How can I stop my rear wheel from loosening?

Old July 10th 05, 03:55 AM

Default How can I stop my rear wheel from loosening?

I recently bought a new set of Cane Creek wheels. For some reason, the
rear wheel loosens and becomes misalligned -- usually on a climb -- to
the point that the tire rubs against the left chainstay. I've had
several wheels in this frame -- an older cro-moly Merckx -- without any
problem, so I assume its not the frame thats the problem. Before my
last ride, I put the quick-release lever on the right-hand (derailer)
side, and it seemed to stay straight. (But it was a short ride.) Is
that the solution, or is there something else I can try? (And yes I
made sure the lever was tight . . . in some cases REALLY tight.)

Old July 10th 05, 09:33 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Jeff Starr writes:
On 9 Jul 2005 19:55:33 -0700, wrote:

I recently bought a new set of Cane Creek wheels. For some reason, the
rear wheel loosens and becomes misalligned -- usually on a climb -- to
the point that the tire rubs against the left chainstay. I've had
several wheels in this frame -- an older cro-moly Merckx -- without any
problem, so I assume its not the frame thats the problem. Before my
last ride, I put the quick-release lever on the right-hand (derailer)
side, and it seemed to stay straight. (But it was a short ride.) Is
that the solution, or is there something else I can try? (And yes I
made sure the lever was tight . . . in some cases REALLY tight.)

Hi, it does sound like the QR is at fault. Use the one from your old
set of wheels. If that is what you are using than you may have to buy
one.
Here is some good info on QR:
http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

I don't wanna come off sounding like The Voice of Expertise,
'cause I sure ain't. But I've got this nagging, sneaking hunch
that Lawyers'-Lips are somehow involved in this problem, and it
/might/ be solved by dispensing with them, plus maybe installing
a somewhat longer chain. I could very well be wrong, so don't
listen to me too intently.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 10th 05, 03:06 PM
Jeff Starr

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:33:45 -0700, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Starr writes:

Hi, it does sound like the QR is at fault. Use the one from your old
set of wheels. If that is what you are using than you may have to buy
one.
Here is some good info on QR:
http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

I don't wanna come off sounding like The Voice of Expertise,
'cause I sure ain't. But I've got this nagging, sneaking hunch
that Lawyers'-Lips are somehow involved in this problem, and it
/might/ be solved by dispensing with them, plus maybe installing
a somewhat longer chain. I could very well be wrong, so don't
listen to me too intently.

cheers,
Tom

You are probably right, about being wrong.

I don't think they put lawyer's lips on the rear. I don't have them
on my back wheel. He doesn't mention a problem with his previous
wheel, why would the chain have anything to do with it?

Life is Good!
Jeff