Commuting: Changing Clothes?

Old October 26th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Commuting: Changing Clothes?

Anybody got some ins and outs on clothes changing?

I've been changing in the bathroom about 15' from my desk for the
past year or so. Works for me....

But last week, some guy got noticeably bent out of shape over it.
"We have a locker room downstairs, you know...."

Locker room downstairs adds a good twenty minutes to the commute.
Gotta get to my desk, retrieve the shoes/slacks I have stashed
there, walk though the building dressed totally inappropriately,
change in a locker room where the humidity is about 110%, then
walk back upstairs to my desk.

Works for lunchtime workouts where somebody's carrying it a all
in a gym bag. Doesn't work for morning/evening commute.

I'm guessing the guy's problem is that he wanted to use the
crapper and found a full house - and one of them was changing
clothes instead of reading the sports pages for a half hour.

Anyhow... not to rant on and on... but does anybody have a
workaround that works for them?

--
PeteCresswell
Old October 26th 08, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

[...]

Wear a kilt at work.

If the locker room is fairly close to the bike parking, bring your
slacks with you on the bike (roll 'em up nice and tight, and they'll
take little room and stay unwrinkled), and then change into your dress
shoes at your desk.

Old October 26th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Pete Cresswell wrote:

But last week, some guy got noticeably bent out of
shape over it. "We have a locker room downstairs, you
know...."

From an employers view/policy point I'd agree before the situation
escalated into a "federal case".
Example - Michigan recently passed legislation _requiring_ all
businesses to provide rest room facilities, on demand.
Obviously there's more to the story but the law stems from a person
with IBS being denied access to a _non-public_ inner office rest room.

Now the "bent guy" may just be taking issue with you. If you someday
discover him squatting on your circular file with his drawers about his
ankles, I'd consider that a vendetta.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

ps - is it any wonder Michigan is the nations leader in business
closings and resulting job loss?

Old October 26th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Michael Baldwin:
Example - Michigan recently passed legislation _requiring_ all
businesses to provide rest room facilities, on demand.
Obviously there's more to the story but the law stems from a person
with IBS being denied access to a _non-public_ inner office rest room.

When I lived in Philadelphia PA, people were constantly
expressing outrage about other people defecating and urinating in
public places.

OTOH, working in Center City, my experience was that if you're
outside of your office building and need bathroom facilities
you're pretty much out of luck.

OTOOH, at that time, the reason most people lived on the street
was that they were mentally ill - and not the kind of people who
would respect the facilities they used.

Seems like a tough nut to crack.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 26th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

[...]

Apologize whole heartedly.
Promise to be out in two minutes.
Finish the quick change where you find yourself.
Do not explain to the guy that the locker room adds twenty minutes,
as that will only increase his resolve to inconvenience you.

--
Michael Press
Old October 27th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Michael Press:
Apologize whole heartedly.
Promise to be out in two minutes.
Finish the quick change where you find yourself.
Do not explain to the guy that the locker room adds twenty minutes,
as that will only increase his resolve to inconvenience you.

Rings true to me - but I was done and he was on the way out the
door by the time it happened.

I'm thinking about just changing outside of the stalls. Certainly
can be done with just as much modesty as changing in the locker
room - OTOH, I had considered that before and figured it was sure
to offend somebody sooner or later.

The safest/most logical suggestion so far seems tb bringing the
slacks in every day and not changing shoes until I get back to my
desk. Takes up the space I'd use for raincoat/pants... but
maybe I need to re-think my saddle bag anyhow.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 27th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Oct 25, 8:02*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Anyhow... not to rant on and on... but does anybody have a
workaround that works for them?

Ignoring the impatient ones?

Flush, and claim you were "multi tasking."

Old October 27th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 25, 7:02*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

I use the only stall in the close bathroom too. My in house locker
room is on the other side of the building. Not too inconvenient but
it adds 3-4 minutes of walking. More room than the stall. I don't
worry about being inappropriately dressed.
Old October 27th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

On Oct 25, 5:02*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

Is this guy in a position to screw with you professionally? If so, I
don't see that you have much choice but to comply. If not, why do you
care what he says?
Old October 27th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dave:
Is this guy in a position to screw with you professionally? If so, I
don't see that you have much choice but to comply. If not, why do you
care what he says?

Probably not.

But, in the words of one of my esteemed ex-colleagues, I don't
sell application dev elopement, I sell happiness - and knowing
that I'm agitating somebody to that degree eats at me.

I don't really give a damn about the other guy - it's my own
peace of mind I'm concerned with.
--
PeteCresswell

If you have a closet full of clothes that you would like to sell,consider using an online auction site or consignment store to sell them tointerested consumers. Online auction sites will sell your used clothes to thehighest bidder and will require yo [email protected] General 0 April 25th 08 05:44 PM
The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LV packs. And hat.Clothes. Some products, etc.The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LVpacks. And hat. Clothes. Some products, etc.ello [email protected] Techniques 0 December 6th 07 03:29 PM
The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LV packs. And hat.Clothes. Some products, etc.The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LVpacks. And hat. Clothes. Some products, etc.ello [email protected] UK 0 December 6th 07 03:29 PM
Changing small change Mountain Biking 9 February 15th 05 03:27 PM
Commuting and business clothes tricks Justin Seiferth General 5 July 12th 04 07:03 PM