Schram cassettes

Old May 11th 21, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default Schram cassettes

I have never been a Schram person also Shimano. I notice that Schram 11 speed cassettes are cheaper and more easily had these days. I have always used a full shimano drivetrain and shifting for me has always been good. My question is if a schram cassette 11 sp. shifts as well as the Shimano cassette on an all shimano drivetrain. I realize they are compatible but is there any downside on the performance?/ I am not worried about price if peformance is better on Shimano I will gladly pay. My instincts tell me a all Shimano will be that much better?
Deacon mark
Old May 11th 21, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/11/2021 1:18 PM, Mark cleary wrote:
I have never been a Schram person also Shimano. I notice that Schram 11 speed cassettes are cheaper and more easily had these days. I have always used a full shimano drivetrain and shifting for me has always been good. My question is if a schram cassette 11 sp. shifts as well as the Shimano cassette on an all shimano drivetrain. I realize they are compatible but is there any downside on the performance?/ I am not worried about price if peformance is better on Shimano I will gladly pay. My instincts tell me a all Shimano will be that much better?
Deacon mark

Fits and shifts the same. Ditto SunRace, IRD and S-Ride.
Suntour ROC seem to be scarce or gone but they were also
fine at a great price last year.

Note fancy carriers, rivetted carrier assemblies,
one-piece-milled aluminum designs etc may be lighter but
won't shift any differently when new. Although expensive,
aluminum sprockets wear faster.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 11th 21, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 11:18:49 AM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
I have never been a Schram person also Shimano. I notice that Schram 11 speed cassettes are cheaper and more easily had these days. I have always used a full shimano drivetrain and shifting for me has always been good. My question is if a schram cassette 11 sp. shifts as well as the Shimano cassette on an all shimano drivetrain. I realize they are compatible but is there any downside on the performance?/ I am not worried about price if peformance is better on Shimano I will gladly pay. My instincts tell me a all Shimano will be that much better?
Deacon mark

I don't think you could detect any performance difference on a standard range road cassette, although there may be wear differences. I don't get good wear out of SRAAM chains. However, I've used SRAAM and Shimano road cassettes interchangeably and now buy whatever is cheapest, which tends to be Shimano for some reason.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 11th 21, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 12:23:39 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Maybe it was back at 8 and 9 speeds but isn't the spacing of SRAM cassettes spaced "progressively"?
Old May 12th 21, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/11/2021 5:42 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Suntour was spaced that way.

For 8, 10 11, 12 Campagnolo is spaced differently from
Shimnao/SRAM/SunRace etc. Oddly nines are just nines-
either cassette format works well in both systems.

Old May 13th 21, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 4:10:48 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

So Shimano has different spacing between the cogs of the 8's 9's and 10's? Campy is all the same from 8 to 10.
Old May 14th 21, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/13/2021 5:41 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

AFAIK all Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo cassettes are evenly
spaced. That is to say the distance between an 11 and a 12
is the same space as between a 28 and a 32 on the same cassette.

A Shimano 8 cassette will not shift properly in a Campagnolo
8 system. Ditto for different brands of Ten cassette. But
with nine speed, one might drop any wheel into any bike with
any gear system and all nines work just fine.

As you note this is _not_ to say mix levers with changers.
That is one hot mess.

But as far as cassette spacing goes (and no further than
that) nines are just nines. Everything else is all over hell.

Old May 14th 21, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/13/2021 6:11 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I don't think that's exactly true, at least not for Campy 10s, see the
link below. Though maybe the different-width spacers combine with
shaped cogs to result in equal spacing between the cogs at the outer
edge / teeth.

http://www.rumplefyke.com/downloads/centaursp.jpg
(First example I could find, but I've got the same image downloaded
direct from campagnolo.com)

Had to use that diagram after I cleaned a loose Campy cassette and
realized belatedly that the spacers were not all the same as I fished
them out of solvent. They do, IIRC, have identifying marks
distinguishing them.

I think the 9sp Campys had all spacers the same, though.

Mark J.

Old May 14th 21, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Yes sprocket thickness and shape requires different spacers
to attain even sprocket spacing in Campagnolo Ten cassettes.
BTW an elegant design, in that the low gear overhangs the
base of the cassette body. Clever!

Old May 14th 21, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 8:22:11 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

Mark, that is an extremely interesting piece of informaton. Those spacers all look alike and they all appear to be the same thickness. But some of the cassettes I put together do not shift very well. I guess I now have to use a vernier to put them together. Thanks for that information. I do not think that the spacing between gears is different, the thickness of the cogs are probably variable. Ahh, the beautiful days of the 9 speeds.

Cassettes [email protected] Techniques 16 August 24th 17 09:34 PM
Shimano cassettes Neal Techniques 3 September 16th 07 02:32 PM
10sp cassettes David M Australia 4 September 29th 05 04:52 AM
Shimano Cassettes Mathias Koerber Techniques 10 March 28th 05 03:47 AM
Schram at it again Claire Petersky General 45 August 14th 03 05:16 PM