Unicyclist ( Gracie Sorbello ) Rides Across Country for the Fight Against Cancer

Old May 12th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Unicyclist ( Gracie Sorbello ) Rides Across Country for the Fight Against Cancer

Saw this article - thought everyone might enjoy it and encourage Gracie
along. Maybe we can try to join her for a day when she gets near our
cities. Oh, best wishes to every ones MOM - Hudson (330) 701-3922

_GRACIE_SORBELLO_WEBSITE_onewheelforlife.blogspot. com (\"http://onewheelforlife.blogspot.com/\")_

'NEWS ARTICLE LINK' (http://tinyurl.com/njjgd)

Reported by Nicole Ferguson (nferguson at wect.com) of WECT-6
Wilmington

MAY 7, 2006 -- After graduation, many college students get new jobs, go
to graduate school, and take exciting trips. However, few college
graduates embark on an adventure like the one Gracie Sorbello is
taking. Sorbello, a graduate from Duke University, is taking the
adventure of a lifetime.

"It's pretty cool going through all the small towns in America,
especially when I get on the Transamerica route," said Sorbello.

Sorbello is no stranger to the pedal.

"Well I didn't have a car at school so if I'm not unicycling, I'm
biking," said Sorbello.

Just 40 miles into her adventure, Sorbello's hopes and spirits are
high. She averages about 10 miles an hour. The 22-year-old will travel
nearly 4,000 miles this summer.

From Wrightsville Beach to Pacific Beach, Washington, she will ride her
unicycle across America. She will only stop when she feels like
stopping, all the while raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma
Society. This is a challenge close to her heart.

"My uncle has multiple myeloma, a type of blood cancer. I can't do
anything to fix the situation but this is something I can do to raise
awareness," said Sorbello.

She says sometimes she gets strange looks, but she assumes the looks
are about interest and not annoyance. She says making the trip on a
unicycle is more fun than a bike.

When her trip is over, her fun won't end. Sorbello says she may go
surfing for a couple of weeks. Whatever Sorbello ends up doing, it
probably won't match up to this adventure of a lifetime.

To learn more about her fundraising efforts and to monitor her
progress, you can visit Sorbello's website at
'onewheelforlife.blogspot.com' (http://onewheelforlife.blogspot.com/)

Reported by Nicole Ferguson (nferguson at wect.com) of WECT-6
Wilmington

hudson
hudson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11963

Old May 12th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

How cool to ride a coker across the U.S. Will you ride near Cleveland?

--
wadebrothers
wadebrothers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11968

Old May 12th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

If she ever gets near Spokane, Washington, im gonna try to ride with her
for a little =p

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more, so leave
me alone about it!~*~

'*!Gallery!*' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/jpkoz) ' and HERE!'
(http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)

Old May 12th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Very cool. She should stop by Wallis Design and pick up a saddle for
herself, looks like she's going to need it

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old May 12th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

are you the same Gracie Sorbello on the us olymopic team and
allamerican? im proud of women like you

--
kimaroo
kimaroo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12219

Old May 13th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

http://www.usfieldhockey.com/teams/women/sorbello.htm

Looks like she might be an olympic field hockey player. Maybe she plays
uni hockey, too.

Does any one here know her?

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Old May 13th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I just saw this story on our evening news. They mentioned she was doing
it barefoot. The pics in the news story linked above and a quote on her
site backs this up.

I prefer to ride barefoot

That may be a first, cross country while barefoot.

--
UniBrier

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old May 14th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

heard route was nc to nashville memphis kansas then transamerica bicycle
trail to washington beach. 70 to 80 days, 40 to 50 miles per day. if
like to give her some support, gracie's email is

has a woman ever done this before? YEAH !

Old May 14th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

http://www.kirotv.com/video/9200470/index.html

--
kimaroo
kimaroo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12219

Cross Country Unicyclist JJuggle Unicycling 24 August 19th 05 08:30 AM
Lance in Traffic Accident Jack Social Issues 11 October 9th 04 09:58 AM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Breast Cancer Risk For Fatty Masters & More B. Lafferty Racing 2 May 25th 04 01:00 AM
LA seen motorpacing in Austin Tom Paterson Racing 104 September 12th 03 01:22 PM