new Bigha web site...

Old November 28th 03, 01:23 PM
Ernest

Default new Bigha web site...

Hey guys, I know this isn't a 'bent group, but since it's general
interest and a lot of people have asked commuting-related questions, I
thought some folks might be interested.

We just launched an entirely new site at http://www.bigha.com

For those who've never seen it, the Bigha is a recumbent-style bike,
though the seating position is a good deal higher than it is on most
recumbents.

What also makes it pretty unique is that it has completely integrated
electronics (trip computer, digital compass, altimeter, etc.) and
lighting (the taillight actually lights up when you brake--I still get
a kick out of that, and both the head and taillight auto-illuminate as
ambient lighting drops).

It is at the top end of the 'bent spectrum at $3,000, but I think it
offers some really unique capabilities. It also completely changes
your perspective on riding. I still love my road bike (a Jamis Quest
-- that's right, steel baby! ;-) and my mountain bike, but for daily
commuting I absolutely love my Bigha.

Hope this doesn't come across too "salesy." I'm just a huge fan of our
bike and we all put a huge amount of TLC into our new site.

A warning in advance, if you're using an older version browser the
site is probably going to look weird. We tried to be as inclusive as
possible (tested against Internet Explorer 6 for Win/5 for Mac,
Mozilla for Win, and Safari for Mac), but we just couldn't deliver the
experience we wanted to deliver and still accomodate older browsers.
Apologies in advance to you hold outs out there.

But anyone who's seen the old site will be happy to hear that we
completely did away with Flash!
Old November 28th 03, 10:30 PM
Kaputnik

I tried to post this once before, but Google apparently hiccupped.

I don't really get indignant over this sort of thing, as no doubt
your're just trying to make a living, but isn't your post just spam?
Wouldn't this be more appropriate on rec.bicycles.marketplace?

Because of the delay on Google postings, perhaps others have already
pointed this out, and I just don't know it.

Please reply only to newsgroup.

Old November 29th 03, 06:25 AM
Ernest

I did have some misgivings about posting here, but I decided to go
ahead because I'm not really trying to sell anyone anything (which is
also why I didn't think it made sense to post it to marketplace).

But that's why I wanted to make it clear that I work for the company.
Maybe you think I'm a shill, but I genuinely want feedback from other
cyclists about our new site.

We're not some evil megalith of a corporation with hundreds of
marketing minions that can go out and do focus groups all around the
world. We're just a handful of people who make a bike that we really
like and I, as someone who just put a lot of time into developing a
new Web site, decided to see if I could get some objective feedback
from other people who like bikes.

And posting this message is something I did, personally, on my own
time, as a human being who craves feedback from other human beings.

If that's wrong then I guess I'll refrain from posting any more.

As for BikeE, I never worked for them, so I'm not privy to any inside
info, but what I do know is that they went out of business on their
own--Bigha had nothing whatsoever to do with it (their series of
product recalls surely didn't help). The founder of Bigha, John Acres,
wrote an in-depth explanation that was published on Bentrideronline a
little while back. If you're interested, you can read it here
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol4.2/bigha.htm
Old November 29th 03, 09:38 PM
Alan Acock

I missed the original post, but I want to encourage small and innovative
manufactures to share information with us. There is no way they can afford
major advertising campaigns to get the information available to us. As long
as they want to share information and not sell us something, they should be
encouraged.

Bigha makes no sense to me because it is both expensive and extremely heavy.
It is still interesting to learn what they are doing.

Alan Acock

om...

Old November 29th 03, 10:03 PM
Tom Sherman

Alan Acock wrote:

I missed the original post, but I want to encourage small and innovative
manufactures to share information with us. There is no way they can afford
major advertising campaigns to get the information available to us. As long
as they want to share information and not sell us something, they should be
encouraged.

Bigha makes no sense to me because it is both expensive and extremely heavy.
It is still interesting to learn what they are doing.

The Bigha costs more than twice as much as other recumbents that are
comparable in comfort and performance, e.g. Burley Limbo, Cannondale
Recumbent Bent II. $1500 US is a lot of money for the integrated
electronics on the Bigha.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old November 30th 03, 05:12 AM
Kaputnik

"Alan Acock" wrote in message news:%k8yb.255791$275.931860@attbi_s53...
I missed the original post, but I want to encourage small and innovative
manufactures to share information with us. There is no way they can afford
major advertising campaigns to get the information available to us. As long
as they want to share information and not sell us something, they should be
encouraged.

Bigha makes no sense to me because it is both expensive and extremely heavy.
It is still interesting to learn what they are doing.

Well fair enough, but any sales pitch can be said to be "sharing
information", if it tells you enough about the product. When a post
encourages you to go to a web page to find out about a product, and
the poster works for the company, it is trying to sell you something.
That's not to say that the product is bad, or that their site may not
be interesting.
Old November 30th 03, 06:04 AM
The Real Bev

Tom Keats wrote:

Later, I'll check and see how it comes across in Lynx. I guess I'm
one of those Old School hold-outs who still believes in backward
compatibility. But then, I still believe in Vertical Development,
too. Pathetic, eh?

Check out w3m. More configurable and shows pix when you want to.
Husband (former lynx fan) loves it. I switched to NS when web designers
stopped designing for text-only users.

--
Cheers,
Bev