Questions about value of bicycles.

Old April 17th 21, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Questions about value of bicycles.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 12:18:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/15/2021 10:38 PM, John B. wrote:

Oh yes, I forgot. In some places they may still use an acetylene
generator a sort of tank thing that you put calcium carbide and water
in and if it is working right it generates acetylene... if it is not
working right it likely blows up :-)

Probably the most exciting type of bike headlight!

Not really exciting. The gas pressure controls water dripping onto
the calcium carbide. It's a reliable control system and does NOT
convert the lamp into a Molotov cocktail if shaken or thrown.

Anyone here ever use a carbide lamp? (Astonishingly, I haven't.)

Yes, me. A miners head lamp and on my bicycle. I posted some lumens
and color temperature numbers about 3 weeks ago. I just wasted about
30 minutes looking for my miners lamp, but didn't find it. I'll post
photos on the bicycle mount when they get tired of hiding.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272