How to mount Softride on a repair stand?

Old November 19th 05, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default How to mount Softride on a repair stand?

I have a Park consumer workstand that has worked out great for all my
bikes. I even have an old seatpost I use when I'm working on a bike that
has a carbon post.

I bought a Softride today, and I have no idea how to get this thing up
on the workstand. I'm obviously not the first person with this problem.
What are the solutions? Preferably not exspensive ones :-)

Thanks,

Gareth
Old November 19th 05, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Gareth wrote:
I have a Park consumer workstand that has worked out great for all my
bikes. I even have an old seatpost I use when I'm working on a bike that
has a carbon post.

I bought a Softride today, and I have no idea how to get this thing up
on the workstand. I'm obviously not the first person with this problem.
What are the solutions? Preferably not exspensive ones :-)

Thanks,

Gareth

Just turn the clamp 90 degrees and clamp the end of the beam, just in
front of the saddle. It'll be OK.

Old November 19th 05, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Gareth wrote:
I have a Park consumer workstand that has worked out great for all my
bikes. I even have an old seatpost I use when I'm working on a bike
that has a carbon post.

I bought a Softride today, and I have no idea how to get this thing
up on the workstand. I'm obviously not the first person with this
problem. What are the solutions? Preferably not exspensive ones :-)

Thanks,

Gareth

Just turn the clamp 90 degrees and clamp the end of the beam, just in
front of the saddle. It'll be OK.

In other words, the cantilever seatpost will be able to handle a 23-lb bike
if it can handle a 200-lb rider, even if it is negative stress.

Make sure the clamp has the plastic/rubber shim on there.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 21st 05, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:35:38 -0800, Gareth said
in :

I bought a Softride today, and I have no idea how to get this thing up
on the workstand. I'm obviously not the first person with this problem.
What are the solutions? Preferably not exspensive ones :-)

You can afford carbon bikes and a Softride? Pay some other sucker to
fix it :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 22nd 05, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:35:38 -0800, Gareth said
in :

I bought a Softride today, and I have no idea how to get this thing up
on the workstand. I'm obviously not the first person with this problem.
What are the solutions? Preferably not exspensive ones :-)

You can afford carbon bikes and a Softride? Pay some other sucker to
fix it :-)

Guy

Actually I got the Softride used for $400 off craigslist (great deal!).
The carbon I was referring to was the seatpost on my wife's bike, also
used. I don't have tons of money, just a good and persistent eye for a
bargain :-)

Within limits, I like to work on the bike myself, it's fun, and I think
it's all part of the sport. I wonder how many guys with expensive bikes
can replace or rebuild bearings, re-cable shifters and brakes etc.?
Old November 22nd 05, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Gareth wrote:

I have a Park consumer workstand that has worked out great for all my
bikes. I even have an old seatpost I use when I'm working on a bike
that has a carbon post.

I bought a Softride today, and I have no idea how to get this thing
up on the workstand. I'm obviously not the first person with this
problem. What are the solutions? Preferably not exspensive ones :-)

Thanks,

Gareth

Just turn the clamp 90 degrees and clamp the end of the beam, just in
front of the saddle. It'll be OK.

In other words, the cantilever seatpost will be able to handle a 23-lb bike
if it can handle a 200-lb rider, even if it is negative stress.

Make sure the clamp has the plastic/rubber shim on there.

I'm not concerned about the beam holding the weight, more that I don't
compress it too much. I have the older stand that has only two fixed
positions for spacing the clamp, it doesn't have the screw-type
adjuster. I've never used the larger setting, I'll have to carefully try
it and see if it opens wide enough to accomodate the beam.

Thanks to all who replied.

Gareth
Old November 22nd 05, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Get a few glasses of wine in 'er and maybe she'll go for it.

Bill "slow night" S.

Really Good Tip for Learning the Kickup Mount crslinyc Unicycling 10 November 15th 05 01:31 PM
Why do they stand where they do? Claire General 19 October 25th 05 05:54 PM
FS/Park repair stand. Marketplace 0 June 21st 05 05:27 AM
WTB: repair stand dookie Marketplace 1 September 9th 03 07:54 AM
Ben's 6' giraffe running jump mount video clip yoopers Unicycling 6 August 11th 03 02:49 PM