Let's go Coast to Coast in six weeks!

Old May 15th 09, 09:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
-RB

Default Let's go Coast to Coast in six weeks!

Hello to anyone who may be interested in a limited support coast to
coast bicycle ride that includes RAGBRAI. I am inviting you to join
me. I’m setting off on a coast to coast bicycling journey this coming
summer. I’m riding with two friends from the San Francisco Bay area
to Yorktown, Virginia following Adventure Cycling Association (ACA)
maps. The Western Express route to Pueblo then the Transamerica map.
We are between 45-years of age and 54, two men, one woman. We also
have one set of retired parents driving a support van for us. We are
not partiers but do have an occasional alcoholic beverage. We feel we
are fun loving people. We’re planning our departure date to be June
28.

We will dip our rear wheels in the Pacific Ocean, probably Santa Cruz
or near San Gregorio, CA. We’ll dip our front wheels in the
Atlantic. We plan to take a detour from the route in Kansas to go up
and ride RAGBRAI to the Mississippi River then ride back south to
rejoin our route somewhere below St. Louis. We would like to have at
least a dozen companions to help us defray the cost of our drivers,
support vehicle, and fuel. I’m thinking the cost will be around $800
apiece. We have recreational/race type bikes, we do not want to carry
anything on them.

We expect to take around 43 days in total. We plan to ride an average
110 miles a day for the first three weeks, about 70 miles a day for
the RAGBRAI week, then another two weeks at 100 mile to complete six
weeks. We do expect we’ll take one day off per week for rest and
laundry, or sightseeing, probably every seven or eight days. We are
flying home so we’ll pre-arrange our flights and plan the return trip
accordingly.

All food will be on your own; however there should be room in the van
for small coolers and a Coleman stove. Of course room for duffle bags
and camp chairs too. The ACA maps have details needed to find food
and services along the way.

The following links well get you to the maps we'll be using so you can
get a general idea of the route…
http://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...ernexpress.cfm
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm

If you’d like more information please contact me at RB s k i i r
@aol.com.
-RB