I was crapper today, but hey over two years.

Old May 8th 21, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default I was crapper today, but hey over two years.

I took of this am for a 50 mile or so ride. Notice rear tire needed more air than normal before the ride. I usually put air in ever 3 rides the psi drops to around 85 in the rear. Well this morning it was 60 and I had just put air in two days ago. That should have been the clue.

But no I took off and at mile 35 I was 22 miles from home rear tire very low. Ok seems like slow leak pump and go. I did and sure enough got worse. So stopped and put on the new tube. I have not had a flat in at least 2 years.. Turns out the new tube had split in the seem. Possible from being rolled up in the seat pouch and maybe my multi tool split it or something.

Well back to the 1st tube and sure enough lasted about a mile before no go. So the call of shame to my son. Got home put at new tube in the tire and went back out for 17 more miles. Got the 50 at least.

Moral here is maybe I should carry a patch kit I just have a spare tube? The mini pump is a real pain the ass might be better to get something a but more powerful. I had CO2 1 cartridge but with a leaky tube it was gone in a blast. I manage to carry a mini pump because co2 can fail but of course the tube has to be good. Finally maybe because it does not happen too often I just continue my practice but check things in the seat bad every once in awhile.

Deacon Mark
Old May 8th 21, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/8/2021 12:49 PM, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

I definitely carry a patch kit as well as a spare tube.

And I've had other riders borrow my full size Zefal frame pump after
emptying multiple CO2 cartridges.

My worst short ride was three flats in 35 miles. I was glad to be
carrying the right stuff.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 8th 21, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

[...]

I usually carry two space tubes (one lighweight, one normal), two CO2 cartidges,
a couple of glueless patches, plus a tiny mini-pump. That pump (Topeak Micro
Rocket) is hard to use, but will get me (or someone else) home if needed. I
used to have a problem with tubes getting holes at the creases from rubbing
against stuff, so now I wrap them in plastic wrap inside the saddle bag.

Old May 8th 21, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/8/2021 9:49 AM, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

My only-one-tube-in-the-bag habit was forcibly broken many years ago. I
had a rear flat, swapped the tube, pumped it up, only then realized the
front was *also* flat.

This was *before* cell phones were ubiquitous.

Fortunately, the flat happened across the road from the only commercial
establishment in five miles, which still had a pay phone.

After that, I got a cell phone and carried two tubes and a patch kit.
Now usually a CO2, *and* a pump for the second flat.

Mark J.
Old May 8th 21, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 3:28:20 p.m. UTC-4, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

Since most of my riding is done out of town and often many miles from home, and since I can't call for a Ride of Shame, I'd have to walk if I was to breakdown in such a manner that I couldn't effect a roadside repair. Thus I too carry two spare tubes (inside a thick old sock section) plus a patch kit and a a couple of sections of old tubular tire to use as a tire boot. On really long rides I'll even carry an old previously used tubular tire to use in case one of my clincher tires is damaged beyond repair as happened once a long time ago when I did happen to have a spare tubular tire with me. In that instance I'd gone to a nearby city to buy some tubular tires when on the way home a sidewall on one of my clincher tires split at a point where it wasn't possible to boot it. The tubular tire got me home.

With all the horror stories of valve stems coming out of tires, I'd be even more inclined to carry at least two spare tubes on a long ride. Even more so if I was riding in summer in heat where there was little or no shade to shelter under even if i could call for a ride.

Cheers
Old May 8th 21, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 9:49:34 AM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

They used to have these tobacco pouches made of a soft cotton cloth. Every once in awhile I'll run across something that comes in a bag like that with a pull string top and I put my tube in it since that way it won't wear out on the abrasive saddle bag.
Old May 8th 21, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 1:25:57 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I have triple AAA with a towing charge that if all else fails will carry me home.

5 years ago..... Young 8 Racing 1 February 14th 09 11:03 PM
It's been 30 years hollywood Unicycling 2 September 3rd 08 02:09 PM
Six years ago today [email protected] Racing 0 August 6th 07 03:22 PM
They should have given him five years... RicodJour Racing 3 February 27th 06 12:04 AM
Two More Years Fx199 General 12 September 30th 04 09:17 AM