Pashley Provence? Opinions

Old April 29th 05, 01:31 PM
emma

Default Pashley Provence? Opinions

Having come across the Pashley Provence I'm finding it hard to tear
myself away from the idea of this as a bombproof bike that will last
for ever. Anyone got any opinions? I do need to ride up the odd hill
but nothing too big...It has got the 5 speed hub and I'm only 20 miles
from the factory in Stratford...I know its a bit miss marple but its
soooo my idea of a proper bike...

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/cl...ification.html

Old April 29th 05, 01:46 PM
Colin Blackburn

emma wrote:
Having come across the Pashley Provence I'm finding it hard to tear
myself away from the idea of this as a bombproof bike that will last
for ever. Anyone got any opinions? I do need to ride up the odd hill
but nothing too big...It has got the 5 speed hub and I'm only 20 miles
from the factory in Stratford...I know its a bit miss marple but its
soooo my idea of a proper bike...

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/cl...ification.html

It does look nice :-) I have no opinions on it but you might also want
to consider classic Dutch Roadsters such as the ones at:

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/gazelle.html

These offer very similar specifications, in 3 and 7 speed hub-geared
options.

Colin
Old April 29th 05, 05:30 PM
Simon Mason

"emma" wrote in message
oups.com...
Having come across the Pashley Provence I'm finding it hard to tear
myself away from the idea of this as a bombproof bike that will last
for ever. Anyone got any opinions? I do need to ride up the odd hill
but nothing too big...It has got the 5 speed hub and I'm only 20 miles
from the factory in Stratford...I know its a bit miss marple but its
soooo my idea of a proper bike...

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/cl...ification.html

Looks nice - my wife wants one of these to commute to work. Hubs brakes
seems a good idea too.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old April 29th 05, 06:12 PM
doki

emma wrote:
Having come across the Pashley Provence I'm finding it hard to tear
myself away from the idea of this as a bombproof bike that will last
for ever. Anyone got any opinions? I do need to ride up the odd hill
but nothing too big...It has got the 5 speed hub and I'm only 20 miles
from the factory in Stratford...I know its a bit miss marple but its
soooo my idea of a proper bike...

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/cl...ification.html

I'd want 700c wheels, they seem to roll faster and comfier than 26" wheels
with slicks IME.

Old April 29th 05, 06:15 PM
Not Responding

doki wrote:
emma wrote:

Having come across the Pashley Provence I'm finding it hard to tear
myself away from the idea of this as a bombproof bike that will last
for ever. Anyone got any opinions? I do need to ride up the odd hill
but nothing too big...It has got the 5 speed hub and I'm only 20 miles
from the factory in Stratford...I know its a bit miss marple but its
soooo my idea of a proper bike...

I nearly bought my mother a Pashley Princess for her birthday earlier
this year. She thought it looked wonderful and she liked the bell
(mothers' logic, I suppose). Then she tried to pick it up and, after
only a short stint in the back hospital, decided to go for something
lighter.

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/cl...ification.html

I'd want 700c wheels, they seem to roll faster and comfier than 26" wheels
with slicks IME.

Less of that small wheel phobia, thankyou very much. My Dahon has 20"
wheels and out freewheels my brother's slick shod MTB.
Old May 3rd 05, 09:49 AM
Carol Hague

Not Responding wrote:

doki wrote:

I nearly bought my mother a Pashley Princess for her birthday earlier
this year. She thought it looked wonderful and she liked the bell
(mothers' logic, I suppose). Then she tried to pick it up and, after
only a short stint in the back hospital, decided to go for something
lighter.

Rob bought one of those for me several years ago. We were living in
Wells in Somerset at the time and it was fine for riding to work on as
the place was pretty flat. Beautiful machine, but weighs a ton.

A couple of years ago we gave it to Rob's Mum and she loves it. She
doesn't go very far on it, but it gets her flower-arranging supplies to
the local church, which is what she wants it to do.

--
Carol
"Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"
Old May 3rd 05, 10:07 AM
Peter Clinch

Carol Hague wrote:

A couple of years ago we gave it to Rob's Mum and she loves it. She
doesn't go very far on it, but it gets her flower-arranging supplies to
the local church, which is what she wants it to do.

It seems like the sort of job this bike was just created for. Can see
it on a picture postcard!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old April 29th 05, 06:23 PM
Clive George

"doki" wrote in message

I'd want 700c wheels, they seem to roll faster and comfier than 26" wheels
with slicks IME.

What you're feeling is the differences in the bike, not the wheel size
alone. You need to a) read up on what that nice Mr Moulton worked out, and
b) look at the range of decent 26" wheeled bikes (have a look at
SJSC/Thorn).

(did you know the mixed E2E tandem record is on a 26" wheeled bike?)

Certainly our 26" wheeled tandem is faster than our previous 700c one.

cheers,
clive

Old April 30th 05, 09:31 AM
doki

Clive George wrote:
"doki" wrote in message

I'd want 700c wheels, they seem to roll faster and comfier than 26"
wheels with slicks IME.

What you're feeling is the differences in the bike, not the wheel size
alone. You need to a) read up on what that nice Mr Moulton worked
out, and b) look at the range of decent 26" wheeled bikes (have a
look at SJSC/Thorn).

(did you know the mixed E2E tandem record is on a 26" wheeled bike?)

Certainly our 26" wheeled tandem is faster than our previous 700c one.

I'd be surprised if the bike frame could make that much difference. One was
a 26" wheeled mountain bike with suspension forks, and the other was a 700c
wheeled Ridgeback Nova. The ridgeback's heavier, and being as they're both
aluminium, they should both be pretty rigid.

Crankset opinions jim c Techniques 14 December 16th 04 01:32 AM
Pashley Sovereign in the USA? AndrewG General 31 September 29th 04 04:14 AM
Opinions on wireless computers? Preston Crawford General 25 September 9th 04 05:04 PM
Which type of bike? Your opinions please. Chris Hansen General 3 January 16th 04 01:10 PM
Specialized FSR XC Pro opinions, also K2 and Fisher mfgp Mountain Biking 4 October 27th 03 04:34 PM