Compact Road Bike not suitable for tall riders?

Old December 9th 03, 03:40 AM
powinc

Default Compact Road Bike not suitable for tall riders?

I was told by one of our local bike shop staff that 'Compact frames are
not suitable for tall riders'. He also said that the 'geometry goes out
of whak when the frame sizes increases'.

Is there any truth to this?? Or is my local shop just pushing their
Trek's too hard? Because I did test ride a Merida 903 (at a different
retailer) and was told it was a semi-compact frame and it felt OK.

If this is true, it limits my choice of road bike by ~50%. i.e.
Specialized, Giant, etc.

powinc

Old December 9th 03, 04:12 AM
Jose Rizal

powinc:

I was told by one of our local bike shop staff that 'Compact frames are
not suitable for tall riders'. He also said that the 'geometry goes out
of whak when the frame sizes increases'.

Is there any truth to this?? Or is my local shop just pushing their
Trek's too hard? Because I did test ride a Merida 903 (at a different
retailer) and was told it was a semi-compact frame and it felt OK.

Don't go back to that LBS: it's full of BS.

Old December 9th 03, 04:59 AM
Etxy

waffle wrote:
when I went to a certain bikeshop who shall remain nameless,
come on, spread the knowledge and empower the consumer - name the
bike store!

LOL, it's in the Ringwood area and ends in 'Workshop'. That's all I'm
saying.

Old December 9th 03, 04:59 AM
waffle

Old December 9th 03, 04:59 AM
amirm

powinc wrote:
I was told by one of our local bike shop staff that 'Compact frames are
not suitable for tall riders'. He also said that the 'geometry goes out
of whak when the frame sizes increases'.
Is there any truth to this?? Or is my local shop just pushing their
Trek's too hard? Because I did test ride a Merida 903 (at a different
retailer) and was told it was a semi-compact frame and it felt OK.
If this is true, it limits my choice of road bike by ~50%. i.e.
Specialized, Giant, etc.
powinc

I believe the phenomenon of compact frames sold at mass numbers these
days is more of a fashion gimmick. I'm not an expert, but I remember
those days when compact frames were designed for sprinters. All the
facts about their geometry is in agreement with sprinting.

Now, some bike manufacturers have found people to have a taste for the
looks of compcat frames. Therefore, we are having a marketing/fashion
matter rather than technical.

Old December 9th 03, 04:59 AM
SCOOBA STEVE

I think thats crap. I am 6'2" and was bought a compact bike because of
my height. The idea with the compact frame is to cut down on frame
material by reducing the length of the seat tube thus reducing flex in
the frame. And what better size rider to take advantage of this than a
taller rider. Its up to you but i think a larger frame in a compact
style looks 100% better than standard frames. I own a GIANT aluminium
frame with all the Carbon Fibre bits and it works a treat form me, even
a "A" grade club level. I think you should get a second poin of view.
Maybe this guy was trying to sell u one of the few bikes brands that do
not have the compact frame in it's range.

GOOD LUCK

Old December 9th 03, 04:59 AM
waffle

who cares! aesthetically they look like rubbish and, as far as i can
tell thankfully there has been a reversion to more traditional geometry
frames in the last 12-18 months.

Old December 9th 03, 04:59 AM
Etxy

powinc wrote:
I was told by one of our local bike shop staff that 'Compact frames are
not suitable for tall riders'. He also said that the 'geometry goes out
of whak when the frame sizes increases'.
Is there any truth to this?? Or is my local shop just pushing their
Trek's too hard? Because I did test ride a Merida 903 (at a different
retailer) and was told it was a semi-compact frame and it felt OK.

The opposite is true with me... when I went to a certain bikeshop who
shall remain nameless, they tried to sell me a Giant OCR and when I told
them I was after a standard geometry bike, the staff member in question
became quite defensive and aggressive, informing me it was 'my own
stupid loss' and making it plain that because I didn't like the OCR,
they wanted me out of their shop. I was quite taken aback, and am never
going back there.

Personally I don't like the look of compact road bikes, and will stick
with a semi-compact or standard framed bike as long as its possible for
me to do so.

Old December 9th 03, 07:41 AM
Paul J

I bought a new bike on weekend. I have gone from a compact Giant to a
traditional geometry. It's gonna take some getting used to after riding
the Giant for a few years but it's not twitchy like the Giant and is
definately alot smoother.

I think one of the main reasons so many makers and bike shops take on
the compact geometry is to reduce inventory, therefore reducing costs.
I think the larger compacts look pretty good but for comfort I am
definately leaning toward the standard geometry. I'll just use the
Giant for quick bursts across town from now on and the new one for
doing 70km plus.

Another point about Giant is they're still using 6000 series aluminium.
Most manufacturers seem to have moved on to 7000.

Old December 9th 03, 07:41 AM
byron27

SCOOBA STEVE wrote:
I think thats crap. I am 6'2" and was bought a compact bike because of
my height. The idea with the compact frame is to cut down on frame
material by reducing the length of the seat tube thus reducing flex in
the frame. And what better size rider to take advantage of this than a
taller rider. GOOD LUCK

Reduces flex in the frame but increases flex in the seatpost. i broke my
seatpost and i think i would prefer my frame snapping, less painful.
Anyhow, the long and short of it ( ) is that i have an avanti corsa
compact frame for sale, any takers??

FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
PA riders: Easton to Philly? Hal Rides 0 July 18th 03 03:53 PM