wheel walking

Old February 27th 05, 07:08 AM
jgherr

Default wheel walking

I decided to try and learn how to wheel walk the other day, and I was
wondering what the best way to learn is.

--
jgherr
jgherr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9278

Old February 27th 05, 07:23 AM
jsm

Barefoot+ceiling is my recommendation, although most riders would
probably disagree with me. Try to find a low ceiling that you can reach
without raising your arms to much, and without scaping your hands. You
can use this to brace youself, and it works much better than a wall,
because you can go in any direction, like you will once you've learned
it. The ceiling works great for any wheel walking variation where you
have your hands free. The advantage of working barefoot is that you get
a lot better feel for the wheel. This is especially helpful if you have
big, clumsy feet as I do, which require even bigger, clumsier shoes.

Wheel walk can take a while to learn, but it's definitely worth it, as
it is the key to lots of other unicycle tricks, such as gliding. The
main things to remember, especially once you start working a way from
the wall/ceiling are to go slow and lean back.

--
jsm - Dark and stormy stand-up wheel walk

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Old February 27th 05, 07:27 AM
James_Potter

I'd agree with jsm on being barefoot, that helps a lot, plus it's just
fun to ride a uni with no shoes.
But I'd disagree with the ceiling part. Holding your hands above your
head is an unnatural position for unicycling, so it doesn't feel
right.... holding a wall though, you're just sticking your arms out to
the side which is normal.
Also, lean waaaay back, a lot further back than you think you should,
and go reeeaally slow, a lot slower than you think you should.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old February 27th 05, 07:30 AM
Denali

Lean a bit back... [edit] ooops beaten to the Submit button
Practise...
As jsm said, wheel walking opens a whole world of skills that you could
try......

--
Denali - Heil Denali
Denali's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9085

Wheel Walking Unitik908 Unicycling 10 December 9th 04 02:56 AM
Wheel Walking questions Skippii Unicycling 4 December 1st 04 08:18 PM
105 flange failure pics cashrefundman Techniques 26 November 30th 04 06:37 PM
Spoke Over-Tension and Drifting Wheel Alignment mCrux Techniques 6 August 25th 04 04:29 PM
Wheel Walking treepotato Unicycling 6 December 2nd 03 01:19 AM