Weights of my bikes

Old May 18th 21, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default Weights of my bikes

Op dinsdag 18 mei 2021 om 04:53:45 UTC+2 schreef James:
On 18/5/21 10:22 am, jbeattie wrote:

BTW, your garage operating room is again impressive. I wouldn't know
how to work in such a clean, well organized and lighted space. It
would be disorienting. I'm acclimated to the dim, industrial
revolution feel of my garage and basement shop.

That's a garage? I thought it was Lou's kitchen!

--
JS

At the moment it is the repair shop of my dryer:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DfgedkfM7euUvgo28

Lou, waiting for parts.
Old May 18th 21, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 12:05:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Op maandag 17 mei 2021 om 19:39:41 UTC+2 schreef :
Colnago CLX3.0 bare - 15.8 lbs
Lemond Zurich bare - 20.3 lbs
Douglas Vector with seatpack. - 17.4
Douglas Ti with water bottle and seat pack. - 20.3 lbs.
Eddy Merckx with bottle half full and heavy seatpack - 20.8

My 2018 Trek Emonda bare was 17.5 lbs.

As you can see, aluminum bikes do not necessary have a weight penalty. Nor are titanium bikes particularly light.

I would say that since about 2001 that most decent bikes couldn't be declared as "heavy". The complete Look KG585 which was a light climbing bike was 16 lbs even bare.

With off the shelf parts 2014 and a heavy saddle:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/N8frpRqH5fuj2tuA6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PMxriEU7B8VVnMieA
Still my climbing bike,

According to those here you are taking your life in your hands with a fatigue prone titanium bike that weighs in under 15 lbs.
Old May 18th 21, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 7:42:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Who said that? Moreover, Lou's Ti Moots gravel bike probably comes in closer to 18lbs, assuming he has some reasonably fat tires on it. His 15lb bike is a Canyon CF road bike.

What people said is NOT that modern Ti is failure prone but that it is not immune from failure as you said. Like any other material, it can fail for a number of reasons -- and failures can occur after infancy. I do not know where Ti stands in terms of failure rate compared to aluminum, steel and CF, but I would assume well made Ti frames have a lower failure rate than steel or aluminum because of the character of the metals and their fatigue limits. Ti is a nice material, and I don't think anyone disputes that here.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 18th 21, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 8:05:44 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Jay, we've just gone through this entire charade of titanium being as fatigue prone as anything else. We don't get actual fatigue failures unless a material is stressed to 90% or so of its maximum strength repeatedly. Carbon fiber doesn't even have a fatigue limit but the resin does and it is fairly low. Titanium in most cases doesn't get anywhere near the required stress limits to fatigue since it is so damned strong to begin with. This is why I said that if the Ti frameset doesn't fail in the first month or so it will last virtually forever. I CAN see someone building a Ti frame that is so thin and light that you could cause fatigue failures but that would be a very expensive way to save 2 ounces.
Old May 18th 21, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op dinsdag 18 mei 2021 om 17:05:44 UTC+2 schreef jbeattie:
[...]

My Ti Moots is 9.6 kg with 37 mm gravel tires and 9.3 kg with 32 mm Continental GP 5000 road tires. My Aeroad is 7.25 kg. All weights including pedals and 2 bottle cages.

Lou
Old May 18th 21, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 8:38:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I must have misread your scale which I thought showed 6.64 kg.
Old May 18th 21, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op dinsdag 18 mei 2021 om 17:54:57 UTC+2 schreef :
[...]

You didn't misread my scale, but that was for my Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (6.64 kg) . That is a different bike than my Canyon Aeroad CF SLX (7.25 kg).

Lou
Old May 18th 21, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 5/17/21 10:39 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Colnago CLX3.0 bare - 15.8 lbs
Lemond Zurich bare - 20.3 lbs
Douglas Vector with seatpack. - 17.4
Douglas Ti with water bottle and seat pack. - 20.3 lbs.
Eddy Merckx with bottle half full and heavy seatpack - 20.8

My 2018 Trek Emonda bare was 17.5 lbs.

As you can see, aluminum bikes do not necessary have a weight penalty. Nor are titanium bikes particularly light.

I would say that since about 2001 that most decent bikes couldn't be declared as "heavy". The complete Look KG585 which was a light climbing bike was 16 lbs even bare.

My road bike and the MTB are each between 30-40lbs depending on
destination. With full tool kit, first aid gear, pump, big lighting
battery, tow rope (no joke ...), sturdy lock, MP3 player and often more
than a gallon or water. Sometimes also a bottle of homebrew beer plus
sandwiches.

Considering that I weigh 210lbs myself it all doesn't really matter.
Interestingly I have so far only used the tools and first aid for others
and they were not always cyclist. Pumping up a motorcycle tire with a
pocket rocket pump is serious exercise.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 18th 21, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 18 May 2021 06:38:23 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

Op dinsdag 18 mei 2021 om 04:53:45 UTC+2 schreef James:
On 18/5/21 10:22 am, jbeattie wrote:

BTW, your garage operating room is again impressive. I wouldn't know
how to work in such a clean, well organized and lighted space. It
would be disorienting. I'm acclimated to the dim, industrial
revolution feel of my garage and basement shop.

That's a garage? I thought it was Lou's kitchen!

--
JS

At the moment it is the repair shop of my dryer:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DfgedkfM7euUvgo28
Lou, waiting for parts.

I think I see the problem with the dryer. Such dryers were not
designed to operate in a clean room environment. They work best when
fed a diet of lint and dust. I suggest you prime your dryer with
these ingredients and see if it magically recovers.

My compliments on having and maintaining a very nice and clean shop. I
wish I could do the same. At this time, my former home workshop and
lab are both full of junk. I'm relegated to doing repairs outdoors,
on my deck. When that fills with junk, my next move will be to do
repairs on my flat roof.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old May 18th 21, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

wrote:

Op dinsdag 18 mei 2021 om 04:53:45 UTC+2 schreef James:
On 18/5/21 10:22 am, jbeattie wrote:

BTW, your garage operating room is again impressive. I wouldn't know
how to work in such a clean, well organized and lighted space. It
would be disorienting. I'm acclimated to the dim, industrial
revolution feel of my garage and basement shop.
That's a garage? I thought it was Lou's kitchen!

--
JS

At the moment it is the repair shop of my dryer:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DfgedkfM7euUvgo28
Lou, waiting for parts.

I think I see the problem with the dryer. Such dryers were not
designed to operate in a clean room environment. They work best when
fed a diet of lint and dust. I suggest you prime your dryer with
these ingredients and see if it magically recovers.

The problem is the suppression capacitor (is that correct English?) and the heater. New heater arrived an hour ago.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/puAn2wC9jP9jKVVX9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UA5zdKVFGF2ttDQ58

My compliments on having and maintaining a very nice and clean shop. I
wish I could do the same. At this time, my former home workshop and
lab are both full of junk. I'm relegated to doing repairs outdoors,
on my deck. When that fills with junk, my next move will be to do
repairs on my flat roof.

I'm not a collector. That helps.

Lou

Anyone do weights? Kaiser Sose UK 8 January 11th 07 12:19 PM
Uni Weights... irvinegr Unicycling 13 January 20th 06 01:15 PM
hub weights nickjb Unicycling 5 July 20th 04 11:10 PM
Difference in weights. Simon Mason UK 37 June 7th 04 09:10 AM
Hub and Cranks weights... pluto Unicycling 11 April 15th 04 08:05 PM