Two More Years

Old September 29th 04, 12:10 AM
Fx199

Default Two More Years

Subject: Two More Years
From: Zoot Katz
Date: 9/28/2004 4:27 PM US Eastern Standard Time

Broken down into rough categories, it looks like this:

Parts, including components, frames and one $25 bike; $2264.63
Accessories, like bags, racks, lights and locks, etc; $670.44
Tools; at least $181.41
Supplies including lubricants, paint, solvents, steel wool, etc; $136.37
Clothes including shoes, rain gear and helmets; $998.40.

I posted the above bit of trivia Sept 25th 2002 approximately two
years after returning to cycling. I'd kept receipts and categorised
them. Message-ID:

Now two years later I've done another accounting of receipts
accumulated since that time. Using the same categories:

Parts, including some new wheels, switching to clipless and standard
maintenance items like tires chains and cogs - $649.22

Accessories, including a couple replacement cyclometers, new lights
and a pump - $117.64

Supplies, I can only find receipts for some zip ties, de-greaser and
grease - $16.04

Tools includes minor speciality tools and a new pair of side cutters
- $73.01

Clothes includes rain pants, shoes, shorts, jerseys and jackets -
$565.83

Two additional categories are Dinos and Repairs.
Dinos - $81.70, fabric, velcro, hot melt glue, tape, elastic etc for
three complete Veloraptors and some extras still awaiting completion.

Repairs - $10.70 for getting the fork straightened after being smacked
by a scud while my hand was still too weak to tweak the bent leg back
into alignment myself. I actually had to force the money on Johan.

So a total accounting represents $1514.14 spent since September 2002
and a grand total after four years $5765.39 - batteries not included.

Gratuities, donations, events and beer are additional so don't count.

Averaged out it's only $1441.34 per year or $144.13 per bike per year.
Fourteen hundred bucks is what it costs to insure one car for a year.
Not bad for transportation, wardrobe, entertainment and fitness. Plus
I've got something to show for it except cancelled cheques from the
insurer.

Congratulations, Mr Scrooge
Old September 29th 04, 08:39 AM
Raoul Duke

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

Averaged out it's only $1441.34 per year or $144.13 per bike per year.
Fourteen hundred bucks is what it costs to insure one car for a year.
Not bad for transportation, wardrobe, entertainment and fitness. Plus
I've got something to show for it except cancelled cheques from the
insurer.

That's nice. How many kids do you have to haul around?

Dave

Old September 29th 04, 03:43 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:39:08 -0700, ,
"Raoul Duke" wrote:

That's nice. How many kids do you have to haul around?

If I'd ever wanted to haul kids I'd drive a school bus.
--
zk
Old September 29th 04, 05:55 PM
Craig Brossman

Zoot Katz wrote:

Averaged out it's only $1441.34 per year or $144.13 per bike per year.
Fourteen hundred bucks is what it costs to insure one car for a year.
Not bad for transportation, wardrobe, entertainment and fitness. Plus
I've got something to show for it except cancelled cheques from the
insurer.

I have friends who have recently become cycling enthusiasts. They tend
to be relatively cheap and are always suprised with the cost of this
sport. Unfortunatly they don't see big picture, which obviously you do.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply
Old September 29th 04, 06:55 PM
Raoul Duke

"Craig Brossman" wrote in message
Zoot Katz wrote:

Averaged out it's only $1441.34 per year or $144.13 per bike per year.
Fourteen hundred bucks is what it costs to insure one car for a year.
Not bad for transportation, wardrobe, entertainment and fitness. Plus
I've got something to show for it except cancelled cheques from the
insurer.

I have friends who have recently become cycling enthusiasts. They tend
to be relatively cheap and are always suprised with the cost of this
sport. Unfortunatly they don't see big picture, which obviously you do.

This "big picture" would only apply if your friends were to get rid of their
cars and depend on their bicycles exclusively for transportation.

Dave

Old September 29th 04, 09:48 PM
Fritz M

"Raoul Duke" wrote in message :

That's nice. How many kids do you have to haul around?

I'm not car-free nor do I believe the car-free life is practical for
many people, but my two children (ages 5 and 9) haul their own selves
to where we need to get. The 5-year-old rides in the trailer for the
longer trips across town.

RFM