Help on choosing new bike

Old May 25th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Shark

Default Help on choosing new bike

There are so many different bicycle options these days that I'm
completely lost.

But before I decide on specific models I need to figure out what type
of bike I need. I've cycled when I was in my youth on a road bike
(mostly on dirt trails!) and recently with a Full MTB (mostly on
asphalt!!). I know, I made poor choices but I misjudged what kind of
riding I was going to do. This time around I know exactly how I'm
going to use it so hopefully I'll be better equiped.

I ride mostly to keep fit and because I enjoy it a lot. And by keeping
fit it doesn't have anything to do with loosing weight, just a good
heart rate. I train daily on city trails (flat asphalt) and there is a
weekend mountain climb (asphalt) that I really like. It's about 3km
long with an average climb rate of 8%. I'm addicted to mountain climbs
and wish I could do it more often. There are some monthly group day
trips I participate which can stretch to 100Km but always on asphalt
and relaxed pace.

With all that in mind I was considering a hardtail MTB but I don't
know if I really need the front suspension (and additional weight).
What kind of configuration do you guys think is best suited for me? I
hear a lot of talk about "frame geometry", how important is that for
me and how do I make the right choice? If you can suggest some models
that would be sweet. Money is not an issue but I'm no pro so high-end
models are out.

tks!
Old May 26th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 25, 9:37*am, Shark wrote:
[...]

Go to a local shop that emphasizes bike fit, get that done first, on a
fit cycle, not just some clone asking you how tall you are. Next, talk
to a knowledgeable person about options, perhaps including starting
with a frame of the right dimensions and then building the bike to
suit you, not trying to make you suit a bikeouttaabox. If the shop
doesn't do this, perhaps they will convert an existing bike to better
suit you. I'm thinking maybe an all-rounder type bike, 'cyclocross'
type, with room for bigger tires if necessary, long reach or canti
brakes, perhaps a flatbar setup rather than drop bars. If you go to a
shop that just wants to get you to ride around the block and then
present your credit card, go elsewgere.

Help on choosing new bike Shark General 17 May 28th 08 11:17 PM
Choosing a new bike ... iPleb UK 18 August 16th 07 06:30 PM
Choosing a bike... Eric C.[_2_] Techniques 2 June 10th 07 08:57 AM
Help choosing correct bike Mike UK 12 January 16th 07 11:43 PM
Need Help Choosing Hybrid Bike [email protected] General 4 August 8th 06 11:46 AM