Pro unions...weak

Old June 29th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Pro unions...weak

If doping is so pervasive within the pro peloton, then why is the pro
cyclists' union (CPA) so weak in its rhetoric (and actions)?:

Pro sports leagues within the USA sandbag on anti-doping efforts
because the athletes unions have a very strong grip on ownership's
decisions. With their unity, they forcibly integrated very weak doping
regulations into the collective bargaining agreements.

If most of the pros are indeed doped (and form networks in order to
enable it), is that (in itself) not some kind of unity? Why have they
not organized themselves in more concrete ways and forced the UCI to
"go easy" on them?

I'm not saying they should do this, but I wonder why they have not.
Seeing the Spanish pro peloton walk out on their national championships
was what made me wonder this. Previously they'd not demonstrated any
meaningful unity (other than being ****ed over hard-shell helmet regs).

Old June 29th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
If doping is so pervasive within the pro peloton, then why is the pro
cyclists' union (CPA) so weak in its rhetoric (and actions)?:

Pro sports leagues within the USA sandbag on anti-doping efforts
because the athletes unions have a very strong grip on ownership's
decisions. With their unity, they forcibly integrated very weak doping
regulations into the collective bargaining agreements.

Athlete Unions in Europe are very weak. It might have to do with the
diverse nationalities.

If most of the pros are indeed doped (and form networks in order to
enable it), is that (in itself) not some kind of unity? Why have they
not organized themselves in more concrete ways and forced the UCI to
"go easy" on them?

Well, in this case the athletes, teams and the UCI are pretty
close-knit. You could say that the Uci is already going easy on them,
only acting when the civil judicial systems kicks in.

Phonak still has a license and is not being hindered at all by the UCI.
That in itself says enough.

I'm not saying they should do this, but I wonder why they have not.
Seeing the Spanish pro peloton walk out on their national championships
was what made me wonder this. Previously they'd not demonstrated any
meaningful unity (other than being ****ed over hard-shell helmet regs).

Riders go on strike and then the next day they all race again.
Rider-strikes have happened before, but it's pretty impotent (Hinault
confirmed being the BOSS when he led a strike).