Slick vs Non-Slick Tyres on a Hybrid

Old July 1st 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Slick vs Non-Slick Tyres on a Hybrid

I've been using Specialized Armadillo tyres (700x28) on my hybrid &
have been fairly happy with them. Recently I saw the Schwalbe Marathon
Plus tyres recommended & thought I'd give them a go. I bought one over
the net & when it arrived it's got more of a tread on it than I
expected. Given that the Specializeds are pretty slick I've got a
couple of questions:

I use my bike for 9 mile (each way) commute year round from one London
suburb to another. Bearing in mind I always end-up carrying a laptop,
clothes etc etc in my panniers - will using non-slick tyres make any
realistic difference time / effort wise?

Also: does it matter if I have a non-slick on the front (ie the
Schwalbe Marathon) and a slick on the back? I was wondering if it
might make slides more likely or risky if they happen.

Thanks for any advice,

Michael

Old July 2nd 06, 01:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Following on from Michaels's message. . .
I've been using Specialized Armadillo tyres (700x28) on my hybrid &
have been fairly happy with them. Recently I saw the Schwalbe Marathon
Plus tyres recommended & thought I'd give them a go. I bought one over
the net & when it arrived it's got more of a tread on it than I
expected. Given that the Specializeds are pretty slick I've got a
couple of questions:

(1) Good question : Let us know!

(2) The road conditions are going to vary much more than the pattern of
a tyre. For example mini-roundabouts tend to be coated with oil film
(on them and at the approaches). A short summer downpour after a week
or two of dry weather will make the roads foam with oil film.

I have always had patterned tyres but I still wouldn't trust them in
potentially slippery conditions.

PS. I've preferred patterned tyres for the extra rubber = extra
puncture protection, so my opinion is somewhat hypothetical.

--
PETER FOX Not e-commerce business came to a .

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old July 3rd 06, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tread is only of value in mud off road.
I've ridden Specialized Fatboys which are totally slick for many years.

Old July 3rd 06, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:
I've been using Specialized Armadillo tyres (700x28) on my hybrid &
have been fairly happy with them. Recently I saw the Schwalbe
Marathon Plus tyres recommended & thought I'd give them a go. I
bought one over the net & when it arrived it's got more of a tread on
it than I expected. Given that the Specializeds are pretty slick
I've got a couple of questions:

I use my bike for 9 mile (each way) commute year round from one London
suburb to another. Bearing in mind I always end-up carrying a laptop,
clothes etc etc in my panniers - will using non-slick tyres make any
realistic difference time / effort wise?

Might add 0.5mph on average.

Also: does it matter if I have a non-slick on the front (ie the
Schwalbe Marathon) and a slick on the back? I was wondering if it
might make slides more likely or risky if they happen.

A less slick tyre doesn't grip the road any better; it's debateable
whether it grips any worse. It depends on the exact nature and pattern of
tread, I think, and inflation pressure and compound too. The same tyres
don't have to be used front and back. If you do reckon that one tyre
grips better than the other, it's sensible to put that one on the front.
If they're about the same in that regard, put the most puncture resistant
one on the rear.

If you bought the MPs for extra puncture resistance, you won't be getting
very much benefit from just using one on the front, where punctures tend
to be less of a problem, and grip may be be worse. I'd use one on the
back, both of them, or none at all if I wanted more slickness or
lightness.

Anyway, don't over-inflate the tyres, don't lean too much when cornering,
don't over-use the brakes, and you'll be safe as far as grip goes with any
old tyres.

~PB

Old July 3rd 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Pete Biggs wrote:

If you bought the MPs for extra puncture resistance, you won't be getting
very much benefit from just using one on the front, where punctures tend
to be less of a problem, and grip may be be worse. I'd use one on the
back, both of them, or none at all if I wanted more slickness or
lightness.

MPs feel slightly less grippy than Armadillos to me, I suspect the
compound is slightly harder, they certainly seem to take a lot of miles
before they loose that new look. However this is purely subjective and
I could be imagining it.

Even so, I'd be inclined to put the new MP on the back where the extra
weight won't be so noticeable, the increased puncture resistance will
be of more benefit and the lower grip won't matter so much.

Better still, increase your average speed by getting 2 MPs so you don't
spend so much time fixing flats.