Near Miss

Old July 18th 04, 02:28 PM
aeek

Default Near Miss

Bow Wrote:

Strangely enough, we can turn right from the left lane of a
roundabout,
which is legalalizing suicide if you ask me!

but cars exitting the roundabout about don't have to give way to us.

--
aeek
Old July 18th 04, 07:28 PM
DRS

"Peter Signorini" wrote in message

"DRS" wrote in message
"hippy" wrote in message

[...]

I hit the passenger door of a car last night (actually the night
before - I wrote this yesterday) coming to some lights.
As I passed on his left (legal.. I hope ) he turned
towards a slip lane when I was beside him. He did indicate,
but it was only AS he turned so I could only do my best to
swerve around.

In Victoria it is illegal for bikes to pass a car on the left that is
indicating it is going to turn left but the situation you describe
is all to common and puts you in an impossible situation.

The situation described is entirely legal for hippy, in Victoria. It
is legal to pass stopped traffic on the left, and any driver turning
left must give suitable indication in advance and if staionary,
ensure that he does not turn on top of any cyclists coming past. The
driver f*$&ed up! The hard bit is to pick when the cars begin moving
before you pass on the left. I usually moderate my speed as the cars
begin to move then move into the flow of traffic ahead of a
stationary vehicle.

When Hippy wrote that the driver "turned towards a slip lane" I assumed the
car was in motion. In that instance Victorian Road Rule 141(2) should
apply: "The rider of a bicycle must not ride past, or overtake, to the left
of a vehicle that is turning left and is giving a left change of direction
signal."

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/randl/part_11.pdf

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 20th 04, 12:28 AM
hippy

"Peter Signorini" wrote in message
The situation described is entirely legal for hippy, in Victoria. It

is

I was 'reasonably' sure what I was doing was right..

not turn on top of any cyclists coming past. The driver f*$&ed up! The

hard
bit is to pick when the cars begin moving before you pass on the left.

usually moderate my speed as the cars begin to move then move into the

flow
of traffic ahead of a stationary vehicle.

Actually, the thing is the traffic had stopped totally, hence I
had no reason to think that any of the cars would be moving.
He only crept forward a couple of feet I guess, but it was
enough. After the tap I waited 10m down at the lights for a
minute or two before the guy had enough room to actually
make the slip lane. I looked at him when he was waiting for
the cross traffic to pass, but his lack of acknowledgement or
anything makes me think he didn't even notice me.. meh..

hippy

Old July 20th 04, 12:32 AM
hippy

"DRS" wrote in message
When Hippy wrote that the driver "turned towards a slip lane" I

assumed the
car was in motion. In that instance Victorian Road Rule 141(2) should
apply: "The rider of a bicycle must not ride past, or overtake, to the

left
of a vehicle that is turning left and is giving a left change of

direction
signal."

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/randl/part_11.pdf

The car was stationary and displayed no indicator until I
was beside it. If I thought the car was going to move I
wouldn't have ridden beside it... no biggie, I get just as
angry when I get a red light at the bottom of a nice hill!

hippy

Old July 22nd 04, 11:58 PM
? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}

"DRS" writes:

[...]

In Victoria it is illegal for bikes to pass a car on the left that is
indicating it is going to turn left

Indicating? What is this new and facinating thing you call
"Indicating"? I've noticed that alot of car's don't indicate, esp
when turning off of expressways.

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Free the Memes.
Old July 23rd 04, 12:14 AM
flyingdutch

? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} Wrote:
"DRS" writes:

[...]

In Victoria it is illegal for bikes to pass a car on the left that is
indicating it is going to turn left

Indicating? What is this new and facinating thing you call
"Indicating"? I've noticed that alot of car's don't indicate, esp
when turning off of expressways.

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Free the Memes.

aint there some minumum prior distance before enacting the 'indicated'
act that a driver must follow?

--
flyingdutch

Old July 23rd 04, 12:59 AM
DRS

"flyingdutch" wrote
in message
? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} Wrote:
"DRS" writes:

[...]

In Victoria it is illegal for bikes to pass a car on the left that
is indicating it is going to turn left

Indicating? What is this new and facinating thing you call
"Indicating"? I've noticed that alot of car's don't indicate, esp
when turning off of expressways.

That is true.

aint there some minumum prior distance before enacting the 'indicated'
act that a driver must follow?

Funnily enough, no. Victorian Road Rules 46(2) (left turn) and 48(2) (right
turn) simply say "The driver must give the change of direction signal for
long enough to give sufficient warning to other drivers and pedestrians."

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/randl/part_05.pdf

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 24th 04, 11:28 AM
mfhor

DRS Wrote:
"flyingdutch" wrote
in message
? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} Wrote:
"DRS" writes:

[...]

In Victoria it is illegal for bikes to pass a car on the left that
is indicating it is going to turn left

Indicating? What is this new and facinating thing you call
"Indicating"? I've noticed that alot of car's don't indicate, esp
when turning off of expressways.

That is true.

aint there some minumum prior distance before enacting the

'indicated'
act that a driver must follow?

Funnily enough, no. Victorian Road Rules 46(2) (left turn) and 48(2)
(right
turn) simply say "The driver must give the change of direction signal
for
long enough to give sufficient warning to other drivers and
pedestrians."

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/randl/part_05.pdf

--

A: Top-posters.

"Sufficient warning"? That's mostly two clicks, if they bother to
treat you as a valid road user. Being cut off by peripherally blind
motorists is one of the several top causes of bad crashes I've had.

M"Implant wing mirrors in ther skulls!"H

--
mfhor
Old July 24th 04, 12:03 PM
Paulus

The law seems to imply that indicating and intitiating the intended movement
AT THE SAME TIME is not acceptable. This is what tends to happen!

"DRS" wrote in message
"flyingdutch" wrote
in message
? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} Wrote:
"DRS" writes:

[...]

In Victoria it is illegal for bikes to pass a car on the left that
is indicating it is going to turn left

Indicating? What is this new and facinating thing you call
"Indicating"? I've noticed that alot of car's don't indicate, esp
when turning off of expressways.

That is true.

aint there some minumum prior distance before enacting the 'indicated'
act that a driver must follow?

Funnily enough, no. Victorian Road Rules 46(2) (left turn) and 48(2)

(right
turn) simply say "The driver must give the change of direction signal for
long enough to give sufficient warning to other drivers and pedestrians."

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/randl/part_05.pdf

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 24th 04, 03:04 PM
DRS

"Paulus" wrote in message

The law seems to imply that indicating and intitiating the intended
movement AT THE SAME TIME is not acceptable. This is what tends to
happen!

Yes. It's almost as bad as top-posting.

--

A: Top-posters.

OT Lightning near miss. Simon Mason UK 24 July 1st 04 10:00 AM
The Hell On Wheel Beauties muniracer Unicycling 19 May 28th 04 08:16 AM
I miss those days... .o0 0o. General 8 March 26th 04 12:44 PM
Former Miss America kills cyclist WBtobal General 55 October 18th 03 06:03 AM