Riding two abreast

Old August 8th 07, 11:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
barry taylor

Default Riding two abreast

quote from the latest edition of 'Australian RoadRIDER:

"If I was to complain about something it would be pushbikes being ridden
side-by-side. It's very hard to slow a 68-tonne truck from 100km/h to
30km/h, but they have every right to be there as well.
I guess a new term for Volvo driver could be...lifetimewhingers...
Peter Pickrell etc
They don't have a right to be there, you know, Peter. Riding pushbikes
side-by-side is actually illegal.....The Bear"

is the motor cycling guru correct ?

in which state - if any - is this true ?

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*) . . . bjbear still trying to reach 30km/h over 30 km

Old August 8th 07, 12:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 8 Aug 2007 19:50:46 +0930
barry taylor wrote:
quote from the latest edition of 'Australian RoadRIDER:

"If I was to complain about something it would be pushbikes being ridden
side-by-side. It's very hard to slow a 68-tonne truck from 100km/h to
30km/h, but they have every right to be there as well.
I guess a new term for Volvo driver could be...lifetimewhingers...
Peter Pickrell etc
They don't have a right to be there, you know, Peter. Riding pushbikes
side-by-side is actually illegal.....The Bear"

is the motor cycling guru correct ?

in which state - if any - is this true ?

He's not correct when it comes to NSW. I think he might be in the NT.

Zebee
Old August 8th 07, 01:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Fractal

barry taylor wrote:
quote from the latest edition of 'Australian RoadRIDER:

"If I was to complain about something it would be pushbikes being
ridden
side-by-side. It's very hard to slow a 68-tonne truck from 100km/h to
30km/h, but they have every right to be there as well.
I guess a new term for Volvo driver could be...lifetimewhingers...
Peter Pickrell etc
They don't have a right to be there, you know, Peter. Riding
pushbikes
side-by-side is actually illegal.....The Bear"

is the motor cycling guru correct ?

in which state - if any - is this true ?

He's not correct when it comes to NSW. I think he might be in the NT.

Zebee

ARR apply in all states with only minor mods so would think NT would be the
same as NSW, Vic etc. Road trains in my experience (rode from Adelaide to
Darwin once) generally pass a cyclists safely enough and will often cross
the centreline if nothing coming, so no problems if two abreast. But if
something is coming the other way even single file is dangerous, so best
option is to get off the road if you have the chance. Often difficult if
there is a rough edge or soft shoulder, as is typical on NT roads. The
drivers will give you a gentle toot when coming up behind and passing looks
ok but if the toot becomes loud and continuous its time to get out of the
way. Just hope the Army isn't coming the other way, as happened to us at
one stage. Had a very close shave with a road train catching us out coming
up behind just as we were over a crest and marvelling at a column of tanks
approaching. Trucks passing on inside bends can also be dangerous, as is the
second road train drafting the leader.

fb

Old August 8th 07, 02:06 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

barry taylor wrote:

quote from the latest edition of 'Australian RoadRIDER:

"If I was to complain about something it would be
pushbikes being ridden
side-by-side. It's very hard to slow a 68-tonne truck from
100km/h to 30km/h, but they have every right to be there as
well.
I guess a new term for Volvo driver could
be...lifetimewhingers...
Peter Pickrell etc
They don't have a right to be there, you know, Peter.
Riding pushbikes
side-by-side is actually illegal.....The Bear"

is the motor cycling guru correct ?

in which state - if any - is this true ?

You're allowed to ride beside one other rider anywhere in
Australia. This is enshrined in rule 151 of the Australian
Road Rules:

"151 Riding a motor bike or bicycle alongside more than
1 other rider

(1) The rider of a motor bike or bicycle must not ride on a road
that is not a multi-lane road alongside more than 1 other
rider, unless subrule (3) applies to the rider.

Offence provision.

Note Bicycle, motor bike and multi-lane road are defined in the
dictionary, and rider is defined in rule 17.

(2) The rider of a motor bike or bicycle must not ride in a
marked lane alongside more than 1 other rider in the marked
lane, unless subrule (3) applies to the rider.

Offence provision.

Note Marked lane is defined in the dictionary.

(3) The rider of a motor bike or bicycle may ride alongside more
than 1 other rider if the rider is:
(a) overtaking the other riders; or
(b) permitted to do so under another law of this jurisdiction.

Note Overtake is defined in the dictionary."

John
Old August 8th 07, 02:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

I wrote:

You're allowed to ride beside one other rider anywhere in
Australia. This is enshrined in rule 151 of the Australian
Road Rules:

For completelness, there's more to rule 151:

"(4) If the rider of a motor bike or bicycle is riding on a road
that is not a multi-lane road alongside another rider, or in a
marked lane alongside another rider in the marked lane, the
rider must ride not over 1.5 metres from the other rider.

Offence provision.

(5) In this rule:

road does not include a road-related area, but includes a
bicycle path, shared path and any shoulder of the road.

Note Bicycle path is defined in rule 239, road-related area is
defined in rule 13, shared path is defined in rule 242, and
shoulder is defined in rule 12."

John

Old August 9th 07, 02:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

John Henderson wrote:

You're allowed to ride beside one other rider anywhere in
Australia. This is enshrined in rule 151 of the Australian
Road Rules:

And I believe that a third rider can legally overtake you.
Old August 10th 07, 03:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

Terryc wrote:
John Henderson wrote:

You're allowed to ride beside one other rider anywhere in
Australia. This is enshrined in rule 151 of the Australian
Road Rules:

And I believe that a third rider can legally overtake you.

As I understand it, a bunch riding two abreast can overtake another
bunch riding two abreast (i.e., four riders across the lane). can anyone
elaborate or correct?

--
Bean
Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old August 10th 07, 03:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Bean Long wrote:
Terryc wrote:

And I believe that a third rider can legally overtake you.

As I understand it, a bunch riding two abreast can overtake another
bunch riding two abreast (i.e., four riders across the lane). can
anyone elaborate or correct?

I don't think so. I believe the rule specifically states that _a rider_ may
overtake two riders riding side by side. Not _a pair of riders_ or _a bunch
of riders_. The overtaking bunch would need to go single file. If there are
two lanes however....

Theo

Old August 10th 07, 06:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_89_]

Bean Long Wrote:
Terryc wrote:
John Henderson wrote:

You're allowed to ride beside one other rider anywhere in
Australia. This is enshrined in rule 151 of the Australian
Road Rules:

And I believe that a third rider can legally overtake you.

As I understand it, a bunch riding two abreast can overtake another
bunch riding two abreast (i.e., four riders across the lane). can
anyone
elaborate or correct?

No. You can't have four abreast in a lane at any time. You can have a
file of riders overtaking riders riding two abreast, creating three
abreast for the duration of the overtake, in the same lane.

If however it's a multi-lane road one group of riders is legally
entitled to use the offside lane to overtake another group of riders
riding two abreast. And riders are allowed to overtake those riders,
potentially creating for the duration six abreast across two lanes. It
could well be inconsiderate, it may well even be stupid, but it is legal
as traffic rule 151 applies to each lane of a road and traffic rule 141
allows cyclists to overtake on the left and the right (from memory).

--
EuanB

Old August 10th 07, 07:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Simon[_2_]

On Aug 10, 3:39 pm, EuanB EuanB.2v3...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Bean Long Wrote:

Terryc wrote:
John Henderson wrote:

[...]

EuanB- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm, interesting (steepling fingers). Can anyone clarify the rules
for an approved club race run on open roads? Is it the same, ie two
abreast except when overtaking?