YOU TOO CAN MAKE LIKE SHELDON

Old May 26th 21, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default YOU TOO CAN MAKE LIKE SHELDON

YOU TOO CAN MAKE LIKE SHELDON.
Thorn Raven with Rohloff for sale in Portland, Oregon. Not mine. Superior British-made expedition bike with many, many world tours and out of the way places in its history; designed by a Andy Blance on hand of his many tours. Fully outfitted with aspirational European components. Sheldon's was fitted with both straight and drop bars!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Rav...-/304010214830
Make sure before you buy over the net that you understand the Thorn sizing system. (Ask in this thread and I'll give you links and put you in contact with knowledgeable owners.) They have different sizes for straight and drop bars, and even for different riding positions for the same height of rider, in short these are bikes whose desirability starts with their capability of fitting the rider precisely, essential for long days in the saddle on distant roads.

Andre Jute
Another public service to cyclists
Old May 27th 21, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 2:58:52 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Isn't there a bicycle company in England that has been around for over 100 years now and makes anything you want? Ribble is it?
Old May 28th 21, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 3:07:51 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

..
I just looked them up, Tom. First time I heard their name; you're never too old to learn. I don't see any custom bikes, just the same or very similar frames adapted to various purposes, and some stupid-light claims. Not inspired at all, as I am by Bob Jackson and Mercia. --- Aj
Old May 28th 21, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

.
I just looked them up, Tom. First time I heard their name; you're never too old to learn. I don't see any custom bikes, just the same or very similar frames adapted to various purposes, and some stupid-light claims. Not inspired at all, as I am by Bob Jackson and Mercia. --- Aj

My wife's Mercian is about as good a sport bike as you can get handling-wise. A little heavy perhaps but not much.

Ribble, as I understand it, will make ANYTHING in any material.
Old May 29th 21, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 4:57:36 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

A Mercian is a class bike. Especially for a lady. It's the sort of bike that gets handed down through the generations, a classic.

Ribble, as I understand it, will make ANYTHING in any material.

It's a pity I didn't know about them when I was trying to get my own design in triangulated small-tube stainless steel built.

Andre Jute
Troglodite no more

R.I.P. Sheldon? §:.3( It's Chris General 2 February 27th 08 04:32 PM
¡Ñ_¡Ñ¡Ñ_¡Ñ¡Ñ_¡Ñ¡Ñ_¡Ñhelp you make the money ,help you make beautiful lift ¡Ñ ¡Ñ www ¡Ñ ¡Ñ elecserver-yhnetstore ¡Ñ ¡Ñ cn [email protected] Techniques 0 January 4th 08 09:14 PM
Sheldon got there first! Tony Raven UK 1 September 3rd 06 07:16 AM
Anybody seen Sheldon lately? jtaylor UK 2 June 22nd 06 03:48 PM
Sheldon is first. Ed Techniques 4 April 5th 05 07:20 PM