Spoke replacement questions

Old November 23rd 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Spoke replacement questions

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:17:04 -0600, "Dukes909"
wrote:

So, in trying to true my wheel I ended up stripping the brass nipple.
Resorting to my "dumb brute" method, the only thing I can think to do is cut
the spoke and replace said spoke and nipple with new ones (I tried wrenching
it off with pliers w/o success).

Question 1: this is a wheen from circa 1992, 2 mm in width, seems to be SS.
Can I replace just one spoke, or should I replace them all at one time? The
other spokes are fine.

Replace just one, IMO.

Question 2: if ordering new spokes, when I measure the existing spoke, do I
include the little bend where it attaches to the hub as part of the length?

If buying locally, just take a sample spoke along. Otherwise, from
the center of the bent leg to the tip of the thread is my
understanding of the length measurement. A tiny bit of oil on the
threads may prevent the new one from siezing up.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.