rear view mirrors

Old March 26th 07, 03:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Default rear view mirrors

wrote:
wondering about the wisdom of using rear view mirrors,
especially in city traffic.
I visited a couple of bike shops here in Adelaide and the sales staff
there didn't have too much positive to say about them, although they
stocked the type that attaches to the handle bar. One shop had
stocked
the helmet type several years ago, but had discontinued them
primarily
because they shook too much to be of any use.
Rec.Bicycles has a thread dealing specifically with the helmet types
and
opinion seems to be that they are an asset.
Asset or not, I rarely see rear view mirrors on bikes here in
Adelaide.

Thanks in advance.

For many years I had a CatEye Mirrorcle on my
bike. I have a dominant left eye (ie can't see
very well out of the right eye) so I found it
pretty useful. This mirror mounted on the brake
hoods of my tourer and was very much out of the way.
This was in the days before hidden cables - the
brake cable went through the mirror mount.

Since I've moved to hidden cables, I've not used
a mirror and there are times that I miss it,
especially when riding in traffic. I've not found
a good replacement in terms of a mirror that provides
good vision and does not get in the way. I've never
tried a helmet mirror and given my right eye problem,
I'm pretty sure it won't work for me.

I think Zebee's suggestion is the way to go - suck it
and see.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old March 26th 07, 04:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-03-26, OzCableguy wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
wondering about the wisdom of using rear view mirrors,
especially in city traffic.

http://www.mirrycle.com/mountainmirrycle.htm

They make some nice gear!, I like the invisabell ( a bell that plugs
into the end of your bars and bar-ends, Can you tell me who is Oz stocks
Mirrycle?

Cheers

joel

Old March 26th 07, 04:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

On 2007-03-26, OzCableguy wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
wondering about the wisdom of using rear view mirrors,
especially in city traffic.

http://www.mirrycle.com/mountainmirrycle.htm

They make some nice gear!, I like the invisabell ( a bell that plugs
into the end of your bars and bar-ends, Can you tell me who is Oz stocks
Mirrycle?

Cheers

joel

Ivanhoe Cycles have them. I got one on my new bike. Works well but
sticks out too far (fits into the bar end) and is starting to give me
the sh!ts in tight maneuvering in peak hr traffic.

DaveB
Old March 26th 07, 05:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"Joel Mayes" wrote in message
. ..

They make some nice gear!, I like the invisabell ( a bell that plugs
into the end of your bars and bar-ends, Can you tell me who is Oz stocks
Mirrycle?

I think they're fairly common. I got the mirror from my LBS at
http://www.bicyclecentre.com/ but they google up all over the place -
http://tinyurl.com/2lxq2h

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old March 26th 07, 07:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-03-26, DaveB wrote:
Joel Mayes wrote:

Ivanhoe Cycles have them. I got one on my new bike. Works well but
sticks out too far (fits into the bar end) and is starting to give me
the sh!ts in tight maneuvering in peak hr traffic.

DaveB

Cheers!

My partner has cut down flat bars which are getting pretty crowded, one
of these will make a great suprise!

Thanks

Joel
Old March 26th 07, 01:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

I use a helmet mirror but fit it to my glasses.
http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/bikestuff/GLASSES.JPG. It's a helmet mirror
with the mounting pad for the helmet chopped off and some heatshrink tubing
to attach it to the side of the glasses. Once I had the mirror position
sorted out I used a bit of superglue under the heatshrink to fix it in
position.

Works well for road racing as well. I never have to turn my head to see
who's behind / if there's a gap / are they gaining etc.

Nick

oups.com...

Old May 4th 07, 08:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

wrote in message
oups.com...
wondering about the wisdom of using rear view mirrors,
especially in city traffic.
I visited a couple of bike shops here in Adelaide and the sales staff
there didn't have too much positive to say about them, although they
stocked the type that attaches to the handle bar. One shop had
stocked
the helmet type several years ago, but had discontinued them
primarily
because they shook too much to be of any use.
Rec.Bicycles has a thread dealing specifically with the helmet types
and
opinion seems to be that they are an asset.
Asset or not, I rarely see rear view mirrors on bikes here in
Adelaide.

Thanks in advance.

And another to look at for those that replied here

http://groups.google.com.au/group/au...ba55bdb4e1af04

Electronic rear view maf UK 2 March 21st 06 06:11 PM
Rear-View Mirror Charlie UK 2 June 16th 05 03:24 PM
Rear view mirror yum Techniques 20 March 8th 05 06:43 PM
Rear view morrors Joseph Australia 10 October 26th 04 09:08 PM
Roadies, do you use rear-view mirrors Sheldon Brown General 122 December 3rd 03 12:28 AM