Watching out for cyclists

Old March 19th 21, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Watching out for cyclists

Volvo claims its cars will watch out for cyclists:
https://www.news24.com/wheels/news/g...ads-20210317-2

But it's a bit disturbing to see cyclists in its video riding in the
door zone. Too many cyclists don't realize the risk that entails.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 19th 21, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 9:41:38 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Volvo claims its cars will watch out for cyclists:
https://www.news24.com/wheels/news/g...ads-20210317-2

But it's a bit disturbing to see cyclists in its video riding in the
door zone. Too many cyclists don't realize the risk that entails.

The "door zone" is so large now that I wouldn't know how to avoid it. Chevy Camaro doors stick out 10 feet.
Old March 19th 21, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/19/2021 5:20 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 9:41:38 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Volvo claims its cars will watch out for cyclists:
https://www.news24.com/wheels/news/g...ads-20210317-2

But it's a bit disturbing to see cyclists in its video riding in the
door zone. Too many cyclists don't realize the risk that entails.

The "door zone" is so large now that I wouldn't know how to avoid it. Chevy Camaro doors stick out 10 feet.

Take the lane.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 20th 21, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 12:41:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Volvo claims its cars will watch out for cyclists:
https://www.news24.com/wheels/news/g...ads-20210317-2

But it's a bit disturbing to see cyclists in its video riding in the
door zone. Too many cyclists don't realize the risk that entails.

Gee, I didn't know that cyclists had to have someone watch out for
them.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 20th 21, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

Volvo claims its cars will watch out for cyclists:
https://www.news24.com/wheels/news/g...ads-20210317-2

But it's a bit disturbing to see cyclists in its video riding in the
door zone. Too many cyclists don't realize the risk that entails.

Gee, I didn't know that cyclists had to have someone watch out for
them.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Gee, I thought that drivers were supposed to watch out for bicyclists.

Cheers
Old March 20th 21, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 6:41:55 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Take the lane.

This ^^ works well most of the time. I like to keep my eye on my rear-view mirror though. :-)
Old March 20th 21, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

There's an effort to promote the "Dutch Reach" (https://www.dutchreach.org/), which might help it widely implemented. I don't hold out much hope for this though.
Old March 20th 21, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Volvo claims its cars will watch out for cyclists:
https://www.news24.com/wheels/news/g...ads-20210317-2

But it's a bit disturbing to see cyclists in its video riding in the
door zone. Too many cyclists don't realize the risk that entails.

Gee, I didn't know that cyclists had to have someone watch out for
them.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Gee, I thought that drivers were supposed to watch out for bicyclists.

This is getting to be a more important issue. It's sort of a subset of
the Self Driving Car issue.

It's been pointed out that there's no national standard for "self
driving cars," at least as far as detecting bicyclists and pedestrians.
Conceivably one company could have a system whose cars diligently yield
to bicyclists and another company's system could fail to recognize them
half the time; or fail to recognize (say) adult trikes, bikes with
trailers, tandems, etc.

The same problem could exist with a non-autonomous system that's
supposed to augment rather than replace the driver. And I suspect that
most drivers will eventually rely heavily on these driver-assist
features, and compensate by giving much less attention to their driving.
This is risk compensation, and it's what humans do.

Perhaps it will still be a net gain in safety for cyclists and for
pedestrians (who are at much higher risk than cyclists). That is, maybe
a dozing driver plus an AI system with sensors will still do better than
today's average driver. But I think it bears watching.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 20th 21, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/20/2021 11:03 AM, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 9:01:54 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Gee, I thought that drivers were supposed to watch out for bicyclists.

There's an effort to promote the "Dutch Reach" (https://www.dutchreach.org/), which might help it widely implemented. I don't hold out much hope for this though.

I'm _very_ skeptical of "Dutch reach" campaigns. On lots of cars it
doesn't improve the driver's view at all. It's more of a mnemonic
device, to remind the driver to look carefully; but I'm afraid it will
ultimately be no more effective than a string tied on one's finger.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 20th 21, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/20/2021 11:01 AM, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 6:41:55 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Take the lane.

This ^^ works well most of the time. I like to keep my eye on my rear-view mirror though. :-)

I agree.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Is anybody watching the TDF? William Crowell Techniques 10 September 20th 20 06:24 PM
I started watching this ng... mower man Racing 12 August 2nd 09 08:32 PM
Kicking cyclists to death and watching them cycle off cliffs Mark Thompson UK 2 February 27th 07 10:46 PM
Worth Watching Captain General 1 June 13th 06 12:25 AM
watching the wildlife Pete Jones Mountain Biking 23 March 7th 04 02:01 AM