Self driving

Old March 18th 21, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Self driving

Here's an in-car video of a Tesla attempting to drive itself through San Jose, CA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IUn2mDE-xo
Watching the dashboard screen gives some information on what the system
"sees" and how it reacts.

My observations: The autopilot system is not up to this level of complexity.
The engineers on board come to the rescue several times, and there are
many more times the system imposes long delays on the car and on other
road users.

And the complexity of the situation is increased by a gaggle of weird bike
facilities. Note the many places bicyclists are "protected" by being hidden
behind parked cars. (Also note one cyclists riding wrong-way for an
extended time.) I'm glad our area is not as "innovative" as San Jose. But I
fear that foolishness is coming here in the not sufficiently distant future.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 18th 21, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 10:47:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Here's an in-car video of a Tesla attempting to drive itself through San Jose, CA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IUn2mDE-xo
Watching the dashboard screen gives some information on what the system
"sees" and how it reacts.

My observations: The autopilot system is not up to this level of complexity.
The engineers on board come to the rescue several times, and there are
many more times the system imposes long delays on the car and on other
road users.

And the complexity of the situation is increased by a gaggle of weird bike
facilities. Note the many places bicyclists are "protected" by being hidden
behind parked cars. (Also note one cyclists riding wrong-way for an
extended time.) I'm glad our area is not as "innovative" as San Jose. But I
fear that foolishness is coming here in the not sufficiently distant future.

The errors in that short video show you just how nearly impossible it is to design self driving cars that will not fail under one condition or another.. I would warrant that I saw some major errors in the system beyond those you saw. That changing into the parking lane and stopping behind a parked car represents a level of danger really high. It is could mistake a parking lane for a traffic lane it could also misunderstand freeway exit lanes which has caused several fatalities so far. Question, would you trust an autopilot to land an aircraft? If you wouldn't consider - aircraft had very little right-of-way problems
Old March 18th 21, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/18/2021 12:47 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Oh, it will probably be OK. I bet they will even stop for a
lot of red lights sometimes depending on the phase of the
algorithm from day to day:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/03...5929748342.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 18th 21, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 11:04:13 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

It was pretty plain the manner in which it was reacting to the traffic that the autopilot is a pretty dangerous idea. I was called to work for Tesla and while talking to the supervisor I told him of cases where the autopilot would fail and he hung up on me. Only to have it fail in that manner a month later.
Old March 18th 21, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

[...]

While an extremely large microprocessor has 850 "cores" (which in total can contain as many as 2.5 trillion transistors) a core must run a single program. Or they can run a time share operating system but then that steals time from each operating program. The human brain contains some 86 billion neurons and probably 25% of that are dedicated to bodily systems like breathing and hearing and pumping blood and operating muscles. But these are not like a digital system. They are entirely analog and in a feedback system. What this means is that the 50+ billion neurons in the frontal cortex of the brain act far more complex than the largest computer in the world by a long way. Look at the way the Mars rover operated, like a baby taking its first steps. And these are by far the most complex artificial intelligence systems put together. The ability of a human being to do something as complex as driving that hardly takes up any of the intellectual capacity of the brain is astonishing. And yet people make GROSS mistakes all the time. Hell the lady across the street has had people totally missing the clear as day right turn in the street and had people driving through her fence into her backyard dozens of time. And Musk thinks that a microprocessor a million times smaller than the largest one I was talking about is going to achieve safe automatic driving? Mind you, you could do a fairly good job with minimal problems driving on the freeways but even that is questionable since the road markings are unreliable since they change year to year and they fade over time and the highway department doesn't keep them in good repair. If a truck driver continuously misses "No Trucks Allowed" signs exactly how would you expect an autopilot to do?
Old March 19th 21, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/18/2021 4:56 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Nicely done.

I was talking with a customer, a heavy machinery lowboy
hauler, on Tuesday as his rig was at a forced stop due to a
sudden snowstorm in Wyoming. There were wrecks aplenty,
despite mandatory chains[1] before State Patrol ordered
traffic stopped right where they were. Good luck to your AI
in such a scenario.

[1] AI chain install app? Don't hold your breath.