97km race report

Old September 12th 05, 03:00 AM
peter.bier

Default 97km race report

In which Tony Melton, Danny Peters and Peter Bier attempt the inaugural
Hamilton to Auckland cycle race.

I thought I would chronicle yesterday’s events for posterity. There
were several things that made the race a little different from previous
things we have done.

Saturday night preparation:

Tony and I drove down to Hamilton on Saturday to make sure we were “well
rested” before our race. This backfired a little as Tony and Danny
decided to go trials riding (until 11pm). They got to bed sometime past
midnight but did manage a good feed of potatoes and pasta.

I spent the evening playing on exercise machines at a gym, shopping for
last minute race supplies and then searching for a restaurant to carbo
load at. Unfortunately the restaurant search started at around 10:30pm
so no pasta was available and I had to settle for Pizza at 11:30pm. It
felt more like fat loading then carbo loading :-p

Race day:

Every one woke up at 5:30am. In Danny and Tony’s case it was because
someone smashed a stolen car into two of the cars parked outside Danny’s
house. The car took out one flatmate’s vehicle than span in to another
one, took out a tree and then rolled over on to its roof. Rather a
dramatic awakening!

I picked up Danny and Tony and took them back to by my hotel for last
minute coker tweaking. Tony and I were riding our custom cokers and
Danny had borrowed a stock standard coker. We all decided to ride with
125mm cranks for at least the first 50km of the race as the first half
was made of flat terrain. I managed to break Tony’s brake so he had
to remove his trusty Maguras and then it was off to the start line,
about a 1km ride from my hotel.

We had prearranged to start an hour and a half early so we could finish
before the end of the race. The timing crew cheered as off as we left
the start line and started out along the main state highway.
Fortunately we only had to ride for 15km along the main road before
ducking off onto quieter back roads. It was a very peaceful journey,
for the next hour and a half with river views for much of it.

The first 50km fair flew by at a pleasant cruising speed of 17km/h.
Around this point cyclists started to catch us and we gradually adjusted
to the steady stream of cyclists and usual comments.

At around the 55km mark the hills started to rear there ugly heads and
after a few battles up them Danny decided to switch to 150s. Tony and I
were both surprised to find we were coping with 125s and decided we
would stick with them for the entire race. The next few km were pretty
hard going with a lot of uphill work. The only real joy was we got to
pass a few cyclists who were also struggling up. Tony started leaving
us in the dust as his superior power to weight ratio kicked in. Around
the 60km mark we all ran out of water which was a bit of a worry in the
middle of nowhere. Eventually Danny and I found a golf course club
house to fill up which kept us going. Finally reaching the top of a
long climb meant a very nice decent downhill stretch.

Around the 80km mark tiredness was starting to set in and Danny was
cramping pretty badly. Tony has long since disappeared ahead and I
ended up riding somewhere in the middle. Most cyclists had passed us by
now so it was very quiet riding with not much in the way of
distractions. The last few hills had me on the verge of cramp but
thanks to a regular intake of leppin squeezes (liquid carbo gel) I held
on ok to the end.

I finished in around 6 and a half hours (official time still pending)
about half an hour behind Tony and a mere couple of minutes ahead of
Danny who had struggled through his cramp to maintain a good pace.

We recovered at the finish line where our enthusiastic support team of
Kirsten met us. After a breather and answering a million questions from
fellow cyclists we did a 4km victory ride to ensure we all rode a full
100km as the official race length was 97km. All in all it was a
challenging day and the best thing is I can still ride and walk a day
later :-)

--
peter.bier - Posting since 97

-Peter Bier

peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

Old September 12th 05, 03:04 AM
steveyo

Congratulations. Sounds like an epic ride!

--
steveyo - Last will be first

steveyo

"I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
unknown

"Do whatever steps you want if
you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer

Old September 12th 05, 03:17 AM
Unitik908

nice read.. sounds like a rockin ride

Chase

--
Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

Old September 12th 05, 04:21 AM
joefish

I can say that we managed to convince Tony not to do this quite
technical drop while we were trials riding the night before (or maybe he
convinced himself). Either way, it would have been gutting to have been
injured the night before. Why exactly they did want to go trials riding
the night before I don't know, although I guess it was just too tempting
not to.

I'm thinking I might have to do something like this next year. For me,
getting up in time to see you guys off at the start of the race was hard
enough :P (That was myself and Tim who came to see you guys off).

By the way Peter, I'm enjoying the KH muni

--
joefish
joefish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9194

Old September 12th 05, 10:16 PM
TonyMelton

Here's my report: http://tinyurl.com/bt9ab

On previous long coker rides I've suffered from knee pain, but on this
ride I had no pain at all. I put it down to using short cranks, as your
feet describe a much smaller pedalling circle, so there's less strain on
the knees.

--
TonyMelton - Cloud 9

The way to a man's heart is through his veins.
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old September 13th 05, 02:30 AM
nathan

Way to go guys! I liked both reports. Yes short cranks (127 or 110) are
the way to go for long rides like this. So much easier on the body.

We did a big ride this weekend also - will post when I have photos all
ready.

Cheers from California!

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old September 13th 05, 02:42 AM
GizmoDuck

TonyMelton wrote:
*
On previous long coker rides I've suffered from knee pain, but on this
ride I had no pain at all. I put it down to using short cranks, as
your feet describe a much smaller pedalling circle, so there's less
strain on the knees.

*

My sentiments exactly. Less knee pain, less chafing, less saddle
soreness.....yay for short cranks!

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/) -
check out my new and improved website
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

Old September 13th 05, 02:57 AM
TonyMelton

Yep, you were so right when you recommended shorter cranks to me when I
complained of knee pain, Ken. I love 127s!