are older bicycle tires hazardous too?

Old November 9th 04, 01:59 PM
Beaker

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:56:14 -0500, Roger Zoul quoth:
Beaker wrote:
:: On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:51:15 -0800, Ben Pfaff quoth:
::: I just noticed the following news article:
:::
::: DETROIT, Nov. 8 (UPI) -- A Massachusetts consumer safety
::: group wants Washington to require easy-to-read "born-on" dates
::: for vehicle tires, the Detroit News said Monday.
::: Safety Research & Strategies cited 50 crashes resulting
::: in 37 fatalities caused by older tires with very little wear
::: and tear in its petition to the National Highway Traffic Safety
::: Administration.
::: [...]
::
:: Odd, my car has been on the same tires for 10 years. I asked our
:: mechanic about them because they've got a lot of little surface
:: cracks, and he said not to worry. (My mountain bike has been on the
:: same knobbies for 10 years as well.)

What's odd? The fact that you drive on the same tires for 10 years or the
fact that older tires, with very little wear and tear seem to present a
greater risk of crashes? Obviously, you know that just because you're riding
old tires don't mean the observations are wrong.

The oddity is that my mechanic and the "safety group" seem (SEEM) to be in
disagreement, although the story clip doesn't actually specify the tire ages.

bkr

Old November 9th 04, 04:52 PM
Roger Zoul

::: Beaker wrote:
::::: On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:51:15 -0800, Ben Pfaff quoth:
:::::: I just noticed the following news article:
::::::
:::::: DETROIT, Nov. 8 (UPI) -- A Massachusetts consumer
:::::: safety group wants Washington to require easy-to-read
:::::: "born-on" dates for vehicle tires, the Detroit News said
:::::: Monday. Safety Research & Strategies cited 50
:::::: crashes resulting in 37 fatalities caused by older tires
:::::: with very little wear and tear in its petition to the
:::::: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
:::::: [...]
:::::
::::: Odd, my car has been on the same tires for 10 years. I asked
::::: our mechanic about them because they've got a lot of little
::::: surface cracks, and he said not to worry. (My mountain bike has
::::: been on the same knobbies for 10 years as well.)
:::
::: What's odd? The fact that you drive on the same tires for 10 years
::: or the fact that older tires, with very little wear and tear seem
::: to present a greater risk of crashes? Obviously, you know that just
::: because you're riding old tires don't mean the observations are
::: wrong.
::
:: The oddity is that my mechanic and the "safety group" seem (SEEM)
:: to be in disagreement, although the story clip doesn't actually
:: specify the tire ages.

That's odd?

Old November 9th 04, 05:19 PM
Ben Pfaff

Beaker writes:

The oddity is that my mechanic and the "safety group" seem (SEEM) to be in
disagreement, although the story clip doesn't actually specify the tire ages.

The full article, if I recall correctly, said that tires older
than six years were considered to be "too old" in the study.
--
Ben Pfaff
email:
Old November 9th 04, 06:12 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Beaker" wrote: Odd, my car has been on the same tires for 10 years. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Presumably your tires were not old when they were installed. What if they
had been stored for six or seven years and then put on your car? They would
now be 16 or 17 years old.

Is your car kept in a garage? I would expect outdoor parking to cause more
rapid ageing.

Old November 9th 04, 06:28 PM
Beaker

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:12:44 GMT, Leo Lichtman quoth:

Is your car kept in a garage? I would expect outdoor parking to cause more
rapid ageing.

80% outdoors during their lifetime. I was a bit concerned about the age
and surface cracking, but the mechanic said they were fine. They could
easily go another couple years before the tread gets too low, but I may
reconsider now.

However, I'll take my chances with my mountain bike knobbies.

bkr
Old November 9th 04, 09:01 PM
Maggie

Odd, my car has been on the same tires for 10 years. I asked our
mechanic about them because they've got a lot of little surface cracks,
and he said not to worry. (My mountain bike has been on the same knobbies
for 10 years as well.)

bkr

The same tires for 10 years? I wish I could get 6 months out of my
tires. I think it has something to do with the way I drive and
especially the way I park. :-) The curbs jump up and hit my tires. I
can't even imagine having tires 10 years unless I kept the car in the
garage. http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 10th 04, 01:12 AM
Pete

"Maggie" wrote

The same tires for 10 years? I wish I could get 6 months out of my
tires.

*Car* tires every 6 months? Dayum.

Rotate, and take some of the lead out of that foot.

Pete

Old November 10th 04, 06:04 AM
Beaker

On 9 Nov 2004 13:01:26 -0800, Maggie quoth:

The same tires for 10 years? I wish I could get 6 months out of my
tires.

Bike/bus/walk to work and play and you will. I only drive it once every
week or two.

bkr

Old November 10th 04, 01:23 PM
Maggie

"Pete" wrote in message ...
"Maggie" wrote

The same tires for 10 years? I wish I could get 6 months out of my
tires.

*Car* tires every 6 months? Dayum.

Rotate, and take some of the lead out of that foot.

Pete

I think it has to do more with the way I park. I can't seem to park a
car without hitting the curb. I've been trying to master this for
over 30 years. I am losing hope. :-(
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/