Anti-Doping: Local action...?

Old July 26th 07, 09:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Default Anti-Doping: Local action...?

On Jul 26, 5:36 pm, gplama gplama.2ub...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Bleve Wrote:

What's your beef, bro'? Do you think some clubbies are doping?

Maybe they are, maybe they aint... I'm not and can still make 'em hurt
either way.. on a good day

The seed for the thought/post/ramble was brought about when thinking
about the example these Tools De France riders are setting for the up
and comers to the sport (of all ages).

The example they're showing at the moment is that they're getting
caught, this would suggest that the controls are actually working.
Especially if you then read what riders like Boonen are saying about
it. Boonen's a far greater role model than Rasmussen or Vino, as is a
rider like Stuart O'Grady, I'd contend. If the current leader of the
tour gets turfed out for breaking the rules, that's about as high a
profile example of justice being done as I can think of in a cycling
context.

Old July 26th 07, 09:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_189_]

Bleve Wrote:

The example they're showing at the moment is that they're getting
caught, this would suggest that the controls are actually working.
Especially if you then read what riders like Boonen are saying about
it. Boonen's a far greater role model than Rasmussen or Vino, as is a
rider like Stuart O'Grady, I'd contend. If the current leader of the
tour gets turfed out for breaking the rules, that's about as high a
profile example of justice being done as I can think of in a cycling
context.

Damn your glass-is-half-full way of thinking! You've got a good
point though.

--
gplama

Old July 26th 07, 10:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:36:39 +1000
gplama wrote:

Back in the day we got the strap (ok, it was all too PC by the time I
hit school, but dad had one at home!) - just the idea the strap existed
was enough to keep us in line. I want there to be a doping strap.

Wasn't enough at my school. To be caned was a sign of serious
coolness.

Zebee
Old July 26th 07, 11:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Donga wrote:

Listening to Radio National this morning, there was a remark that they
hoped the cycling community put as much energy into these problems as
we put into hassling the ABC to cover cycling.

Oh, do they cover the TdF?

If so, does the person covering it actually know what a bicycle is?

shades of other programs

Old July 26th 07, 01:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle
roshea[_54_]

gplama wrote:

Back in the day we got the strap (ok, it was all too PC by the time

hit school, but dad had one at home!) - just the idea the strap

existed
was enough to keep us in line. I want there to be a doping strap.

Wasn't enough at my school. To be caned was a sign of serious
coolness.

ZebeeAh - now I understand why you ride a bent!

--
roshea

Old July 26th 07, 01:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

"gplama" wrote in message

cfsmtb Wrote:
A classic telly moment simultaneously murdered by ****e reception and
the need for a 'word from a our sponsors'.

SNIFF and STIFF!?!?

I'm fairly sure that's lifted straight from Tripod

Old July 26th 07, 01:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:19:50 +1000
roshea wrote:

Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
Wasn't enough at my school. To be caned was a sign of serious
coolness.

ZebeeAh - now I understand why you ride a bent!

I got my masochistic leanings out of the way early. Wedgie riders are
obviously the ones who didn't get caned!

Zebee
Old July 26th 07, 05:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Resound wrote:

I'm fairly sure that's lifted straight from Tripod

On the net about 18 months ago.
Old July 27th 07, 03:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Terryc wrote:
Donga wrote:

Listening to Radio National this morning, there was a remark that
they hoped the cycling community put as much energy into these
problems as we put into hassling the ABC to cover cycling.

Oh, do they cover the TdF?

If so, does the person covering it actually know what a bicycle is?

shades of other programs

Why don't you offer your expert services Terry? Then we could slag you off.
:-)

Theo
(still living in the world of screw-on 6-speed clusters but appreciating the
Tour cover. You should have seen the coverage of the '81 Tour {Delgado, I
think} to truly appreciate the coverage we have now)

Old July 27th 07, 06:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Theo Bekkers wrote:
Terryc wrote:

Why don't you offer your expert services Terry? Then we could slag you off.

So, it isn't that good really that you want to tell us about it.

I simply asked it they knew WTF they were talking about. Far too often,
the "expert" has all the knowledge of having read a book on the subject
5 minutes before the subject. You really spend your time working out
what angle they are really trying to push.

Shades of having spent over 30 years trying to promote bicycling and
having to deal with so call "experts". Hint, getting on the radio or TV
can ge good for one's career or business. Media have lists of whom to
contact for what/which opinion.

P.S my expertise does not include racing, but I cam ephasise very
strongly with all those poor *******s trying to drag their asses over
those hills.. okay, mountains.

Theo
(still living in the world of screw-on 6-speed clusters

Why would you change? Then you have to get new deraileirs, levers,
****e, even a new frame because the dropout has changed.

I never went higher than 6 speed because the axles became too weak.

It is not the technology, it is what you do with it that counts.

but appreciating the
Tour cover. You should have seen the coverage of the '81 Tour {Delgado, I
think} to truly appreciate the coverage we have now)

Technology was different. It would be like comparing the cricket
coverage now to the age of coconut shells.