Anyone biked the Zion Canyon Scenic Dr in Zion National Park?

Old May 25th 21, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Anyone biked the Zion Canyon Scenic Dr in Zion National Park?

The road is open only to shuttle buses, pedestrians, and bicycles.
Because of the pandemic, the capacity of the shuttle system is greatly
reduced and the reservations are quickly used up though some open up at
5 p.m. the night before. Bicycling seems like a good option though one
person my relative knows was "you need eBikes."

Anyone here biked that road?

We were planning to lock our bikes at the end (Temple of Sinewava) then
hike some of The Narrows. You need "canyoneering poles" and they advise
against using collapsible trekking poles in the water so I fabricated
"canyoneering pole holders" for my bike
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tzR83iVKxihBekzw6.

Old May 25th 21, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 2:07:21 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
The road is open only to shuttle buses, pedestrians, and bicycles.
Because of the pandemic, the capacity of the shuttle system is greatly
reduced and the reservations are quickly used up though some open up at
5 p.m. the night before. Bicycling seems like a good option though one
person my relative knows was "you need eBikes."

Anyone here biked that road?

We were planning to lock our bikes at the end (Temple of Sinewava) then
hike some of The Narrows. You need "canyoneering poles" and they advise
against using collapsible trekking poles in the water so I fabricated
"canyoneering pole holders" for my bike
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tzR83iVKxihBekzw6.

I have with my wife, and my son has -- although he was staff for the Tour of Utah, and it was closed to civilians at the time. You can't ride the Zion-Mt Carmel tunnel, which is not on the Scenic Drive, but is on the way up a cool climb. https://www.myutahparks.com/road-tri...s/zion-tunnel/ We rode up there but blew-off trying to hitch hike through the tunnel.

This was years ago, and all I remember was all the lose red dirt on the road. Traffic was not bad (we were sort of off-season in fall), and the grades were not bad. We rode around the park for a day and then went off to ride around the north rim and then south rim of he Grand Canyon. We didn't bring trekking poles.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 26th 21, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/25/2021 3:12 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yeah, we are thinking of doing some riding along the north Rim of the
Grand Canyon as well. Too bad the National Park Service has not put in a
bike/ped bridge between the north Rim and the south Rim.
Old May 26th 21, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/25/2021 6:03 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

For a half-assed start maybe.

Then a cold beverage service by staff on electric cargo
bikes, some guys to air your tires, covered paths for shade
and whatnot. And every real bicycle path needs an elevator:

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/1...9d3ee7ba1.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 26th 21, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 25 May 2021 18:20:50 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/25/2021 6:03 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

But I thought that was why people bought aluminum bicycles. So light
to carry up stairs :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 21, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 4:03:35 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

That would be a hell of bridge. The north rim is really atmospheric and pretty low traffic -- a tiny, less touristy operation compared to the south rim. Riding around the south rim was fun, notwithstanding tour buses. I recall riding along and encountering a parade of tarantulas crossing the road. Apparently they migrate in fall.

-- Jay Beattie.