A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

YOU TOO CAN MAKE LIKE SHELDON

Old May 26th 21, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default YOU TOO CAN MAKE LIKE SHELDON

YOU TOO CAN MAKE LIKE SHELDON.
Thorn Raven with Rohloff for sale in Portland, Oregon. Not mine. Superior British-made expedition bike with many, many world tours and out of the way places in its history; designed by a Andy Blance on hand of his many tours. Fully outfitted with aspirational European components. Sheldon's was fitted with both straight and drop bars!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Rav...-/304010214830
Make sure before you buy over the net that you understand the Thorn sizing system. (Ask in this thread and I'll give you links and put you in contact with knowledgeable owners.) They have different sizes for straight and drop bars, and even for different riding positions for the same height of rider, in short these are bikes whose desirability starts with their capability of fitting the rider precisely, essential for long days in the saddle on distant roads.

Andre Jute
Another public service to cyclists
Ads
Old May 27th 21, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 2:58:52 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
Thorn Raven with Rohloff for sale in Portland, Oregon. Not mine. Superior British-made expedition bike with many, many world tours and out of the way places in its history; designed by a Andy Blance on hand of his many tours. Fully outfitted with aspirational European components. Sheldon's was fitted with both straight and drop bars!
Make sure before you buy over the net that you understand the Thorn sizing system. (Ask in this thread and I'll give you links and put you in contact with knowledgeable owners.) They have different sizes for straight and drop bars, and even for different riding positions for the same height of rider, in short these are bikes whose desirability starts with their capability of fitting the rider precisely, essential for long days in the saddle on distant roads.

Isn't there a bicycle company in England that has been around for over 100 years now and makes anything you want? Ribble is it?
Old May 28th 21, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 3:07:51 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Isn't there a bicycle company in England that has been around for over 100 years now and makes anything you want? Ribble is it?

I just looked them up, Tom. First time I heard their name; you're never too old to learn. I don't see any custom bikes, just the same or very similar frames adapted to various purposes, and some stupid-light claims. Not inspired at all, as I am by Bob Jackson and Mercia. --- Aj
Old May 28th 21, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 6:04:27 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:

I just looked them up, Tom. First time I heard their name; you're never too old to learn. I don't see any custom bikes, just the same or very similar frames adapted to various purposes, and some stupid-light claims. Not inspired at all, as I am by Bob Jackson and Mercia. --- Aj

My wife's Mercian is about as good a sport bike as you can get handling-wise. A little heavy perhaps but not much.

Ribble, as I understand it, will make ANYTHING in any material.
Old May 29th 21, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 4:57:36 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 6:04:27 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:

My wife's Mercian is about as good a sport bike as you can get handling-wise. A little heavy perhaps but not much.

A Mercian is a class bike. Especially for a lady. It's the sort of bike that gets handed down through the generations, a classic.

Ribble, as I understand it, will make ANYTHING in any material.

It's a pity I didn't know about them when I was trying to get my own design in triangulated small-tube stainless steel built.

Andre Jute
Troglodite no more