Awesome day with Cross Country Unicyclist, Gracie Sorbello

Old July 4th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Awesome day with Cross Country Unicyclist, Gracie Sorbello

The alarm awoke me at 4:30 a.m., much earlier than I normally get out of
the sack. I had to push the snooze one time, a normal routine, but I
popped straight out of bed. Today is the day that I am going to get to
ride with Gracie Sorbello, the amazing girl who is uni'ing across the
country. She has been in Colorado all week, and I missed a chance to
ride with her earlier in the week. I had hoped to ride to the highest
point in her epic journey together, Hoosier Pass. That didnt work, so
I opted for another Pass that she would have to ascend. This is one
that is still on my list of "to do's", so it had double the pleasure.
Our planned meeting spot, Granby, Co. is a 3 hour drive from Aspen. I
had figured to hook up with Gracie and her father around 8 a.m. at a
intersection where they would turn off to head up to Willow Creek Pass.
As I carried the last few items I needed into my truck, I was blessed
with loud birdsong. It sounded like a huge party was going on in the
tree's, the tree's were alive and well. I noticed a dim glow on the
horizon to the east, as I started my drive down the road towards
Granby.
During one of the brief spells of good cell phone service, I rang
Gracie. I was lucky to reach her, as she was on the move already. She
was already past the intersection, so I had to drive up the road a
little further until I would see them. I turned a corner and there she
was with her father, her bare feet pushing those pedals around the
36er. It really hit me then, the magnitude of her journey. Her father,
on a bicycle, only has rear paniers. Gracie, carries an appropriate
sized backpack.
My skin was covered with goosebumps, I was so excited and honored to
spend a day with the two of them. So, I got into my biking gear, and we
all headed off after a few pictures. The morning was perfect for road
uni'ing, actually for anything that involved being outside. The air was
fresh, and cool, and barely a breath of wind was blowing. The animals
were out, and the traffic was very light. Gracie and I spun at a very
fast cadence up the majestic Willow Creek valley. Fresh waterfalls
would greet us with their cascading water sounds at many drainage
crossings. We were in the shade for a good part of the first hour,
Gracie did mention that her feet were a little chilly. The three of us
talked the whole way up, which of course made the time fly by. I was
having a blast riding next to Gracie, she is solid and can really spin
those cranks. We were flying up the valley! A few stops to rest our
bums, and give her Dad a chance to catch up, made for a relaxed morning
of riding. The summit to Willow Creek pass was 22 miles from the
intersection, and we were only a few miles from it. Green covered
mountains began to come into view with every turn, as the valley got
narrower and narrower. The road began to steepen as our breathing
followed along. Steady conversation turned to limited conversation. I
love this stuff, working it!!! We stopped one last time to wait for her
father, before the last push up to the summit.
Gracie is a girl with determination and fortitude. She is young and
built for speed, her tan body matched her glowing smile beautifully.
Her attitude is a breath of fresh air for me, very positive and full of
gratitude. I could tell that her parents had done a masterful job of
raising her and her siblings.
The three of us sat there in awe of our surroundings, Colorado was
shining upon us today. We saddled back up and pushed to the summit.
I high fived Gracie as we approached the summit of Willow Creek Pass.
This pass is relatively moderate, low elevation and not very steep.
But, it does cross the Continental Divide, which for me is always HUGE.
Pictures were taken, stories were told, and off we went down into the
Atlantic drainage.
The cumulus clouds built to the point of letting go, so we stopped and
put on our rain gear for a few miles. The rain brought further
enjoyment to our wonderful morning of uni touring. Gracie's father
passed us a few times on the descent, but we would occasionally pass
him. The descent was allot like a roller coaster, both ups and downs.
The Never Summer Range off to the east came into view as we pedaled
down into North Park. That range is the farthest west boarder of Rocky
National Park. The Zirkel Wilderness also came into view, but farther
away to the west.
Our next destination was Rand, Co. a picturesque little ranching
community. It has a post office, a general store, and a restaraunt. Our
stop was rudely interrupted by swarms of hungry mosquitos. We applied
repellent, thank you Gracie, and surivived through our lunch. I knew
that this was my point to turn around, as I had ridin 25 miles with
them already. They had 22 more miles to go for their day. We hugged,
high fived, and said our good byes. Off Gracie went, barefoot on her
36er with her father providing support on his touring bicycle. I'll
never forget that moment, or for that matter, our 3 1/2 hours spent
together.
I headed back towards the Continental Divide, and Willow Creek Pass. It
was 10 miles or so to the summit. I could see that the rain was thicker
than before, so I mentally prepared for the weather. As I got deeper
into the forest, the rain began to get harder, so I stopped. One last
bit of food, put on my rain coat and off I went into the thunderstorm.
I pushed suprisingly hard up the pass, even with the rain drenching me.
Every little drainage began to flashflood and my shoes were filled with
water. The thunder seemed to be continous, with no breaks. Very few
cars passed me during this time. I spotted the mileage marker, 2 miles
to the summit. About one mile to the summit BANGis when it happened; my
hairs stood on end on my entire body. Then... white light and BOOOOM at
the same instant. The road shook, but I was able to stay on the GB4
36er. Common sense would have been to get off at that instant and find
shelter, but no, I had to make it to the summit. I also figured that if
that didnt hit me, none would, sh---t for brains, huh.
I pushed it hard as I passed over the top of the Continental Divide,
the rain was still coming down in sheets. I was warm, even though I was
at 9600' feet elevation. My rain coat worked great keeping my core dry,
but everything else was soaked. Then the rain turned to hail stones the
size of peas. I handled it for awhile, but decided I should find
shelter as the road began to ice up. It only lasted for about five
minutes, the hail that is, so I got back on. The rain finally stopped
about 2 miles from where I had started again. Remants of the
thunderstorm could still be heard behind me as I pedaled towards my
truck.
I took a couple of other breaks on the descent, for pictures mostly.
Colorado was spectacular that afternoon, and I was still alive. I gave
thanks to the weather gods, and the unicycle gods, every chance I could
that afternoon. Reaching my truck 7 hours later, with a smile on my
face, I was grateful being able to ride with Gracie and her father. My
time with her was not near long enough, but was memorable just the
same. I admire what she is doing, and her father as well. They are
quite a team together, out there on that lonely road.
Gracie, you are amazing and you rock. Keep spinnin and grinnin!!!

My short ride with Gracie stats:
50 miles
9.5 mph average speed
4200' vertical
4200' descending
7 hours total time out
Willow Creek Pass

|Filename: Gracie and Mike 1001.JPG |

aspenmike
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old July 4th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

pic #3 Gracie barefootin

|Filename: Gracie and Mike 3001.JPG |

Old July 4th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

nice write up, that's cool that you were able to meet up with them and
ride. I really like the pictures!

--
carsonpalooza

I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
That site is making me drool.
-Dave aka fcwegnm0b

harper wrote:
This is why Canada wants you so badly.

'ARGHHHHHHH' (http://WWW.nickjantz.2ya.com)
carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085

Old July 4th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

How did she get up on top of that sign?

It was a great write up, what excactly happened with the lightning?
Sounded pretty close. Thats awesome you got to ride with her, looks
like she is using some pretty short cranks.

Thanks for those pictures, that were really nice.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

Old July 4th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

That's the first thing I wondered too. How did she get up on that sign?
Maybe Aspenmike will reveal all later.
Great report, by the way.

--
Into the blue

"Now listen up, you primitive screwheads...See this?...This is my -BOOM-
stick!"
Into the blue's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12084

Old July 4th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Mike-

Thanks for another brilliant writeup of a spectacular opportunity. It's
nice you had a backup since your first choice fell through. What a
determined woman with a noble cause. What a bizzarre ride under
incredible conditions. It was as if everything was unfolding in a way
to burn this into your memory forever. You have honored each other by
riding together.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

Old July 4th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

After all that, the thing I'm most wondering about is if she still has
the pins in the pedals.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Dirty Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old July 4th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Those bare feet are killing me. That girl rocks. And so do you, Mike.
I'm in awe.

John Long

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old July 4th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

that is very cool you are mentioned in this artilce aren't you

http://onewheelforlife.blogspot.com/

she likes to hang/climb on all the signs doesn't she

--
zachjowi
zachjowi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12534

Old July 4th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

As always, I am in awe of the rides you do. A casual 50 miles over a
mountain pass. And then after breakfast...

I've not heard of this formidable lady before. What's with the bare
foot thing? What happens in a UPD?

--
Mikefule

"No one likes circus skills, juggling is dire, and clowns are on
registers at most police stations."
(The late and sadly-missed Linda Smith)