CA traffic law update for cyclists

Old May 8th 21, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default CA traffic law update for cyclists

(California not Canada)

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...s-controversy/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 8th 21, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 5:54:22 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
(California not Canada)

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...s-controversy/

This is already how knowledgeable cyclists behave at stop signs. I am not sure that making it legal for everyone is a good idea. Idiots ride bicycles too.
Old May 8th 21, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/8/2021 8:54 AM, AMuzi wrote:
(California not Canada)

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...s-controversy/

The TV reporting is misleading, of course. The bill (or the laws in
states that have already adopted them) do not allow bicyclists to
"ignore stop signs." These laws allow bicyclists to treat stop signs as
yield signs.

The safety record of such laws is quite good. IIRC, several states have
documented reduced crashes as a result of the laws. As the captain of a
tandem team, I have no doubt we're safer if we don't have to do a
complete stop unless absolutely necessary.

As things are, cops very rarely ticket slmost-stops, except during
occasional "we'll show 'em!" crackdowns. That's true for cyclists as
well as for motorists, who behave just as cyclists do.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 8th 21, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/8/2021 10:13 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/8/2021 8:54 AM, AMuzi wrote:
(California not Canada)

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...s-controversy/

The TV reporting is misleading, of course. The bill (or the laws in
states that have already adopted them) do not allow bicyclists to
"ignore stop signs." These laws allow bicyclists to treat stop signs as
yield signs.

The safety record of such laws is quite good. IIRC, several states have
documented reduced crashes as a result of the laws. As the captain of a
tandem team, I have no doubt we're safer if we don't have to do a
complete stop unless absolutely necessary.

As a data point, Oregon adopted the yield-at-stop-sign rule for cyclists
at the start of 2020. If there has been an increase in road carnage, it
has escaped my notice.

Mark J.
Old May 8th 21, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On 2021-05-08, AMuzi wrote:
(California not Canada)

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...s-controversy/

Ah! I think this is excellent news.

I'm sure everyone else here has the same experience that this is already
kind of the norm for a lot of the cyclists out there.

I know I never or nearly never stop on right-hand turns. (Left hands in UK
and Kingdom).

pH
Old May 8th 21, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2021-05-08, AMuzi wrote:
(California not Canada)

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...s-controversy/

Ah! I think this is excellent news.

I'm sure everyone else here has the same experience that this is already
kind of the norm for a lot of the cyclists out there.

I know I never or nearly never stop on right-hand turns. (Left hands in UK
and Kingdom).

I'll note that some advocacy organizations are hesitant about pushing
for this. That's because of negative feedback from some lawmakers, who
have threatened "You don't want to follow vehicle rules? Then we're
going to take away your vehicle rights." Threats have been to restrict
bikes to low-speed roads (say, nothing over 35 mph), to enact mandatory
bike lane usage, etc.

I haven't heard of any of those threats being carried out in response to
a rolling stop law, but some do worry about the threats.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 9th 21, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2021-05-08, AMuzi wrote:
(California not Canada)

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...s-controversy/

Ah! I think this is excellent news.

I'm sure everyone else here has the same experience that this is already
kind of the norm for a lot of the cyclists out there.

I know I never or nearly never stop on right-hand turns. (Left hands in UK
and Kingdom).

I'll note that some advocacy organizations are hesitant about pushing
for this. That's because of negative feedback from some lawmakers, who
have threatened "You don't want to follow vehicle rules? Then we're
going to take away your vehicle rights." Threats have been to restrict
bikes to low-speed roads (say, nothing over 35 mph), to enact mandatory
bike lane usage, etc.

I haven't heard of any of those threats being carried out in response to
a rolling stop law, but some do worry about the threats.

Like Mark J. mentioned, I haven't seen any blow-back from the passage of the law here in Oregon, either from a safety or a political standpoint. We're always getting push back about bicycle licensing, sales tax on bicycles (which we do have) and other extractions to make bicyclists pay their "fair share," whatever that might be. Bicycles are accused of not following the law, which is often true -- but the Idaho stop law didn't seem to raise hackles -- maybe because of the name "Idaho" which is a conservative state. Hey, if the Idahoans are O.K. with it . . .

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 10th 21, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

On 2021-05-08, AMuzi wrote:
(California not Canada)

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...s-controversy/

Ah! I think this is excellent news.

I'm sure everyone else here has the same experience that this is already
kind of the norm for a lot of the cyclists out there.

I know I never or nearly never stop on right-hand turns.Â* (Left hands
in UK
and Kingdom).

I'll note that some advocacy organizations are hesitant about pushing
for this. That's because of negative feedback from some lawmakers, who
have threatened "You don't want to follow vehicle rules? Then we're
going to take away your vehicle rights." Threats have been to restrict
bikes to low-speed roads (say, nothing over 35 mph), to enact mandatory
bike lane usage, etc.

I haven't heard of any of those threats being carried out in response to
a rolling stop law, but some do worry about the threats.

The easiest variant ist that Florida is now introducing a "Stand your
ground" rule allowing car drivers to plough through any humans using the
road but not a car "kill anybody who threatens you for being home late".

Old May 10th 21, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2021-05-08, AMuzi wrote:
(California not Canada)

[...]

More then half of the 51 states have laws similar to Florida's "stand
your ground" law, or apply existing laws in a similar manner.

--
Cheers,

John B.