DaHon Curve D3

Old June 7th 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°

Default DaHon Curve D3

I visited Mr. Muzi and his Minions [1] at Yellow Jersey [2] yesterday
and brought back a little "souvenir" [3] from my visit.

Only a few rides so far, but here are my initial impressions.

- The Curve D3 [4] is kawaii! Walking it down State Street [5] I
received quite a few "cute bike" comments, all from college age women.

- The handing is a bit quick due to the narrow handlebars and short
wheelbase, but not at all difficult to ride.

- The Curve D3 is kawaii!

- The bike is torsionally stiff enough that I can moderately "honk" on
it with my 0.6 Chalo mass without excessive flexure. LOTS of material in
the bottom bracket junction area. The seat post and steering riser are
adequately stiff considering their cantilevered length.

- The Curve D3 is kawaii!

- The ride is reasonable over bumps for a small wheel bike. The 50-305
Schwalbe Big Apples swallow [6] up bumps quite well. One primary reason
I chose the curve over such bikes as the Birdy and Brompton was the
stock fat tires. Tire width needs to increase with decreasing diameter
in my opinion.

- The Curve D3 is kawaii!

- Folding/unfolding is easy, with the position of the crank the only
slightly tricky aspect.

- The Curve D3 is kawaii!

- Quality is good for the price, with nice TIG welds and decent
components that function well.

- The Curve D3 is kawaii!

- The rear rack is mostly useful for holding a trunk bag, since there is
not enough heel clearance for panniers. Plenty of room for a large
saddle bag, however.

Overall, I am quite content with my purchase.

Did I mention the Curve is kawaii?

[1] OK, employees, but that ruins the alliteration.
[2] http://www.yellowjersey.org/index.html.
[3] http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/sets/72157619269876565/.
[4] http://www.dahon.com/us/curved3.htm.
[5] I was with another person sans bicycle.
[6] Pun intended.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 7th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson

On 2009-06-07, Tom Sherman ?_? wrote:

I visited Mr. Muzi and his Minions [1] at Yellow Jersey [2] yesterday
and brought back a little "souvenir" [3] from my visit.

Only a few rides so far, but here are my initial impressions.

- The Curve D3 [4] is kawaii!

[...]

Did I mention the Curve is kawaii?

I dunno, Tom; it looks kinda "kawaii" to me.

How much did that set you back?

--

-John )
Old June 7th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°

On 2009-06-07, Tom Sherman ?_? wrote:

I visited Mr. Muzi and his Minions [1] at Yellow Jersey [2] yesterday
and brought back a little "souvenir" [3] from my visit.

Only a few rides so far, but here are my initial impressions.

- The Curve D3 [4] is kawaii!

[...]

Did I mention the Curve is kawaii?

I dunno, Tom; it looks kinda "kawaii" to me.

How much did that set you back?

When the carrying bag is included, about $0.65K.

Old June 7th 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Jun 6, 5:55 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
[...]

I usually call them "cohorts" :-)

[2] http://www.yellowjersey.org/index.html.
[3] http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/sets/72157619269876565/.
[4] http://www.dahon.com/us/curved3.htm.

"Dear Santa, now I know what I want for Christmas this year... "

Old June 7th 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°

Dan Overman wrote:
On Jun 6, 5:55 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
[...]

[2] http://www.yellowjersey.org/index.html.
[3] http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/sets/72157619269876565/.
[4] http://www.dahon.com/us/curved3.htm.

"Dear Santa, now I know what I want for Christmas this year... "

As long as your inseam is about 36 inches or less [1] and you weight
under 230 pounds [2].

[1] I have about a 34-inch inseam, and I have the seat approximately 4.5
cm from the minimum insertion point.
[2] The latter per DaHon.

Old June 7th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°

More cleverness from DaHon.

Photo set showing the built in pump:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/sets/72157619381165474/.

Old June 7th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
\
As long as your inseam is about 36 inches or less [1] and you weight
under 230 pounds [2].

I guess they're content to address 99% of the world's population.
Old June 7th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
I visited Mr. Muzi and his Minions [1] at Yellow Jersey [2] yesterday
and brought back a little "souvenir" [3] from my visit.

I think I'd spend the extra $110 or so and get the REI Buzz FlyBy
version of the Curve with the Nexus 8 speed hub.
"http://www.rei.com/product/763242"
Old June 7th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
More cleverness from DaHon.

Photo set showing the built in pump:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/sets/72157619381165474/.

That kind of cleverness I would buy to avoid the hassle with all the
junk I take on long rides.

Kudos to the inventor.

Bill Baka
Old June 7th 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°

SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
\
As long as your inseam is about 36 inches or less [1] and you weight
under 230 pounds [2].

I guess they're content to address 99% of the world's population.

Unlike some of the competing small folders which would NOT fit many
adult men:
http://www.breezerbikes.com/bike_details.cfm?bikeType=compact&frame=compact&bi ke=itzy.

The fit range and the wheel size that uses fat tires (i.e. 50-305 Big
Apple) were decisive factors in my choosing the Curve.