Sherpa Van Project

Old July 29th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
reyserf

Default Sherpa Van Project

Amanda Brown wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of The Sherpa Van Project
(www.sherpavan.com) in moving bags on, e.g., the Coast to Coast? Has anyone
used them to do it as a solitary cyclist? Is there anyone else who might be
better? All I want is someone who'll pick up my bags after I leave one place
and deliver them before I get to the next -- the way organised groups like
Headwater do, but without the tedium of being in an organised group. And, in
the case of the Coast to Coast, get me and my bike back to the starting
point at the end of the ride.

An alternative to the Sherpa van service is Stanley Taxis who run a
bike bus service. I know of a local ( to me) cycling club that have
used them to travel to their starting point with no complaints. You can
Google for their phone number

Geo

Old July 29th 06, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter

"Amanda Brown" wrote in message
m...
Actually, Geo, and although I thanked you, now that I look at it your
reply
is no more helpful than the other fellow's. I'm not asking who can get me
the start. I'm asking who'll move my bags between stopping points at a
reasonable price. The Sherpa Van Project say they do, but do they? Has
anyone got any experience of them? It's very nice of you men to answer the
question you think I should have asked, dumb little woman that I no doubt
am, but what I'd really like is someone to answer the question I actually
did ask. Because -- oddly -- that's the one I want an answer to.

--

No, no, no,
You need to ask a question that we want to answer, so that we can answer it

Old July 31st 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Arthur Clune

Amanda Brown wrote:
anyone got any experience of them? It's very nice of you men to answer the
question you think I should have asked, dumb little woman that I no doubt
am, but what I'd really like is someone to answer the question I actually
did ask. Because -- oddly -- that's the one I want an answer to.

Tetchy, tetchy. Chill. This is usenet. Advice is worth what you pay
for it.

And to answer a question you did ask, 2005.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune
Old July 31st 06, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Amanda Brown wrote:
Actually, Geo, and although I thanked you, now that I look at it your reply
is no more helpful than the other fellow's. I'm not asking who can get me to
the start. I'm asking who'll move my bags between stopping points at a
reasonable price.

It's about twenty quid for a rack. If your bags aren't panniers, then
you'll need some of those too.

The effort comes at the cost of a few more calories.
Old July 31st 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Amanda Brown wrote:
It's about twenty quid for a rack etc.

The effort comes at the cost of a few more calories.

What a cheapskate you must be -- certainly not one of the Cheshire
Fanshawes, I can tell that. The rack I used on my trip from Le Havre to
Marseille cost MUCH more than that. About four times more. The panniers were
pricey, too, though worth it. And -- as I've said elsewhere -- I still have
them.

And I'm sure they're worth the extra. However, I doubt that on the trip
you're planning you would need the extra performance, therefore I
suggested a lower price range. Evidently I missed your description of
your existing panniers and rack.

But that isn't what I choose to do this time. Heard of choice, have you,
petal?

Wrote the book, sweetheart. Through a combination of indecision and
lack of planning, I get to exercise choice in everything - I fear that
having my bags carried for me would lead to early and inconvenient
separation.
Old July 31st 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Amanda Brown" wrote in message
m...

But that isn't what I choose to do this time. Heard of choice, have you,
petal?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...lance&n=266239

:-)

cheers,
clive

Old July 31st 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Eilbeck

"Amanda Brown" writes:

It's about twenty quid for a rack etc.

The effort comes at the cost of a few more calories.

What a cheapskate you must be -- certainly not one of the Cheshire
Fanshawes, I can tell that. The rack I used on my trip from Le Havre
to Marseille cost MUCH more than that. About four times more. The
panniers were pricey, too, though worth it. And -- as I've said
elsewhere -- I still have them.

But that isn't what I choose to do this time. Heard of choice, have
you, petal?

You're very arsey for someone looking for advice!

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old July 31st 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Mon, 31 Jul, Amanda Brown wrote:

If I've been rude unintentionally, I apologise.

Well, as a disinterested non-participant, it all looked pretty
intentional. If you don't want people's advice, don't ask for advice.
If you don't want a discussion don't post to usenet. If you're going
to get crappy about everyone being sexist don't make dumb postings
where you criticise attempts to be helpful, and don't attribute the
crappiness of their attempts to help you (free, in their own time, at
no obligation, generally being helpful) as being down to them being
men.

How ****y do you think you look when people try and help, and you
throw it back with venemous comments about how all men are useless and
stupid?

Have a nice life. Don't rush back.

kindest regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 31st 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Mon, 31 Jul, Chris Eilbeck wrote:
"Amanda Brown" writes:

But that isn't what I choose to do this time. Heard of choice, have
you, petal?

You're very arsey for someone looking for advice!

I think it's a troll. It's certainly unpleasant and is presumably
trying for some sort of record - entry into the most killfiles with
the least postings, maybe.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 31st 06, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On 31-Jul-2006, Ian Smith wrote:

How ****y do you think you look when people try and help, and you
throw it back with venemous comments about how all men are useless and
stupid?

Er...I think that must have come out of your own head -- it certainly didn't
appear in any post of mine.

Now, I wonder why you're saddled with that view?

Largely through observing your postings.

the starting point at the end of the ride."

But then, shortly after, when someone answers the specific point you
asked, you're being crappy:

and notbout getting to the start. Or the finish, for that matter."

Which, as shown, was not the case - you specifically asked about
getting back to the start. So, tetchy when someone offers advice that
you specifically asked for.

have asked, dumb little woman that I no doubt am, but what I'd really
like is someone to answer the question I actually did ask."

Now, you're claiming that's not a comment about men being stupid?

Actually, it's clearly apparent that you are dumb little woman. You
can't even remember what you prattled about a few short hours earlier
- "how can I get back to the start" you ask, then "I didn't ask about
getting to the start".

Make your mind up.

By the way, you could also do with finding out how to quote postings.
Most of your dumb prattle makes no sense, because you provide no
context. I expect it makes no more sense if you do provide context,
but at least we'd stand a chance of finding out what's floating
through your little head if we knew what you were replying to.

But for preference, just **** off and don't come back.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Sherpa Van Project Ben Barker UK 0 July 29th 06 03:38 PM
FS: Rudy Project Reload [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 3rd 06 07:33 PM
FS: Rudy Project Overload! Helmets and Glasses [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 27th 06 03:58 PM
UK, Yorkshire-unicycle project on 'Calendar' onewheeldave Unicycling 1 July 7th 05 07:23 AM
Cycle Saturation Project John Hearns UK 0 April 11th 05 02:07 PM