Saddle question

Old November 3rd 04, 06:01 AM
Taber

Default Saddle question

I recently purchased a Specialized Allez Elite racing bike and LOVE it.
However, the saddle SUCKS! I am new to the sport and don't know a lot about
gear. Can anyone advise me on a good alternative saddle for a weekend
warrior, rides about 50 miles on the weekends, 5'10", 165 lbs.

Please respond to as I cant check newgroup often.
Thanks

Greg

Old November 3rd 04, 06:59 AM
do not spam

In article ,
Taber wrote:
I recently purchased a Specialized Allez Elite racing bike and LOVE it.
However, the saddle SUCKS! I am new to the sport and don't know a lot about
gear. Can anyone advise me on a good alternative saddle for a weekend
warrior, rides about 50 miles on the weekends, 5'10", 165 lbs.

What specifically do you not like about the saddle? Saddles fit is
very personal, but many (if not most) saddle related problems are caused
by poor bike setup, not poor equipment.

Old November 3rd 04, 04:46 PM
Steve Juniper

There is also the "getting used to it" factor, which makes it hard to 'try
out' a saddle.

My saddle isn't awfully 'comfortable' when I start out on a ride, but it
isn't too bad either and rarely gets to feeling really uncomfortable even on
long rides. Chances are if you are suddenly riding much more than you are
used to, any saddle will get to feeling uncomfortable.

I would suggest looking around at what other riders about your size use on
rides typical to yours for starters. Maybe try borrowing some to try out (I
suspect that, like me, others have several extra saddles laying around and
wouldn't mind loaning, trading or selling cheaply).

Steve J

Old November 4th 04, 11:58 PM
Cleanbean

"Taber" wrote in message
I recently purchased a Specialized Allez Elite racing bike and LOVE it.
However, the saddle SUCKS! I am new to the sport and don't know a lot

about
gear. Can anyone advise me on a good alternative saddle for a weekend
warrior, rides about 50 miles on the weekends, 5'10", 165 lbs.

Please respond to as I cant check newgroup often.
Thanks

Greg

I have your same bike but a 2000 model. I didn't like the stock seat either
and bought a Selle Italia Trans Am. I love it. No problems after the
initial break in period to my ass.

I would say that most seats close or near $100 will give you your money's
worth.

Cleanbean still doing it in Texas

Old November 5th 04, 04:20 AM
Gary K.

The only seat that doesn't even begin to hurt your butt is the
EasySeat. http://clients.corifeus.com/hobson/web/products.htm

I've ridden all over Europe, all day in the saddle without even having to
stand in the pedals for a break. Weight isn't focused on just one spot on
your butt bone. It feels goofy at first but I'll trade that for a
comfortable ride.

-Gary

Old November 5th 04, 01:04 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
The only seat that doesn't even begin to hurt your butt is the
EasySeat.
http://clients.corifeus.com/hobson/web/products.htm

I've ridden all over Europe, all day in the saddle without even having to
stand in the pedals for a break. Weight isn't focused on just one spot on
your butt bone. It feels goofy at first but I'll trade that for a
comfortable ride.

I've found that my Trico split-rail saddle with a gel cover works great.
The saddle has an adjustable-width split in the middle, and you can also
adjust the tension. The padding, however, is very firm, too much so for
my sit bones. Hence the gel cover, which spreads out the weight just
enough to make it feel great. That's not a good combination if you are
concerned about weight, though. The saddle is heavy all by itself, and
the gel cover adds even more weight.

-Gary

In article , "Taber"
wrote:

I recently purchased a Specialized Allez Elite racing bike and LOVE it.
However, the saddle SUCKS! I am new to the sport and don't know a lot about
gear. Can anyone advise me on a good alternative saddle for a weekend
warrior, rides about 50 miles on the weekends, 5'10", 165 lbs.

Please respond to as I cant check newgroup often.
Thanks

Greg

newsgroups if possible).