82-Year-Old Rides Bike Across Country

Old June 16th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron

Default 82-Year-Old Rides Bike Across Country

Video at link-

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...139899&catid=3

ST. AUGUSTINE, FL -- For the past four months, one man has been on two
wheels biking alone across the country.

He's gone through seven states, racking up more than 3,000 miles on his way
to St. Augustine. What makes a trip of this magnitude more special is the
man's age.

Kenneth Payton is 82-years-old.

Payton started his trip in Sacramento, California back on March 20, 2009. He
went through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama until his
journey ended in St. Augustine, Florida.

"Oh, it feels like I accomplished something," said Payton. "I'm glad it is
over, it was a hard trip."

Along the way, Payton kept his eyes looking forward to his next stop even
though his heart was focused on who he left behind.

His wife of 56 years is battling Alzheimer's Disease back in California.

"I have to take care of her, so I wanted to kind of have a last fling to
fulfill one of my ambitions of driving across the country on a bicycle."

Payton dedicated the trip to his wife and even named his bike Delores, in
her honor.

It was a 3,000 mile journey that Payton said re-energized his spirits and
gave him the strength to be strong for his wife when he gets home.

Payton plans on resting up in St. Augustine for a couple of days then he
plans on catching a bus or train back to Sacramento, California to look
after his sick wife.

Payton documented every mile of his cross country trip. CLICK HERE to see
Payton's pictures and read his journal entries.

Old June 16th 09, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On Jun 15, 11:31*pm, "Ron" wrote:
Video at link-

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...spx?storyid=13....

[...]

In case that "Click hear" didn't work for you, Kenneth posted his
journal and photos on CrazyGuyOnaBike: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/sw2009

It's certainly something to look forward to.
Old June 16th 09, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On Jun 16, 1:31*am, wrote:
Brian Huntley wrote:
[...]

I admire his determination and stamina. *I found driving a car over
those long flat and hot highways bathed in headwinds, something I have
always avoided when bicycling, so when I and friends go for a ride in
the Sierra Nevada, we drive those 100+ miles across the great central
valley of California to reach mountain air.

From his journal, I found mostly arduous riding and apparently no
scenic areas about which to report. *I think it is "certainly
something to NOT look forward to" if it is what he wrote and shows in
the video with hundreds of cars per minute sweeping by on the multi
lane highway.

Jobst Brandt- Hide quoted text -

Oh, by the time I'm his age there'll be fewer cars, I expect, and more
big bike-sucking buses instead.
Old June 18th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Jun 16, 12:31*am, wrote:
Brian Huntley wrote:
[...]

From his journal, I found mostly arduous riding and apparently no
scenic areas about which to report. *I think it is "certainly
something to NOT look forward to" if it is what he wrote and shows in
the video with hundreds of cars per minute sweeping by on the multi
lane highway.

Jobst Brandt- Hide quoted text -

I admire your determinatioin and stamina, Jobst, in looking for
mountains to climb and climbing them, time and time again.
Old June 18th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:
Brian Huntley wrote:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/sw2009

It's certainly something to look forward to.

I admire his determination and stamina. I found driving a car over
those long flat and hot highways bathed in headwinds, something I have
always avoided when bicycling, so when I and friends go for a ride in
the Sierra Nevada, we drive those 100+ miles across the great central
valley of California to reach mountain air.

From his journal, I found mostly arduous riding and apparently no
scenic areas about which to report. I think it is "certainly
something to NOT look forward to" if it is what he wrote and shows in
the video with hundreds of cars per minute sweeping by on the multi
lane highway.

I couldn't agree more. It sounded and looked like completely grim
business. Not my idea of a last hurrah. Like so many cycling journals,
it reads like a paean to masochism -- lonely, too.