on the bike,
you'd better check your brakes....
http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/ssd/ldoyen/e/stelvio.html

Joop

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

Old August 5th 04, 03:00 AM
John L

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 07:49:58 GMT, "hippy"
wrote:
Another guy posted a similar question on uk.rec.cycling:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=St... et.net&rnum=3

Seems it is made of a "Nervex 7005" alloy.

There's also a Marin Stelvio, a Pinarello Stelvio, a
Bianchi Stelvio.. a mountain pass "Stelvio", Stelvio
tyres.

Other than that.. I'm at a loss..

hippy

My old road training bike was a pale blue Stelvio, bought second hand
from a dodgy private seller in Brissie who knew nothing about it. It
came with Shimano 105 groupset, & lookied pretty daggy. I cleaned it
up, replaced it wiyh Mavic wheels & upgraded it to 600EX.

It was a wonderful comfortable bike & I clocked up 1,000's of kms.

I used it occasionally for club racing instead of my Viner & think
it was probably a much better bike. I also loaned it to some of
clubmates, & many of them offered to buy it after they had ridden it.

I sold both when I decided to build my Daccordi. Have to say the
Daccordi was a better bike.

John L.
Old August 18th 04, 04:08 PM
hippy

"warrwych" wrote

A friend of mine has an old steel bike, perhaps about 20 yrs old. It's a
Stelvio and a funny pale olivey limey green metallic colour. Dont
remember what the groupset is on it - something old and surpassed
It's a great looking classic bike.

After finding everything else named "Stelvio", except
the bike you were investigating, I thought you'd like
to know that I just fitted Schwalbe Stelvio training
tyres to my road bike!! Yes.. another Stelvio!! :-D

Come on Rogers!! I wanna see a GOLD medal!!

hippy