1st aid advice needed please

Old September 13th 03, 02:22 AM
Sofa

Default 1st aid advice needed please

I need some advice. I'm trying to get the wound on my knee healed
(remember the 20MPH Coker accident that happened about 2 months ago?) I
keep tearing open the wound, last night I smashed it dead on into the
corner of my computer desk which ripped open the blood blister that I
got from falling off the giraffe Darren lent me...

that one was kinda funny, my pads were in the trunk of the car at Mrs
Sofa's work, I went for a ride around the block on the giraffe...no
pads, so I'll go slow...I was accustommed to the ride, and was
non-chalantly looking over to my right. I must've hit a bump, so I fell
off to he front.

Subconsciensly (sp?!?) I was positioned to fall off a normal uni going
that slow. But I kept falling, and land on my knee (no harm other than
the blood blister ontop of my Coker scar, which had previously healed.

Anyways, the Roach pads keep peeling off the bandaids and reopening the
wound (I keep forgetting to buy those great big bandaids, but I think
I'll remember now.

I won't wear my pads today, I say, to allow the wound to heal. Long
story short, that wound is now full of dirt and there is a great big
flap of skin.

I've tried to clean it out with peroxide, but I don't know if I should
tear off that flap. (I don't want to because it's gonna hurt...it's a
thick flap) I 'think' I should, but that is going to leave quite a
large open spot. Without peeling it off though, I can't get in to clean
it as good as I should.

Any advice? Do I peel it off leaving a BIG spot of raw flesh on my
knee, or do I try to get underneath it (which so far I haven't been able
to do completely)

I know how you people are with wounds, so I've attached a photo.
Thinking of Erin, I got some quad in the shot too.

The pic doesn't look so bad, but I've gotten a lot of dings and not
requested advice about them.

| Attachment filename: wound.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/161966|

Sofa - Pedals Schmedals

'You're perfect Sofa!' - Scott (via 'Michael Moore'
(http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html) parser )
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old September 13th 03, 02:25 AM
Sofa

I also know how you guys always point out other things in photos than
the main focus (I always enjoy those replies)
so...

Yes, that is a Kokanee bottle, a gateway laptop, a big calculator, and a
box of Wal-Mart kitty litter used as a garbage can

Old September 13th 03, 03:06 AM
JonM

First, clean it out. Use water to get all the dirt and grit out.

Then, sterilize with peroxide/alcohol. This will hurt. Lots.

You can remove the skin, or not. It's up to you. As long as it's clean
and sterile, it should be fine.

Then cover the wound with a sterile dressing. A large bandaid, or
sterile gauze and tape.

To keep things from moving around/falling off, use an Ace bandage. Wrap
the whole joint. It'll look goofy, but at least it'll heal and not get
infected.

Change the dressing once or twice a day.

-Jon

--
JonM - My other wheel is in my mouse...
JonM's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1759

Old September 13th 03, 03:19 AM
Ben Plotkin-Swing

I got a similar cut on my knee on one of the early NAUCC rides, and the
fact that it was right where my pads chaffed me a little anyway made it
very painful. I rode with the knee pads of my roaches folded down for
the rest of that ride, and somehow avoided the additional injury that
leaving my knee uncovered seemed to be begging for.

Band-aids came unstuck within minutes, because of the sweat and the pads
rubbing. The only way I could get anything to stick was to buy a roll of
sports tape and wrapping my entire knee in it. You also get the bonus of
getting a lot of sympathy, cause it makes it look like a much worse
injury than it is. This plan worked flawlessly for a few days, until
someone walked off with my roll of sports tape at the trials
competition. Than I had to buy some more. Seriously though, it did
prevent further irritation of the cut while I was wearing the pads.

Ben

(edit) looks like someone beat me to the wrapping suggestion. Oh well.

--
Ben Plotkin-Swing

www.benps.com

"Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible" -Fortune
cookie.
Ben Plotkin-Swing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/378

Old September 13th 03, 04:33 AM
MUNIYETI

You might try Band-Aid Liquid ....
http://www.band-aid.com/liquid_bandage.shtml ...........

--
MUNIYETI
MUNIYETI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4183

Old September 13th 03, 04:50 AM
iunicycle

MUNIYETI wrote:
*You might try Band-Aid Liquid ....
http://www.band-aid.com/liquid_bandage.shtml ........... *

Probably not a good idea for an open wound like that. Another problem I
ran into with these liquid band-aids is that you can't easily remove
them. The one I used suggested finger nail polish remover: acetone!

The solvent in these things is ACETONE! Yuck, I'll stick to 70% IPA.

I'll get you some info on a great bandage I used. Next note.

--
iunicycle - Old back, new cricks
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869

Old September 13th 03, 05:04 AM
iunicycle

Okay the best I found for a smaller, but similar wound was a
combination:

Layer 1: Spenco 2nd Skin Moist Burn Pads. These pads are 80% water and
are about 1/16-1/8" thick. They will provide some shock absorption to
chafing by your pads, sleeping, etc.
http://www.spenco.com/advanced.html

Layer 2: 3M Brand Nexcare First Aid "Tegaderm" Transparent Dressing.
This is a completely transparent dressing with adhesive around the
edges. This stuff sticks to anything, even wet skin!
http://www.dressings.org/Dressings/tegaderm.html
http://tinyurl.com/n7g5

Togeather they seemed to work pretty well until I used some alcohol
swabs I seemed to be alergic to.

The Tegaderm may work well without the other layer.

But clean the wound out, trim, don't rip, off any skin flaps with steril
tools.

After paying a fortune for these products, I have decided I need to wear
my pads, which cost far less.

Old September 13th 03, 05:38 AM
daino149

iunicycle wrote:
*

Probably not a good idea for an open wound like that. Another problem
I ran into with these liquid band-aids is that you can't easily remove
them. The one I used suggested finger nail polish remover: acetone!

The solvent in these things is ACETONE! Yuck, I'll stick to 70% IPA.

I'll get you some info on a great bandage I used. Next note. *

I used the liquid band-aids before. I think it did a great job of
keeping of my wound clean and safe. Removing it was not too big a
problem, as I just let it wear out after the wound healed. The
suggested method for removal was to apply more to dissolve the first
layer and wipe the whole thing off.

BTW: the package says, "may sting" when applying. I guarantee it will
burn to high hell when you put it on. But it's worth it.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

Old September 13th 03, 07:34 AM
tomblackwood

Sofa wrote:
*IAny advice? Do I peel it off leaving a BIG spot of raw flesh on my
knee, or do I try to get underneath it (which so far I haven't been
able to do completely)*

1) Peel it off
2) Coat entire surface with plaster of paris both sides
3) Make sure Erin gets that quad shot for the database

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

Old September 13th 03, 05:36 PM
unibabyguy

Take a clean nailclipper and clip it off. Or just pull it off with your
teeth.

--
unibabyguy - Hunter-riding Municyclist
unibabyguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/683