frame materials

Old May 29th 04, 03:35 AM
Micheal Artindale

Default frame materials

This fall, i may be getting a new bike, to trplace my 5yr old pos canadian
tire bike.

I am not worried about brands. what i am worried about is frame durability.
I have been told that there are 4 main types of materials used; cromoly
(steel), aluminum, titanium, and carbon fibre.

With the way i ride, i want a bike that can be bounced off rock (literaly),
and not be damaged. i dont worry about weight, id rather have strenght, and
durability.

What material would be best. Don't suggest a brand, or model type for a
bike..... i will look, and get opinions once i am ready to buy.

Micheal

Old May 29th 04, 04:41 AM
Shawn Curry

Micheal Artindale wrote:
This fall, i may be getting a new bike, to trplace my 5yr old pos canadian
tire bike.

I am not worried about brands. what i am worried about is frame durability.
I have been told that there are 4 main types of materials used; cromoly
(steel), aluminum, titanium, and carbon fibre.

With the way i ride, i want a bike that can be bounced off rock (literaly),
and not be damaged. i dont worry about weight, id rather have strenght, and
durability.

What material would be best. Don't suggest a brand, or model type for a
bike..... i will look, and get opinions once i am ready to buy.

Micheal

Aluminum.
IIRC, since the tubing (generally speaking) has thicker walls it is more
dent resistant. If you don't care consider steel too.
Bouncing off rocks breaks frames. Al and Fe frames are cheaper.
For the most part Ti and C fiber are for racers and people who enjoy
spending money.

Shawn
Old May 29th 04, 06:43 AM
BB

On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:41:17 -0600, Shawn Curry wrote:

For the most part Ti and C fiber are for racers and people who enjoy
spending money.

I paid no more for my CF bike than my old riding bud who bought an
aluminium bike.

But I wouldn't recommend it for rocks; the clearcoat on mine got beaten up
horribly in just one visit to Moab.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old May 29th 04, 06:00 PM
Shawn Curry

BB wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:41:17 -0600, Shawn Curry wrote:

For the most part Ti and C fiber are for racers and people who enjoy
spending money.

I paid no more for my CF bike than my old riding bud who bought an
aluminium bike.

I must've been suffering from oldtimers disease (actually close, but
that's another story). Ever since I gave my Trek 8700 (CF three main
tubes) to my step dad, I forgot I ever owned it. :-)
I was thinking more along the lines of full carbon fiber Treks and the
like. Not ideal for bashing on rocks.