frame sizing for a woman?

Old September 4th 05, 06:15 PM
Alan Paterson

Default frame sizing for a woman?

Despite much Googling and poking, I can't seem to find any sites with a
straightforward guide to frame sizing for women. I know one answer is to
visit your friendly local bike shop, but I really can't afford to buy from
the FLB - it has to be ebay. So: 5' 4" missus, 30 1/2" inside leg, wants a
conventional sort of bike - no MTB or drop handlebars....any suggestions on
where I should start, or a URL for a simple chart? Many thanks for any help.

Old September 4th 05, 07:37 PM
soup

Alan Paterson wrote:
Despite much Googling and poking, I can't seem to find any sites with
a straightforward guide to frame sizing for women. I know one answer
is to visit your friendly local bike shop, but I really can't afford
to buy from the FLB - it has to be ebay. So: 5' 4" missus, 30 1/2"
inside leg, wants a conventional sort of bike - no MTB or drop
handlebars....any suggestions on where I should start, or a URL for a
simple chart? Many thanks for any help.

http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
and go to the page on frame sizing if you are getting a "male" frame for
her just sub in male/female for rider, this might give you a start, but
I would say for something that she (potentially) will get a lot of use
out of, not to mention the expense, a day spent getting "fitted" is well
worth it. There are total bargains to be had on eBay but you would need
to know what you were looking for .
All IMHO and YMMV
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

yours S

Old September 4th 05, 08:29 PM
wafflycat

"Alan Paterson" wrote in message
Despite much Googling and poking, I can't seem to find any sites with a
straightforward guide to frame sizing for women. I know one answer is to
visit your friendly local bike shop, but I really can't afford to buy from
the FLB - it has to be ebay. So: 5' 4" missus, 30 1/2" inside leg, wants a
conventional sort of bike - no MTB or drop handlebars....any suggestions
on
where I should start, or a URL for a simple chart? Many thanks for any
help.

Speaking as a person of the female gender, I've found the best thing to do
is try a bike for size. Of my three bikes, only one is a "woman's" bike. The
other two are "men's" and I have no problem with them at all. Indeed my
everyday bike is a tourer with a "men's" frame. I did change the saddle
though, to a women's Terry's Liberator TiLite and put some nice bright pink
handlebar tape on it :-) My other steed is a recumbent trike and that's
decidedly unisex.

Cheers, helen s

Old September 4th 05, 09:13 PM
Sandy Morton

In article , wafflycat
waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk wrote:
Speaking as a person of the female gender, I've found the best
thing to do is try a bike for size. Of my three bikes, only one is
a "woman's" bike. The other two are "men's" and I have no problem
with them at all.

I am amazed at the number of female customers who wish a ladies bike
and then swing their leg over the back!

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old September 4th 05, 10:20 PM
Tim Hall

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 17:15:50 +0000 (UTC), "Alan Paterson"
wrote:

Despite much Googling and poking, I can't seem to find any sites with a
straightforward guide to frame sizing for women. I know one answer is to
visit your friendly local bike shop, but I really can't afford to buy from
the FLB - it has to be ebay. So: 5' 4" missus, 30 1/2" inside leg, wants a
conventional sort of bike - no MTB or drop handlebars....any suggestions on
where I should start, or a URL for a simple chart? Many thanks for any help.

The former bog snorkelling champion, urc contributor and all round
good egg, Myra van Inwegen has an article on her website on this
subject:

http://www.myra-simon.com/myra/bike/womens-fit.html

Tim
Old September 5th 05, 11:10 PM
Alan Paterson

Many thanks for responding. These bob snorkers get around. It's all a bit
techy tho'... Isn't there something a bit simpler, that just has a rough 'n
ready table? Ta again.

Old September 6th 05, 12:09 AM
Steph Peters

"Alan Paterson" of BT Openworld wrote:
Despite much Googling and poking, I can't seem to find any sites with a
straightforward guide to frame sizing for women. I know one answer is to
visit your friendly local bike shop, but I really can't afford to buy from
the FLB - it has to be ebay. So: 5' 4" missus, 30 1/2" inside leg, wants a
conventional sort of bike - no MTB or drop handlebars....any suggestions on
where I should start, or a URL for a simple chart? Many thanks for any help.

There isn't a straightforward answer, because manufacturers differ. I have
very short legs, so need a frame with a low standover. When looking for a
bike in the low end frame sizes, smaller than your wife will need, I found
that some frames labelled 15" were fine, in other brands I needed 14, but in
yet another brand the 13 was too high.

At a minimum take your wife to several bike shops, try a few bikes and see
what sizes fit. This will give you some idea where to start, but to get
something that fits from ebay you are going to have to ask sellers for
measurements, or end up with a poor fit.
--
Judge: A law student who marks his own papers.
Henry Louis Mencken

Madone 5.2 SL Hans C. Techniques 35 September 21st 05 12:35 AM
Giant frame sizing - daft question Paul UK 7 March 5th 05 08:31 AM
29er frame sizing JoelM Mountain Biking 4 October 16th 04 11:01 PM
Frame sizing question alex887 Mountain Biking 6 March 23rd 04 08:22 AM