Commuting: Changing Clothes?

Old October 27th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Commuting: Changing Clothes?

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:53:12 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Oct 25, 7:02*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Anybody got some ins and outs on clothes changing?

I've been changing in the bathroom about 15' from my desk for the
past year or so. * Works for me....

But last week, some guy got noticeably bent out of shape over it.
"We have a locker room downstairs, you know...."

Locker room downstairs adds a good twenty minutes to the commute.
Gotta get to my desk, retrieve the shoes/slacks I have stashed
there, walk though the building dressed totally inappropriately,
change in a locker room where the humidity is about 110%, then
walk back upstairs to my desk.

Works for lunchtime workouts where somebody's carrying it a all
in a gym bag. * Doesn't work for morning/evening commute.

I'm guessing the guy's problem is that he wanted to use the
crapper and found a full house - and one of them was changing
clothes instead of reading the sports pages for a half hour.

Anyhow... not to rant on and on... but does anybody have a
workaround that works for them?

--
PeteCresswell

I use the only stall in the close bathroom too. My in house locker
room is on the other side of the building. Not too inconvenient but
it adds 3-4 minutes of walking. More room than the stall. I don't
worry about being inappropriately dressed.

If it's the only stall I don't think it's appropriate to change in
there right before work unless you are super fast, or if you changing
outside the staff would block access to the stall. Change in the men's
room but outside.

Old October 28th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 25, 4:02*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
I'm guessing the guy's problem is that he wanted to use the
crapper and found a full house - and one of them was changing
clothes instead of reading the sports pages for a half hour.

So if you had been in there using the toilet, when you came out he
would have said what? "Hey why'd you eat so damn much?"

I think you should use the men's room as you see fit, and if this
weasel doesn't like it, go all Tony Soprano on him.

I mean WTF?
ABS
Old October 28th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 25, 7:02*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Anybody got some ins and outs on clothes changing?

Don't change! Get a proper bike that weighs 40# or so, and ride in
wearing a three piece this time of year with some huge Savile Row
shoes that engage the rubber block pedals more stiffly than most of
Shimano's casual line. Don't forget your cycle clips and tweed
cap. ;-)

Old October 28th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mnbikecommuter

I don't really give a damn about the other guy - it's my own
peace of mind I'm concerned with.

But yet it seems as though you do care about the other guy, as you're
looking for alternate options. :-) He's totally out of line on this
one. I have yet to see rules posted for appropriate and inappropriate
restroom use.

Anyway, I've been changing in restroom stalls across several employers
for the almost twenty years I've been commuting. I carry clothes with
me in my pannier and if it's inconvenient to get to my desk first
before changing, I just put my cycling shoes back on and change those
at my desk. And I drape my cycling clothes around my cube as
inconspicuously as possible to dry and no one's ever complained.

Brian's "multitasking" comment is sure valid too. I guess I generally
do that too. :-)

Jeff

Old October 28th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski

landotter wrote:
On Oct 25, 7:02 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Anybody got some ins and outs on clothes changing?

Don't change! Get a proper bike that weighs 40# or so, and ride in
wearing a three piece this time of year with some huge Savile Row
shoes that engage the rubber block pedals more stiffly than most of
Shimano's casual line. Don't forget your cycle clips and tweed
cap. ;-)

I was going to say the same basic thing: Ride in your work clothes. My
style's different from what landotter recommends ;-) but riding
(reasonably) slow allows riding in normal clothes.

(Reasonably slow for me is about 17 mph on the flats, depending on
temperature.)

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 28th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 25, 8:02*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Anybody got some ins and outs on clothes changing?

I've been commuting for close to 20 years and my company last year
moved to new digs with a locker room. I too find the locker room
generally inconvenient after having spent most of the 20 years
changing in a stall in the bathroom on my floor.

I also work late often (journalism) and the cleaning crews are at
work, which makes it hard sometimes to change in the bathroom or the
locker room, as often they are being cleaned. So ....

I go to another floor. It's closer than the locker room and I can take
the stairs instead of the elevator, so I don't have to wait as long.

I used to leave my slacks at work, which would mean I had to go to my
desk midweek and collect them before changing. Now I often haul them
around daily. Shoes can be a problem. One solution is to get some
Chinese slip-ons -- the one's that are black with the thin brown
plastic soles. They're nice and flat in a bag and you can use them to
get to your desk and your dress shoes and belt. The new building
doesn't have much going on on the first floor, but it has some nice
bathrooms with handicapped stalls. Plenty of room and not much demand.

The other thing is to change where you like to change and take a nice
long **** when you're done to legitimize your use of the stall.

Cheers,

MD

Old October 28th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per mnbikecommuter:
Anyway, I've been changing in restroom stalls across several employers
for the almost twenty years I've been commuting.

Have you had any encounters like the one I described?
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 28th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per mnbikecommuter:
I don't really give a damn about the other guy

I guess it's how somebody spins it.

I'm always telling my Better Half that Mother Teresa was just as
selfish as anybody on Wall Street - it's just that she worked out
a way to get off on doing what most people would characterize as
"good".
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 28th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
I was going to say the same basic thing: Ride in your work clothes. My
style's different from what landotter recommends ;-) but riding
(reasonably) slow allows riding in normal clothes.

(Reasonably slow for me is about 17 mph on the flats, depending on
temperature.)

17 is about the top end of my pitiful aerobic capacity.

Used to do 88 miles to the shore in under 4 hours every weekend
in season.... but that was long long ago and far, far away.

18, I can hold for awhile, but no more than a five minutes.

20 for me is a sprint - totally unsustainable.

Average speed on most rides to work is about 12, which includes a
fair amount of 18, and a *lot* of 15-16.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty much soaked through and
through after 40 minutes of riding.

If I rode slowly enough not to sweat, I think it would drive me
nuts.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 28th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Oct 28, 9:56*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I was going to say the same basic thing: *Ride in your work clothes. *My
style's different from what landotter recommends ;-) *but riding
(reasonably) slow allows riding in normal clothes.

In this weather? Hardly.

If you have a closet full of clothes that you would like to sell,consider using an online auction site or consignment store to sell them tointerested consumers. Online auction sites will sell your used clothes to thehighest bidder and will require yo [email protected] General 0 April 25th 08 05:44 PM
The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LV packs. And hat.Clothes. Some products, etc.The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LVpacks. And hat. Clothes. Some products, etc.ello [email protected] Techniques 0 December 6th 07 03:29 PM
The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LV packs. And hat.Clothes. Some products, etc.The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LVpacks. And hat. Clothes. Some products, etc.ello [email protected] UK 0 December 6th 07 03:29 PM
Changing small change Mountain Biking 9 February 15th 05 03:27 PM
Commuting and business clothes tricks Justin Seiferth General 5 July 12th 04 07:03 PM