Felt F55X

Old February 15th 21, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Felt F55X

I am pretty impressed with this Felt gravel bike. So much so that I intend to buy one of their road offerings in Aluminum. They do make an aluminum model with a steel fork. Since the frameset is really cheap I will probably buy one after I sell the gravel bike. I am still planning on the Waterford, but that has to wait until the Treks and the Colnago sells. I have enough parts around to build another campy 10 speed bike and the Waterford would be a wireless Di2. I am simply returning to aluminum wheels after seeing the rather shocking difference in rim braking power over carbon fiber. Furthermore, superlight deep carbon rims are breaking like the old heavier versions.. No thanks. Although they don't come apart, the tubeless goes flat instantly. That doesn't seem very attractive in a $2,000 wheel. So I will return to the days of heavier but safer bikes and rims. None of the parts on the gravel bike are light but it isn't supposed to be a hill climber so who cares? I would be interested in seeing how light I could make a road, aluminum Felt. I'd be willing to bet I could make it lighter than the Lemond. And in summer shape I've taken the Lemond up some pretty hard stuff. (16% 1/4th mile). No it wouldn't be as light as the Look KG585, but I haven't set a single loop time with a lot of climbing in it with the Look. Though I think I returned with less fatigue. Isn't the entire point of riding to tire yourself out?

Let's see what happens.
Old February 24th 21, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Parts are trickling in slowly. Local parts I can obtained off of Craigs list now are so overpriced that it is out of question to pay $60 for a bolt-on disk. There is a guy that sells Chinese parts that are cheap enough and with the bolts included but he is almost impossible to get him to respond so I gave up. I'm sure he is paying his way through Cal State Hayward with the money but no response, no sale and now it costs as much to get a single disk from eBay as four from him.

The headset tool won't arrive for another couple of weeks but since there are four other minor parts that are going to take that long no sense in worrying about it. The BB386 us going to take that long as well and it doesn't matter if the work isn't installed if the crank can't be fitted. The 32 tooth 10 speed cassette came in and I installed that yesterday as the hunchback. since the rear disk hydraulic line was mounted a rather long way it should fit on the 2 cm larger frameset without problem. The say with the front line. It is internal on this fork but was external on the other. So I will have to strip off the bead and cap on the lever end and stick it up from the bottom side. in order to lose the lease fluid and make it easier to bleed afterwards. It appears that flat bar gravel bikes are getting popular so this one should move a lot faster than the Emonda or Modone. The last guy to query about the Emonda must have been a monkey, after exchanges for three days he said that he wouldn't fit the bike. He is three inches shorter than I am but claims his arms are 37" long. Maybe he is measuring from the middle of his back because from shoulder to fingertip my arms are 26".

The tires are 3 mm wider than I would like but there is more than plenty of room with these triangles. It is surprising how easy gravel tires roll on hard surfaces. But gravel bikes have lower gear ratios and the 11/42 high gear isn't going to rush anyone down the road. If I can get this together there is another Felt road bike that I will buy and build into a 10 speed Campy Record. The parts I have look brand new, though I will be looking for a compact two piece crank. That will require a compact front derailleur that will come from the Campy warehouse.

I was standing upright for the first half hour of this morning so I am recovering from that stained back if a lot more slowly than I would like.

I wonder how you tell what sort of hydraulic fluid is in this Avid setup. It could use either Shimano mineral oil or DOT 5.1 which needs replacing every year if that makes any sense. When was the last time you replaced your car brake fluid?
Old February 24th 21, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 12:59:05 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Six-bolt disc rotors are common as fleas. $20 for a Deore six-bolt of Amazonian. https://tinyurl.com/4nzbb92v What headset tool do you need? It's an integrated HS. Do need a crown seat setting tool? And are you switching to an Avid set up from Shimano? They're not cross-compatible. Avid/SRAM uses DOT fluid, and I'm not sure if the Shimano hose is happy with DOT fluid, and its ID may be incompatible with the Avid brakes as well. The levers definitely take different olives and nuts. Even if you could use the Shimano hose, you'd have to bob the ends, remove the barb, olive and nut, to get it through your frame -- unless it has giant openings. Go get some Avid/SRAM hoses.

BTW, the F55X is not a gravel bike. It is a CX bike. You have a slightly different version of the Redline Conquest you spent so long unloading.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 24th 21, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/24/2021 2:59 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

DOT 5.1. Do not substitute another fluid.

Any auto parts store or with a SRAM/Avid label.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 25th 21, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:56:28 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I suggest you actually learn to ride before you tell me what is a gravel and what is a CX bike since they handle totally different. You spend most of your time now being disagreeable for no other reason than you are a Democrat that is seeing your world crumble before your eyes and are loath to admit that you were told so, so many times that all you can do is attempt to refute it like a child. "Nuh uh".
Old February 25th 21, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 2:04:33 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

DOT 5.1. Do not substitute another fluid.

Any auto parts store or with a SRAM/Avid label.

Not that I think that there is any reasonable difference but I will accept your advice since I probably have a can in the shop anyway.
Old February 25th 21, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

[...]

By the way, Andrew, Mineral oil is a light petroleum based lubricant derived from petroleum. DOT 5.1 is largely solvents used to lighten the Polyglycols that are used in the fluid. Polyglycols are also derived from petroleum and are a very heavy lubricant. Polyglycols are used mostly in lubricating very high load gear trains and worm gears that carry very heavy loads. It isn't clear to me why you would use this lubricant cut 70% or more by solvents rather than a lighter lubricating oil like mineral oil one such a lightly loaded use such as a bicycle disk brake whose loading is almost nothing. There are sometimes additives that are supposed to slow the evaporation of the solvents from the brake fluid.
Old February 25th 21, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/25/2021 11:58 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 2:04:33 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

DOT 5.1. Do not substitute another fluid.

Any auto parts store or with a SRAM/Avid label.

Not that I think that there is any reasonable difference but I will accept your advice since I probably have a can in the shop anyway.

DOT3 and DOT 4 are pretty much the same thing.
DOT 5.1 is an unique fluid.

Old February 25th 21, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/25/2021 12:10 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

It's often noted here on RBT that frequently the largest
part of a problem is 'you don't know what you don't know'.

This may be a case of that. Use DOT 5.1 and no other.

I don't know the chemistry of the seals and piston materials
and I'm pretty sure you don't either. I'm fairly confident
the designers and engineers do, or at least did when they
specified a particular fluid.

Old February 25th 21, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 9:56:29 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

WTF are you talking about? The Felt F55X is a CX bike. Google it. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...827 344467882

This is not an opinion. I own a CX bike and a gravel bike and am well aware of the differences. The F55X is not marketed as a gravel bike and is geometrically different from a gravel bike. It is a CX bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

felt f90 2006 barry mogridge UK 2 September 10th 06 08:26 AM
I felt sorry for him Bryan UK 9 June 8th 06 04:32 PM
Opinions on Felt frames and Felt Components [email protected] Techniques 1 August 22nd 05 08:11 AM
Felt MTB Surfrider Mountain Biking 3 February 2nd 05 12:08 PM
I felt I had to say something..... David Waters UK 16 March 21st 04 02:48 AM