Plagued by flats?

Old March 17th 21, 09:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

Default Plagued by flats?

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/16/st...urvivor-champ-
debuts-airless-bike-tires-based-on-nasa-rover-tech/

"Startup founded by ‘Survivor’ champ debuts airless bike tires based on
NASA rover tech"

"As NASA is quick to remind people, the investments it funnels toward
space exploration often wind up improving life on Earth — and it’s now in
the business of speeding up some of that work through startups. SMART, a
startup founded in 2020, has a partnership with NASA through the Space
Act Agreement and is part of the agency’s formal Startup Program that
aims to commercialize some of its innovations. The young company today
revealed its first product: An airless bicycle tire based on technology
NASA engineers created to make future lunar and Martian rovers even more
resilient."

hmm, something tells me it sn't going to be a high performance tyre and
will feel like riding a partially flat tyre.
Old March 17th 21, 12:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 5:04:35 AM UTC-4, News 2021 wrote:

hmm, something tells me it sn't going to be a high performance tyre and
will feel like riding a partially flat tyre.

FRom https://www.bikeradar.com/news/smart-tire-company-metl/

"According to STC, a prototype version of the tyre that was built to simulate a standard pneumatic tyre inflated to 100psi has been ridden by the test team and the difference between the Metl tyre and a pneumatic tyre was “not noticeable”."

They are working with Felt, and the demo videos show the tires mounted on a Felt TT bike, so it seems they can perform on at least that level. Cornering traction might be a different story, since TT bikes aren't built for crits.

Old March 17th 21, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 09:04:31 -0000 (UTC), News 2021
wrote:

[...]

But they currently make "airless" tires, and have been for years. Look
at any wheelchair :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 17th 21, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 05:41:40 -0700, scribed:

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 5:04:35 AM UTC-4, News 2021 wrote:

hmm, something tells me it sn't going to be a high performance tyre and
will feel like riding a partially flat tyre.

FRom https://www.bikeradar.com/news/smart-tire-company-metl/

"According to STC, a prototype version of the tyre that was built to
simulate a standard pneumatic tyre inflated to 100psi has been ridden by
the test team and the difference between the Metl tyre and a pneumatic
tyre was “not noticeable”."

They are working with Felt, and the demo videos show the tires mounted
on a Felt TT bike, so it seems they can perform on at least that level.
Cornering traction might be a different story, since TT bikes aren't
built for crits.

The image I saw showed mesh, so I'm wondering how they sealed it to
inflate/pressurise it.

Overall, I wonder how something developed for low rpms can suddenly be
suitable for a far higher revolution use.

Old March 17th 21, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 05:46:57 +0700, John B. scribed:

wrote:

[...]

Err, not ANY. IME, plenty require inflation as 'running flat' is like
wheeling through heavy tar. Talking to wheel chair users, generally the
inflated tyres are preferred for less rolling resistance.

Old March 18th 21, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/17/2021 6:25 PM, News 2021 wrote:
[...]

How? Marketing!
See also bicycle industry, "Rigid, yet flexible" and so on.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 18th 21, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 7:25:19 PM UTC-4, News 2021 wrote:
[...]

They don't. It's "airless". If you look closely at the tires on the TT bike, you can actually see right through them.

Overall, I wonder how something developed for low rpms can suddenly be
suitable for a far higher revolution use.

CAD/CAE. As the article I posted notes: "According to STC, a prototype version of the tyre that was built to simulate a standard pneumatic tyre inflated to 100psi has been ridden by the test team and the difference between the Metl tyre and a pneumatic tyre was “not noticeable”."

Odd flats [email protected] Techniques 4 June 23rd 10 05:01 AM
An actual cycling question - plagued by flats lately Anton Berlin Racing 8 May 25th 10 10:27 AM
No more flats Greens Techniques 1 September 15th 07 02:03 PM
30 on the flats! jj General 26 April 4th 05 02:40 PM
Too many Flats...what to do? daino149 Unicycling 19 March 10th 04 06:18 AM