Coroner condemns Hell Ride

Old July 26th 07, 04:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dorfus Dippintush

Default Coroner condemns Hell Ride

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...339132250.html

State Coroner Graeme Johnstone has found the death of an elderly man
struck down by a cyclist on Melbourne's notorious Hell Ride was
"unnecessary and preventable".

Mr Johnstone said the ride, which speeds along Beach Road through
bayside suburbs, had "degenerated into a disorganised race."

There was no "effective leadership" to oversee the safety of riders and
pedestrians, he said.

Cyclist's behaviour during the ride was indicative of a "high risk
event" that had no place on suburban streets. The large numbers of bikes
travelling at speed suggested authorities needed to take control of the
event, he said.

Unless riders changed their behaviour and stopped running red lights, it
was "only a matter of time" before a "catastrophic event" between a car
and a group of cyclists occurred, Mr Johnstone said.

In delivering his findings, Mr Johnstone quoted "troubling" statistics
which showed there were 220 deaths from cycling since 2000.

'Pack mentality'

The Coronial inquest was prompted by the death of James Gould, 77 who
died after he was struck by cyclist William Raisin-Shaw as he tried to
cross a pedestrian crossing at Beach Road, Mentone, in August last year.

Mr Raisin-Shaw, 31, of St Kilda, was one of up to 200 cyclists taking
part in the Hell Ride - an informal, weekly 75-kilometre high-speed ride
through Melbourne's bayside suburbs.

He has been charged with failing to stop at a red light, a charge that
carries a maximum fine of $215, and is due to appear in the Melbourne
Magistrates' Court next month.

Mr Raisin-Shaw declined to give evidence at the inquest but his lawyer
Michael Sharpley told the court last May that his client found himself
"between a rock and a hard place" with riders behind him yelling at him
to continue through the crossing, despite the fact the light had already
turned red.

"His view was that to brake heavily, in circumstances where those behind
had clearly signalled their intentions, would inevitably cause an
accident - potentially a serious one, involving a number of cyclists,"
Mr Sharpley said in his submission.

During the inquest Mr Johnstone condemned the ride, saying a dangerous
"pack mentality" existed among cyclists.

Accident 'extremely rare'

President of Cycling Sport Victoria, Klaus Mueller, said it would be a
"double tragedy" if Beach Road did not become the world's safest road
for cyclists and pedestrians after Mr Gould's death.

"Behaviour even within the Hell Ride has improved dramatically over
recent years and I think it has improved further with this tragic
incident," he told reporters outside court.

But Mr Mueller said it was up to cyclists to take individual
responsibility for their own and others' safety when riding in packs.

"Every rider out there must recognise that they have got to comply with
the rules. They are individually responsible for making sure that they
don't run red lights or disobey the rules. They can't abrogate that
responsibility to the larger group," Mr Mueller said.

He said it was extremely rare for a cyclist to kill a pedestrian and
hoped Mr Gould's death would remain an isolated incident.

"In statistical terms, it's an extremely rare event for a cyclist to
kill or hurt another road user. It's the cyclists themselves who are far
and away the most vulnerable when they break the road rules."

Julia Medew
Old July 26th 07, 08:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Dorfus Dippintush wrote:

He has been charged with failing to stop at a red light, a charge that
carries a maximum fine of $215, and is due to appear in the Melbourne
Magistrates' Court next month.

Is that all?
Old July 26th 07, 09:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dorfus Dippintush

Terryc wrote:
Dorfus Dippintush wrote:

He has been charged with failing to stop at a red light, a charge that
carries a maximum fine of $215, and is due to appear in the Melbourne
Magistrates' Court next month.

Is that all?

Not much different to what you get when you run over a cyclist these days.
Old July 26th 07, 09:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
MikeyOz[_131_]

Dorfus Dippintush Wrote:
Terryc wrote:
Dorfus Dippintush wrote:

He has been charged with failing to stop at a red light, a charge

that
carries a maximum fine of $215, and is due to appear in the

Melbourne
Magistrates' Court next month.

Is that all?

Not much different to what you get when you run over a cyclist these
days.

WHen I was taken out and my bike destroyed, the female p plate driver
got a $150 fine and lost 3 dermit points. No insurance, nothing what
so ever.

It's still a disgrace though, we thank the government for that, for
having no law in place to put the scumbag behind bars.

--
MikeyOz

Old July 26th 07, 11:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

Dorfus Dippintush wrote:

[...]

The hypocrisy of the law is breathtaking sometimes.

The law may very well complain about the mob mentality
of cyclists when they get together in a large buch,
and whinge about a pedestrian being killed.

But what of the road toll? thousands get killed each year in Oz,
and before worrying too much about cyclists, why not focus on the mob
mentality
of car, truck and bus drivers?

I am well aware of the kind of thing that happens when you get 50
cyclists together.
Her in the ACT I comperted for 6 years and often did summer morning
criteriums
after which there would be a group ride, and some days there would be 60
ppl.
But our behaviour on main roads was exemplary, with pacemakers at the
front
going steady and observing lights. But once just out of town, the route
went down a country road,
Majura Lane, and often it turned to being a race for those with itchy
legs.
But there were no lights or pedestrians to worry about.
One morning, after I went off ahead of those slower in the bunch a mob
of sheep entered the road space,
and several ppl ploughed into them, one breaking an arm. No sheep were
killed or seriously hurt.

Usually those taking part in this mellee ride after the morning's crits
waited at the Lane end where
it joined back into the busy road network, and the ride proceeded
therafter for another 50k with leaders
taking it steady and waiting for the slow coaches, and stopping for
those who punctured, and obeying the lights.

There has always been an antagonistic attitude against cyclists by SOME
motorists
ever since the car replaced the bicycle which was king between about
1890 and 1920.

Here they put in cycle lanes on the main roads here during the last 10
years and
still there are letter writers to newspapers complaining about the
dimunition of car driver's rights.
Many motorists want cyclists banned off roads altogether.
Never do you hear car drivers spelling it out to their bretheren about
the duty of care
they have to all others. Rights cannot be assumed without the duty of
care.

If I had a dollar for each time a motorist has threatened my life I'd be
rich.
Its two sided though, because what cyclists do which may cause an
accident
and often because of motorist action to avoid hitting a cyclist.
No wonder some car drivers get mad at cyclists!

I have watched in dismay when a cyclist has disobeyed a traffic signal
to edge across a road against the red light without checking the light's
sequences
with turning traffic, and thus putting risk to himself and the motorist
who must avoid him,
or stop suddenly and risk getting rear ended.

Here in the ACT, with population of 330,000, we have an extensive
network of "recreation paths" which are for walkers, riders et all,
and I can cycle way across town while spending only 10% of the 80km
journey
on a public road. Every kilometre I have to deal with someone walking a
dog,
or a toddler, or a woman pushing a pram, walkers, but its all better
than dealing with cars.
Iv'e nearly rung the ring out of my bell alerting people ahead
cluttering my progress. They welcome that courtesy, as it avoids the
argy bargy.

Perhaps some serious roadway changes could be made to better accomodate
the cyclist
rather than penalizing all of them for the inevitable accidents when
many
of them gather to ride together.

I own and drive a car, but I'd like to see the budget allowances for
cyclist increase rather than fall. Good for greenhouse too. With better
bike paths, more of the fickle public might
actually get off their backsides and ride.

Patrick Turner.
Old July 27th 07, 01:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Simon[_2_]

On Jul 26, 11:47 pm, rooman rooman.2ub...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
MoreBikesPlease Wrote: Dorfus Dippintush wrote in
:

In delivering his findings, Mr Johnstone quoted "troubling"

statistics
which showed there were 220 deaths from cycling since 2000.

Um, I think this "blame the victim" interpretation is troubling. Surely
the vast majority of these cyclist deaths are "from" motoring rather
than
cycling.

We are reading the press view, and a few quotes (misquotes?)...

I have access to an official copy from the Coroner, it is in the mail
at this time...will digest and report on 'WoJ' (http://www.woj.com.au)
when to hand...meantime more of the usual
misquote/misinterpret/redherrring scullduggery by the snailmedya...

--
rooman

Speaking of media portrayals, the ACT gove has been running a series
of big yellow ads in newspapers about road safety issues, one issue
per ad. Issues such as "speeding", "tailgating" and "cyclists". Huh, I
am an issue like speeding? I'm still waiting for the ad that's about
"cars" or "drivers". I think the gov had good intentions but it just
makes cyclists look like illegitimate road users.

Could maybe dig up the series if WoJ is interested...

Old July 27th 07, 03:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_337_]

Simon Wrote:

Speaking of media portrayals, the ACT gove has been running a series
of big yellow ads in newspapers about road safety issues, one issue
per ad. Issues such as "speeding", "tailgating" and "cyclists". Huh, I
am an issue like speeding? I'm still waiting for the ad that's about
"cars" or "drivers". I think the gov had good intentions but it just
makes cyclists look like illegitimate road users.

Could maybe dig up the series if WoJ is interested...

I've seem the green lane TV ads on You Tube, which were a reasonable
effort, but if you can either get a copy or scan these other ad's it
would be an interesting exercise to compare what the ACT govmint are
attempting to promote. Regarding the yellow newspaper ads, were these
all TAM's work or were they endorsed by Pedal Power, like the TV ads?

--
cfsmtb

Old July 27th 07, 04:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Simon[_2_]

On Jul 27, 12:34 pm, cfsmtb cfsmtb.2uc...@no-
Simon Wrote:

Speaking of media portrayals, the ACT gove has been running a series
of big yellow ads in newspapers about road safety issues, one issue
per ad. Issues such as "speeding", "tailgating" and "cyclists". Huh, I
am an issue like speeding? I'm still waiting for the ad that's about
"cars" or "drivers". I think the gov had good intentions but it just
makes cyclists look like illegitimate road users.

Could maybe dig up the series if WoJ is interested...

I've seem the green lane TV ads on You Tube, which were a reasonable
effort, but if you can either get a copy or scan these other ad's it
would be an interesting exercise to compare what the ACT govmint are
attempting to promote. Regarding the yellow newspaper ads, were these
all TAM's work or were they endorsed by Pedal Power, like the TV ads?

--
cfsmtb

I'll have a rummage through the waste paper when I get home tonight. I
think they were TAMs, but I do remember a BUG report from John Warren
mentioning something about it a few months ago before they were
released. I don't think there's a BUG page in Canberra so I can't
check. If I remember correctly, the issues John had were more to do
with the content being directed more towards driver behaviour and
emphasising that cyclists are legit road users. I'm not sure if they
were discussed in the context of the series of ads though, which is
the real "issue".