Campagnolo 11 speed prices

Old November 3rd 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Campagnolo 11 speed prices

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote
I think we are going to sell lots of SR and Chorus and Veloce.
And 7900, and 6600 SL and not much sram.

Curious why you think you're not going to sell much SRAM. I happen to be
in agreement with you, but what happened? Seems like SRAM had a
significant window of opportunity. Did they blow it primarily with noisy
drivetrains (mostly the cassettes)? Or is there more to it than that?
I've used the shifters and find them easy to adapt to, so I don't think
that's the issue, and durability seems fine.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
On Oct 30, 2:07 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
What I wonder is what makes 7900 nearly twice the price of 7800, with
the aluminum crank? $1400 vs $2600.

It's not nearly that large a difference on a complete big though. How
about on the 'Campy side? You'd have a better clue than I as to
whether
complete bikes reflect the entire differential or not.

Don't buy complete bikes so I don't know. OEM is always cheaper and
I've always suspected, shimano and sram make deals that equal below
cost 'stuff' on some bikes, and try to make it up other places. I look
at 7900, with the only real change of hidden der housing and a few
bits of carbon and the price goes way up. Add a $1300 carbon crank and
it's the price of SuperRecord w/o the ceramics and titanium(NOT saying
that is anything but marketing, BTW).

I'm thinking, perhaps incorrectly, that Shimano (and Campy) are going
discover that there are dangers pricing the the highest-end components
beyond what much of the targeted market can pay. Either that or
they're
going to have to redefine customer expectations and explain that
certain
groups truly are race-only offerings, not meant for people who have to
pay for their own equipment. Which, of course, might make them all the
more desirable...

Campagnolo has stated and again, restated they are a 'premium'
component maker. They are the Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, not the Toyota
or even Honda of bike stuff. GOOD for them. Just like the 'baby Benz'
and 'People's Porsche' was a poor idea, Campagnolo on $900 bikes is
too. I think we are going to sell lots of SR and Chorus and Veloce.
And 7900, and 6600 SL and not much sram.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in
On Oct 29, 2:21 pm, wrote:

skrev:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...61&item=50-733...
A grand for a crank? Maybe, maybe rational.

"Only" 489 euro
hehttp://bike-components.de/catalog/An...per+Record+Ult...

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...63&item=50-733...
$625 for shifters? Getting irrational.

289
Euro:http://bike-components.de/catalog/An...per+Record+11+...

I looks like performancebike is charging a hefty overprice. Usually
there isn't such a big discrepancy between prices in the US and EU
regarding high end Campagnolo stuff.

Not that I find SR inexpensive even at EU prices. I think SR is a
service Campagnolo provides to wealthy people that really don't now
what else to do with the heaps of cash that accumulates on their
bank
account.

--
Regards

Old November 3rd 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 30, 9:19*am, "Clive George" wrote:
wrote in message

Things are not improving as fast in bicycle technology as one is lead
to believe. *As I mentioned in another thread, freewheel ratchets,
although improved are run practically dry (noisy) as a defense against
failures that are more caused by absurd gearing than sticky
lubrication.

Oy - those low gears aren't absurd. Not everybody has legs like you. Cycling
should be, and is, accessible to people who aren't as strong, for whatever
reason.

There is a reason for the gear madness to have emerged. In racing
situations, having close gear ratios is definitely advantageous. The
gears emerge to give racers an advantage. For most of us they don't
make much sense. It really doesn't affect our ability to ride if we
have a cluster of 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 or a ten speed 13-23. There
is an advantage of course for those who ride fast in groups to have
the close ratio gears. In terms of climbing it makes no difference. I
currently have nine gears because that's the bike that I got had. I
see no reason to change to ten. At some point I may be forced to
change to ten when 9s cease to exist. For mountain biking I usually
ride alone and don't need to keep up with anybody, so I have a six
speed cassette. Its a 14-34 I believe. The 34 gets me pretty much over
anything. I don't need close ratios for anything with my mtb.