disk vs. v/cantilever brakes

Old June 7th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default disk vs. v/cantilever brakes

I've never ridden a bicycle with disk brakes. Do they really offer
significant advantages over v-brakes? Are there any down sides to
using disk brakes (compared to v-brakes), like maintenance?

I'm aware of the controversy of front disk brakes in current fork
designs, so here I'm specifically referring to rear brakes. Are there
any mass-produced forks that are disk safe?

I also understand, generally speaking, hydraulic is better than
mechanical when it comes to disk brakes.

Old June 7th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

damyth wrote:
I've never ridden a bicycle with disk brakes. Do they really offer
significant advantages over v-brakes?

The good, non-cheap ones work well.

Are there any down sides to
using disk brakes (compared to v-brakes), like maintenance?

Pads are more expensive, and they're heavier.

I'm aware of the controversy of front disk brakes in current fork
designs, so here I'm specifically referring to rear brakes. Are there
any mass-produced forks that are disk safe?

Huh? Are you asking about forks or frames? Frames are all disc-ejection
immune. In terms of forks, as long as you attach a serrated-face skewer
with a gentle cam profile on an aluminum (not steel or ti) fork, and you
attach the QR *properly*, you'll be fine.

I also understand, generally speaking, hydraulic is better than
mechanical when it comes to disk brakes.

If it's well-sealed, hydros are low-maintenance, nearly drag-free, and
pleasureable to use. If they leak or absorb water, bleeding becomes an
issue. Mechanicals are just that: mechanical. Generally easy to fix if
something goes wrong, which is pretty rare. IME, both mechanical and
hydraulic systems work well, provided they both work as properly.

--
Phil

Old June 7th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

damyth wrote:
I've never ridden a bicycle with disk brakes. Do they really offer
significant advantages over v-brakes? Are there any down sides to
using disk brakes (compared to v-brakes), like maintenance?

The braking power of disk brakes is hugely superior to any other kind.
That said, if V-brakes or any other kind provide you with enough
stopping power, you might not value the difference. I'm 230lbs and the
difference is like night and day.

I'm aware of the controversy of front disk brakes in current fork
designs, so here I'm specifically referring to rear brakes. Are there
any mass-produced forks that are disk safe?

I was not aware of this problem. I think a properly mounted wheel would
be fine.

I also understand, generally speaking, hydraulic is better than
mechanical when it comes to disk brakes.

I've only used mechanical, so I don't know.

Joseph

Old June 7th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

damyth wrote:
I've never ridden a bicycle with disk brakes. Do they really offer
significant advantages over v-brakes?

Yes they do :
- Much more power while wet/muddy,
- More power at high speed,
- No heat dissipation in heat-sensitive tyre and tube.

Are there any down sides to
using disk brakes (compared to v-brakes), like maintenance?

Maintenance is not the same for hydros, but not more complicated than
the cable routing and pad aligning needed for vbrakes.
Pads cost more but have a longer life, makes no difference.

Imho the main downside is cost (yo have to add the cost of the brake
system and the cost of new wheels or at least new hubs and a rebuild)
when switching from vbrakes to discs.
A small downside is that it adds a bit of dish to the wheels, nothing
to be really afraid of...
It also adds a few grams to your bike, but only a few.
A last one is that some hydros may encounter power fading when heating
(depends on brake fluid among other factors), some do not at all.

I'm aware of the controversy of front disk brakes in current fork
designs, so here I'm specifically referring to rear brakes. Are there
any mass-produced forks that are disk safe?

As stated, the problems with discs and forks are generally a
combination of factors.
If you want something totally safe, go for a 20mm thru-axle - it will
also make your fork (much) stiffer.

I also understand, generally speaking, hydraulic is better than
mechanical when it comes to disk brakes.

Good mechanicals, ie with ball bearings (not much choice : AvidBB5/BB7
or Hayes MX1) are not a bad choice.
They have the upside to be totally insensitive to heating, whereas some
hydros may be (especially with old brake fluid).
They generally have the downside to be a bit less progressive (ie to
offer a less sensitive touch). It depends also on the lever and cable
housing used.

Old June 7th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article . com,
damyth ) wrote:
I've never ridden a bicycle with disk brakes. Do they really offer
significant advantages over v-brakes? Are there any down sides to
using disk brakes (compared to v-brakes), like maintenance?

The ones I have - Hope and Magura hydraulics - work very well indeed,
and continue to do so even in the rain. This I find useful :-) The
Avid linear-pull brake on my fixer is anaemic in comparison.
Maintenance is pretty simple (ask me about that again on Monday
though..) for hydraulics and even more so for mechanicals.

Heavy urban or off-road use obviously chews the pads more than ordinary
road riding; I would typically get about 1500 km from the front Hope
Mini on the commuting bike, whereas those on the trike had plenty of
meat left after 8000. Except the outer one on the right wheel which,
for no readily-apparent reason, had worn out completely.

I'm aware of the controversy of front disk brakes in current fork
designs, so here I'm specifically referring to rear brakes. Are there
any mass-produced forks that are disk safe?

I've never had a problem on either of my conventionally-forked disc
braked machines, though bear in mind that these are used almost
exclusively ON-road. Just check the front q/r regularly and things
/should/ be OK

I also understand, generally speaking, hydraulic is better than
mechanical when it comes to disk brakes.

I've had a brief play with a bike equipped with Avid mechanicals and was
not terribly impressed. The general feel and modulation of hydraulics
is much nicer, IMHO, and when I am rich and famous, I shall rid the
fleet entirely of machines which are stopped by pulling a piece of
string. Does anyone do a nice carbon fork with disc brake tabs and
mudguard mounts?

The System is well pleased with this Unit's performance, which falls
within expected parameters.
Old June 7th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

damyth says...

I've never ridden a bicycle with disk brakes. Do they really offer
significant advantages over v-brakes? Are there any down sides to
using disk brakes (compared to v-brakes), like maintenance?

When v-brakes work well, they are fine, but discs offer some advantages.
I have a bike with v-brakes where the front howls like a banshee
intermittently. I haven't found an easy cure for this problem. Discs
will be somewhat heavier, even if you get expensive lightweight ones.
Discs generally offer more predictable and better modulated braking.
Discs aren't affected by a rim being out of true or other slight
variations in the rim surface. Rim brakes leave some of the pad rubber
on the rim which itself causes some issues. Discs are easier to replace
and generally cheaper than rims should wear of the braking surface
become an issue. Discs do require periodic recentering and adjustment,
but so do v-brakes.

I'm aware of the controversy of front disk brakes in current fork
designs, so here I'm specifically referring to rear brakes. Are there
any mass-produced forks that are disk safe?

The so called controversy is the product of one person's crusade. Last
I checked, he was the only person known to have had a disc brake wheel
ejection. For a variety of reasons, his was a very peculiar case. It
is almost impossible for it to happen unless the skewer is so loose that
the mechanical obstacle of the retention lips is bypassed. In that
case, you would lose your wheel anyway the first time it left the ground
going over a small bump.

I also understand, generally speaking, hydraulic is better than
mechanical when it comes to disk brakes.

Hydraulics are generally lighter, but better is debatable. One of the
best loved disc brakes out there is the Avid mechanical. Hydraulics are
more progressive, meaning that slight increases in lever pressure
produce proportionally much more braking power. This may be a curse or
a gift. If you aren't expecting it, progressive braking could send you
over the bars. Been there, done that. If they are progressive and not
"grabby", then once you get used to them, they have a very positive feel
and other brakes seem slow and mushy in comparison.
Old June 7th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

damyth wrote:
I've never ridden a bicycle with disk brakes. Do they really offer
significant advantages over v-brakes? Are there any down sides to
using disk brakes (compared to v-brakes), like maintenance?

I'm aware of the controversy of front disk brakes in current fork
designs, so here I'm specifically referring to rear brakes. Are there
any mass-produced forks that are disk safe?

I also understand, generally speaking, hydraulic is better than
mechanical when it comes to disk brakes.

Let's try to remember tha advantages of disc brakes...
-Great for wet, muddy conditions where the rim of the wheels get mucked
up
-Great in case you really wack a rim, you can still 'get out' and have
a brake

BUT they are expensive, complicated, require specific forks, frames and
hubs. When compared to V Brakes, and not in the conditions mentioned,
vbrakes are superior. BUT many still get them for coffee shop ponts
before the ride.

If ya gotta do them, hydraulic are the way to go but are a large step
above mechanical discs in terms of cost, complexity, service required,
fragility.

Old June 7th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

damyth wrote:
I've never ridden a bicycle with disk brakes. Do they really offer
significant advantages over v-brakes?

if you ride in mud and rain, yes, definitely. better stopping, no fade,
and much longer pad life.

Are there any down sides to
using disk brakes (compared to v-brakes), like maintenance?

no, just as easy to set up.

I'm aware of the controversy of front disk brakes in current fork
designs, so here I'm specifically referring to rear brakes. Are there
any mass-produced forks that are disk safe?

anything with lawyer lips is safe. use a hub with serrated axle faces
and a closed cam skewer like shimano or campy if you're still worried.
don't get suckered in by any chicken little stories from people that
deliberately omit key elements from their math.

I also understand, generally speaking, hydraulic is better than
mechanical when it comes to disk brakes.

yes. much better modulation. once set up, trouble free to operate as
they self-adjust.