Pain and Numbness

Old July 8th 05, 12:51 AM
Pat

: Yeah gloves help a bit, but I find that it's just too darn hot to wear
: gloves in the summer in Florida!
:
: Ken

One day I couldn't find a glove, so I rode with one glove on. I didn't like
it because my gloveless hand started sweating and was sliding all over the
hoods. The one with the glove on stayed put even though it was hotter. It
was a lesson learned: gloves anchor your hands to the handlebars.

Pat in TX
:

Old July 8th 05, 12:59 AM
Dave Vandervies

In article , Pat wrote:

: Yeah gloves help a bit, but I find that it's just too darn hot to wear
: gloves in the summer in Florida!
:
: Ken

One day I couldn't find a glove, so I rode with one glove on. I didn't like
it because my gloveless hand started sweating and was sliding all over the
hoods. The one with the glove on stayed put even though it was hotter. It
was a lesson learned: gloves anchor your hands to the handlebars.

I solved that one with hockey tape. Gloves are still nice for long rides,
but no more worries about hands slipping off because of sweat.

dave
(too bad I didn't think of this until AFTER I had both hands slide
off hitting a bump... and both feet off the pedals shortly thereafter
because of the shock (from the bump or from the surprise, I'm not quite
sure)... though somehow I still managed to keep going in a straight
line and not hit anything for long enough to regain control. THAT was
an interesting experience.)

--
Dave Vandervies
More proof that the surefire way to discover the answer to your question
Old July 8th 05, 11:33 AM
Steve McDonald

Were you in the Army as a youth? Did you suffer from the malady
known as "M1 thumb"?
Caused by not pulling your thumb out of the action of an M1 rifle
quickly enough to avoid getting it mashed by the strong spring. The
nail then turns black and falls off, marking the unfortunate victim for
ridicule. This disabling condition can come back as a "numb thumb" in
later years. I caught mine so often, that I cheated and started using
my left hand and then got it mashed as well. Everyone in our training
brigade, right up to the commanding general, heard the story about the
recruit with two M1 thumbs and had a good laugh. Even Alfred G.
Middlebrooks III laughed, because even though he had 6 digits on each
hand and 6 toes on each foot, he never caught his thumb in the gun.
Even today, in cold weather, my thumbs often go numb and hurt.

Steve McDonald

Old July 8th 05, 11:43 AM
Ken M

Well I guess that depend on what type of bike you are riding. I had
that problem when I was rding my road bike alot (brother has that bike
now) But now I am mostly riding my mtb with grippy grips, but I do slip
a bit on the bar ends.

Ken

Old July 9th 05, 03:14 PM
brucianna

Pat wrote:
: Yeah gloves help a bit, but I find that it's just too darn hot to wear
: gloves in the summer in Florida!
:
: Ken

One day I couldn't find a glove, so I rode with one glove on. I didn't like
it because my gloveless hand started sweating and was sliding all over the
hoods. The one with the glove on stayed put even though it was hotter. It
was a lesson learned: gloves anchor your hands to the handlebars.

And, at least when riding on Chinese roads, gloves prevent bruising.
If I don't have them I end up with visible bruises on my palms whenever
I spend more than an hour on the bike.

Bike gloves also make a great pair of brakes for wheelchairs. I've yet
to find a wheelchair with anything usable beyond parking brakes.
Though, from having acquaintances who have spent more than three months
in a 'chair I understand that they do exist.

-M

Old July 9th 05, 03:17 PM
brucianna

Steve McDonald wrote:
Were you in the Army as a youth?

I still am a youth. 24 this March.

Did you suffer from the malady known as "M1 thumb"?
Caused by not pulling your thumb out of the action of an M1 rifle
quickly enough to avoid getting it mashed by the strong spring. The
nail then turns black and falls off, marking the unfortunate victim for
ridicule.

I've seen rifles. I've even touched one, once. But I've never
actually fired a gun. So, I don't think this could be the cause of the
problem.

-M

Old July 10th 05, 02:02 AM
Steve McDonald

Bruciana wrote:

I still am a youth. 24 this March.

When I was 24, girls were already calling me a dirty old man.

Steve McDonald

Old July 10th 05, 02:38 AM
C.J.Patten

Steve McDonald wrote:
Bruciana wrote:

I still am a youth. 24 this March.

When I was 24, girls were already calling me a dirty old man.

Steve McDonald

You mean you hadn't moved on to "women" by the time you were 24?

"Uh-hmmm... high school girls. I keep gettin' older. They stay the same
age." (Matthew McConaughey in "Dazed & Confuzed"

Ouch!! Comfy WOMEN'S SADDLE help please Larry General 16 September 27th 04 07:37 PM
Groin pain / numbness Tom UK 8 August 27th 04 12:21 PM
Oh my aching back Grumpy Techniques 19 August 15th 04 11:33 PM
fit question-need a little help fixing some pain kyjelly General 4 July 27th 04 10:30 PM
knee/leg pain Niteynite1 Recumbent Biking 2 October 17th 03 10:08 PM