Best road trips

Old November 10th 04, 05:43 PM
TSJ

Default Best road trips

Cycle tourists:

What is the most enjoyable cycling trip you have ever done, where was
it, and why did you like it? And what the heck, long single day rides
count too. We're not charged by the word (are we?), so don't spare the
details if you've got the time....

THANKS!!
Old November 10th 04, 07:40 PM
rhnb

Well I suppose this counts - it's a cycling trip (albeit a shortish one). A
50 mile hilly ride starting from my front door through some of the nicest
scenery the English Lake District has to offer. The ride description
probably isn't a lot of use to anyone (unless they want to follow it
themselves), but the pictures will give you some idea of why I like it so
much.
You can see them here...
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/loca...ide1/index.htm

I've been lucky enough to do 4 tours in Italy so far and you got me to
thinking which I enjoyed most.
I'm happy to say, I don't know! They were all brilliant.
If you're interested, I've written them up and you can see them here...
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm

Cheeers.. Allan.
~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
Cycling Before Lycra

Old November 10th 04, 08:47 PM
Chuck Anderson

TSJ wrote:

Cycle tourists:

What is the most enjoyable cycling trip you have ever done, where was
it, and why did you like it? And what the heck, long single day rides
count too. We're not charged by the word (are we?), so don't spare the
details if you've got the time....

THANKS!!

The big favorite in the US is the Pacific Coast (easy, fun, scenic, well
traveled, cyclist's accommodated with maps, camping, road shoulders, and
signs). http://cycletourist.com/Seattle_To_San_Francisco/

In Europe, the Danube River Trail is considered especially schöne (same
qualities as above, except that it is nearly all off road).
http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Austria/

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old November 11th 04, 12:35 AM
Mathieu Peyréga

TSJ a écrit:
Cycle tourists:

What is the most enjoyable cycling trip you have ever done, where was
it, and why did you like it? And what the heck, long single day rides
count too. We're not charged by the word (are we?), so don't spare the
details if you've got the time....

THANKS!!

I guess it was in Scotland last summer...

full details at
http://matioupi.free.fr/Voyages/Ecos...se_07_2004.htm

comments are written in French, but if enough people ask fir it, I can
try and make a translation, witch could be good to exercise my English ;-)

Regards,

Mathieu

Old November 11th 04, 01:57 PM
Mike Vermeulen

What is the most enjoyable cycling trip you have ever done, where was
it, and why did you like it? And what the heck, long single day rides
count too. We're not charged by the word (are we?), so don't spare the
details if you've got the time....

My favorites fall into two categories: extended tour and a shorter
ride.

By extended tour I mean multiple weeks/months. What I enjoy about
such a tour is having a very different lifestyle of each day packing
my things up and riding to see something entirely new. I also enjoy
learning a lot more about a country as I'm traveling slow enough to
stop/see/smell and talk with locals while still going quick enough to
travel long distances. I like the adventure of it all.

I've done several extended tours, but my favorite in this category
would be a trip I took over eight months once around the perimeter of
Australia (http://www.mvermeulen.com/oneyear/australia.htm).
Australia has a bunch of interesting scenery and the right mix of
challenge/adventure/comfort. I also met a bunch of very nice people
on this trip.

On a shorter ride, I am not as completely imersed in cycle touring as
a lifestyle. Instead what I enjoy about such a ride is a combination
of the variety, scenery and interesting stops along the way. One of
my favorites there (and a ride I've done multiple times), was riding
from the San Francisco Bay Area over the hills to Santa Cruz and then
down the Pacific Coast to San Luis Obispo. Some wonderful riding and
scenery there. There is also some really nice riding further north on
the US Pacific coast such as down the Oregon Coast and through the
redwoods.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

Old November 11th 04, 11:46 PM
GaryG

"Mathieu Peyréga" wrote in message
TSJ a écrit:
Cycle tourists:

What is the most enjoyable cycling trip you have ever done, where was
it, and why did you like it? And what the heck, long single day rides
count too. We're not charged by the word (are we?), so don't spare the
details if you've got the time....

THANKS!!

I guess it was in Scotland last summer...

full details at
http://matioupi.free.fr/Voyages/Ecos...se_07_2004.htm

comments are written in French, but if enough people ask fir it, I can
try and make a translation, witch could be good to exercise my English ;-)

Regards,

Mathieu

I've done the Bicycle Tour of Colorado (
http://www.bicycletourcolorado.com/ ) three times now. It's a different,
challenging, and beautiful route each year. Here are some photo galleries
I've posted:

2001 -
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliS.../BTC2001_1.htm
(or, http://tinyurl.com/3zfac )

2002 -
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliS.../BTC2002_1.htm
(or, http://tinyurl.com/6ljcw )

2003 -
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliS...03/BTC0017.htm (or,
http://tinyurl.com/5wn7n )

One of my favorite one-day rides is right in my own backyard. It's a
beautiful, self-supported, century ride around Mt. Lassen, in northern
California. Pictures and map he

http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliS...4/RAML_001.htm
(or, http://tinyurl.com/4vyqs )

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

off road or on road tyre Skunk UK 14 July 21st 04 07:55 PM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Marketplace 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Sierra Nevada - Tioga/Sonora Pass [email protected] Rides 1 November 3rd 03 07:52 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM